Costa Rica Internet

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

SBurkholder

Supporting Member
Marketplace
My spouse and I are heading to Costa Rica for the first time next week. We will be visiting Osa Penninsula, San Vito, & San Gerardo de Dota. We generally don't carry field guides because we rely upon apps. I'm wondering what we can expect to see on the quality of Internet Data from those with recent experience. Are their cell providers who are better than others? Has anyone had experience with mobile hotspots? (good or bad).

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Steve

I buy a SIM card at the airport and any 4-band cell phone will work. In Latin America the app used is WhatsApp messenger and this is the best way to connect to lodges or guides. I buy a $10 SIM and it is more than enough for the calls I make in country.

Overall I have had better internet connectivity in Costa Rica than in California. It is only in the past 5 years I could get broadband at my house and I am 40 miles from the heart of Silicon Valley. The Costa Rican government has long supported internet in their small towns as a way to boost tourism and small businesses and schools, or the opposite situation to the USA.

I take cash for tips in $1, $5, and $10 denominations getting new bills at my local bank.

For the Osa Penninsula I would drive and fly in to the Libera airport, but if you decide to fly there be sure to check which in-country airline is still in operation.

My spouse and I are heading to Costa Rica for the first time next week. We will be visiting Osa Penninsula, San Vito, & San Gerardo de Dota. We generally don't carry field guides because we rely upon apps. I'm wondering what we can expect to see on the quality of Internet Data from those with recent experience. Are their cell providers who are better than others? Has anyone had experience with mobile hotspots? (good or bad).

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Steve
Better than Dallas in most places. AT&T works perfectly, no need for local phone. Just get the intl plan which is $10 unlimited calls and data.

The Osa is pretty terrific. You may meet Dennis Valverde, who is one of the best photographers and guides you could hope for. His instagram is @osa_photography. His family has a place called La Perica which is habitat for sloths and other creatures. Highly recommended

The Osa is pretty terrific. You may meet Dennis Valverde, who is one of the best photographers and guides you could hope for. His instagram is @osa_photography. His family has a place called La Perica which is habitat for sloths and other creatures. Highly recommended
Thanks -- I'll look for him.

Back