Costa Rica - Nikon Z9 or D850 or D5

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi all, I am a new member on this forum from the UK. I want some advice from you guys. I am going on a Costa Rica trip in April next year. I have a choice of buying a Nikon D850 and a D5 both used for the trip. Downside is that this delays my move to mirrorless and would mean I would then have to sell the gear some time in the future to then move to mirrorless, probably for less money. The other option is to buy a Nikon Z9. That gets me the latest technology but would mean I could only take this one camera as my budget will not stretch for two. What do you think I should do?

The difference in AF alone would say Z9 but if it's a once in a life time trip I'd really consider renting a z8 as a backup - the z9 with latest firmware seems very reliable but I wouldn't go with a single body, of any brand, on a special trip. If you do many trips a year and are ok with taking the chance then the z9 is as good a bet as any. I've never had a body go bad on me during a trip but I have traveled with people who had that issue and that's no fun.

I'm going to be making the same trip within the next 12 months. In the past when I used less expensive prosumer DSLR cameras I could afford to take two bodies on my African safaris. I have since replaced those with a single Z8. Half my lenses are F-mount DSLR lenses and half are Z-mount lenses.

I currently only have the Z8 and I don't intend purchasing a second mirrorless body as a backup for my future Costa Rica trip. I am fortunate, though, that my wife has a Z50 that I could borrow should my Z8 fail on a trip. The Z50 would not be ideal, but I would make it work. And of course all my lenses are equally usable on both bodies. In your case it would also depend on the lenses you want to take on the trip. If they are F-mount DSLR lenses then I would even consider renting a cheaper DSLR to take with as a backup. If you have Z-mount lenses then you are stuck with a Z-mount camera for a backup.

Hi all, I am a new member on this forum from the UK. I want some advice from you guys. I am going on a Costa Rica trip in April next year. I have a choice of buying a Nikon D850 and a D5 both used for the trip. Downside is that this delays my move to mirrorless and would mean I would then have to sell the gear some time in the future to then move to mirrorless, probably for less money. The other option is to buy a Nikon Z9. That gets me the latest technology but would mean I could only take this one camera as my budget will not stretch for two. What do you think I should do?
Just curious what camera you currently use and what you plan to shoot in Costa Rica.

I don’t think it’s necessarily a slam dunk on your options.

Note that I currently own a gripped D850 and a Z9 and shoot mostly birds. I prefer shooting with the Z9, but frankly, my keeper rate is about the same as the Z9’s AF improvements are balanced out by some weaknesses relative to my DSLR experience.

There are pros and cons to both choices. Here’s a few comparisons based on my experience.

D850 and D5
- may be more budget friendly with good used prices
- It’s a bulky combo but allows use of two different focal lengths at once
- you’ll have a backup camera
- better battery life
- essentially same IQ as Z9, if not a tad better for high ISO (D5) and dynamic range (D850)
- D5 better for shooting in low light at high ISO offering better AF and cleaner files
- Loud shutter release
- less expensive lenses

Z9
- Much higher frame rates and shutter speeds
- AF works at f/8 and smaller where DSLRs struggle or fail
- almost unlimited buffer with HE* raw and high speed type B CFExpress card
- almost silent operation
- pre-release mode
- brighter DSLR-like EVF viewfinder which would be helpful in low light
- EVF can be set to show shooting info and reflect exposure settings via brightness of viewfinder image
- can use Z and/or F mount lenses
- Subject ID in some AF modes - great when it works
- generally better Z lenses
- AF requires getting used to with pros and cons vs DSLR. Two different AF modes are often required, and despite numerous firmware updates (4.01), it still has a mirrorless tendancy to lock on backgrounds vs DSLRs. Workarounds are available but need to be learned.
- AF faster than DSLR when using TCs
- bring extra batteries
- consider refurbished Z9 to keep cost down

Last edited:
I took my 5th trip to Costa Rica in July 2022 with Steve. This time with the Z9. Difference using the mirrorless Z9 with my past experiences of using a DSLR were night and day.
Hands down I would recommend the Z9 or Z8. But a little risky taking only one camera as on rare occasion camera could malfunction. You could cover that possibility by getting a 2nd Nikon mirrorless camera such as a Z6 or Z6ii - could even buy that one used to save some money.

Silent shutter is huge. I'm a new member and only have experience with dslrs but I think silent shutter release is something I'd love to have. Last night I was out on a long nocturnal hike trying to find and perhaps photograph Common poorwills. We found quite a few but at the sound of my camera shutter, the closest one immediately flew. Oh well, it was a good scouting trip for a night when the moon is out. I'm trying to not use flash as flash is a one shot deal....the birds seem to do better with a very slow approach and gradual increase of light.

So, my uninformed advice is go for the z9 or z8 early enough to learn it well before you leave. Don't worry about backup too much, rent a backup, or get something cheap. (My backup is my old d90! It is also what I use when visiting "sketchy" areas in case of theft, with a 28mm-300mm zoom I'm not too fond of.)

Here's a successful poorwill shot from a different trip. This one stayed put on a dirt road in our headlights in our not-running car while I belly slithered closer. It was a long approach. Those quiet moments in photography when you can get close to a subject are magical. A silent shutter will enhance those, and of course the z9 is a "to dream for" camera.View attachment 68217

Darn it, the photo didn't go through, trying again....
DSC_7688__1_03.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

When I was in Costa Rica, I had two Nikon bodies and my most used lenses were a 300mm f4 pf and a 500mm f5.6 pf. I used extension tubes on the 300mm for macro shots of frogs so I did not take a separate macro lens. For some hummingbird shots I used flash to better show the lovely feather colors.

Today I would take my Z9 and likely not the flash as the increased dynamic range with the Z9 could eliminate the need for a flash. And a backup camera.

You need to factor in what you will be shooting as you make your camera and lens and accessory decisions. Be prepared for very high humidity!

Z9…newer sensor, better lenses if you use Z and even F ones generally perform better from what we’ve read, frame rate, AF, EVF…yeah, that’s the way to go.

Another vote for the Z9. One of the other advantages of mirrorless is the ability to see the histogram in live view, which is a game changer in low light photography (like in the rainforest). It's easy to push to the right and get a much better, more accurate exposure. You may consider renting a second body just for the trip as a backup without investing in owning a full-price one just yet.

I also suggest to go with the Z9 over the D850/D5. However, also consider the Z8 which is very similar to the Z9 with no difference in performance. With the difference in price between the Z8 and Z9, you could also pick up a second body (i.e. a used z6/z7). The z6/z7 are great cameras for landscape or macro photography (Costa Rica is a great location for macro photography with the huge diversity of invertebrates, frogs, lizards etc.). Also, the z6 is great for low light.

I also suggest to go with the Z9 over the D850/D5. However, also consider the Z8 which is very similar to the Z9 with no difference in performance. With the difference in price between the Z8 and Z9, you could also pick up a second body (i.e. a used z6/z7). The z6/z7 are great cameras for landscape or macro photography (Costa Rica is a great location for macro photography with the huge diversity of invertebrates, frogs, lizards etc.). Also, the z6 is great for low light.
The only thing with this is to watch the battery life on the Z8. I was on a workshop with a guy who had the Z8 as a backup to his Z9 and he went through about four batteries in the first half of the day. He just wanted to test the battery life. We had action so we were shooting a lot, but boy did he rip through the batteries. Next day was about the same but he didn't even clear half battery of use on his Z9 and promptly said he was returning the Z8. Might not be an issue for everyone and how they do photography, but worth considering.

Get the Z9 as soon as possible and start learning the camera. It has a steep learning curve and seems like its infinitely customizable. Don't worry about a backup body. In the event you needed a back up because of a failure there will be someone in your tour group that will gladly loan you one. This happened to me in Churchill where someone in my group didn't bring a long lens and I loaned him a 300 f4.

Just curious what camera you currently use and what you plan to shoot in Costa Rica.

I don’t think it’s necessarily a slam dunk on your options.

Note that I currently own a gripped D850 and a Z9 and shoot mostly birds. I prefer shooting with the Z9, but frankly, my keeper rate is about the same as the Z9’s AF improvements are balanced out by some weaknesses relative to my DSLR experience.

There are pros and cons to both choices. Here’s a few comparisons based on my experience.

D850 and D5
- It’s a bulky combo but allows use of two different focal lengths at once
- you’ll have a backup camera
- better battery life
- essentially same IQ as Z9, if not a a tad better for high ISO (D5) and dynamic range (D850)
- D5 better for shooting in low light at high ISO offering better AF and cleaner files
- Loud shutter release
- less expensive lenses

Z9
- Much higher frame rates and shutter speeds
- AF works at f/8 and smaller where DSLRs struggle or fail
- almost unlimited buffer with HE* raw and high speed type B CFExpress card
- almost silent operation
- pre-release mode
- brighter DSLR-like EVF viewfinder which would be helpful in low light
- EVF can be set to show shooting info and reflect exposure settings via brightness of viewfinder image
- can use Z and/or F mount lenses
- Subject ID in some AF modes - great when it works
- generally better Z lenses
- AF requires getting used to with pros and cons vs DSLR. Two different AF modes are often required, and despite numerous firmware updates (4.01), it still has a mirrorless tendancy to lock on backgrounds vs DSLRs. Workarounds are available but need to be learned.
- AF faster than DSLR when using TCs
- bring extra batteries
Excellent Evaluation without the bias I see in many comments regarding these cameras 👍

Hi
Given you’re on a wildlife forum let’s assume it is birds in Costa Rica that appeals to you. Then the Z9 is going to serve you very well, however as others have said I would practice with it a lot before your trip as it is finicky to learn. Given your budget constraints I would try to rent a back up as others have suggested or borrow a DSLR that you’re familiar with. My brand new Nikon z9 froze and locked me out on my last wildlife trip and all I had to do was reach down for my D 850 and I was back it business. Once I was back in hotel I then googled the z9 ( remove battery and re insert ) issue but I did not lose any shooting time in the field. Nor did I have the frustration of trying to solve a problem while wildlife was all around me. Have a great trip

Hello Marko! Just throwing in my two cents worth of suggestion. I shoot a D5 and Z7; my goal is to purchase a Z9. Once I make the purchase, I'll probably sell the D5 and keep the Z7 for a second camera. I think that you should keep in mind that if you purchase a D5 and/or D850, you probably won't be able to resell for what you paid, unless you're getting them for a very low price.
Personally, I would invest in the Z9 and an FTZ adapter. That way you can shoot F-mount and Z-mount lenses. I agree with the comments above about not taking only one camera on a trip of a lifetime. However, in keeping with a decision to purchase a Z9 and moving to Z-lenses, I would either buy a used Z6, 6 II, 7, 7 II since they're much less expensive, or simply rent one for the trip. Problem with renting is that they are usually quite pricey depending on the length of your stay, and you may find it more beneficial and cheaper to just buy a used body.
Sorry if I have repeated what others may have suggested. I didn't read every reply. Good luck and hope you have a great trip!

For overseas travel I always want a backup camera. It also enables me to use two lenses when out on a boat and not be making lens changes. For my trips to Costa Rica I would have the 80-400mm and the 500mm PF and the 600mm f/4E lenses. I would take two D850 bodies and the battery grips with EN-EL18 batteries. On a small boat I would have the 80-400mm on one body and the 500mm on the other one. In many places in Costa Rica I have hired a boat to photography wildlife.

The D5 is not a camera I would take with its much lower resolution sensor. A 500mm lens on a D850 provides me with roughly the same size image file as a 600mm lens on a D5 camera. A DX crop on a D5 provides a 9MP file or less resolution than from the old D2x camera. I get a great deal more effective reach with the D850 camera.

I have two Z9 cameras but if I was starting out and on a budget I would buy the Z8 cameras or a Z8 and a used Z7 II camera. Used Z9 cameras are being listed on fredmiranda for as little as $4100 so that is an option as well.

The Z8 and Z9 are about 99% the same. That means that what you learn about one translates very well to the other. On a recent trip, I had the Z 100-400 on the Z8 and the 400 f4.5 on the Z9. It didn't matter what camera+lens combo I picked up, they both worked the same.

The Z7 II is similar but very different (for me) than the Z8 and Z9. When I carried a Z7 II and the Z9, I quit using the Z7 II because just learning how to use the Z9 was challenging enough without trying to pick up the Z7 II and face a different set of options and customization. Once I got home from the trip, I sold the Z7 II.

What camera bodies have you used in the past? What lenses will you be using?

Back