Costa Rica recommendations for family with birder nerd

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

eft

My family is looking at spending two weeks in Costa Rica over Christmas 2022. We stayed on the Caribbean coast some years ago and would like to explore the Pacific coast this time. I'm looking for any suggestions that would accommodate the family's preference for a relaxing beach scene and my interest in nature photography. We could fly to Liberia or San Jose and possibly take internal flights if that made sense. We have used vrbo and local guides in the past with success. Thanks in advance.

My family is looking at spending two weeks in Costa Rica over Christmas 2022. We stayed on the Caribbean coast some years ago and would like to explore the Pacific coast this time. I'm looking for any suggestions that would accommodate the family's preference for a relaxing beach scene and my interest in nature photography. We could fly to Liberia or San Jose and possibly take internal flights if that made sense. We have used vrbo and local guides in the past with success. Thanks in advance.

Manuel Antonio in Central Pacific and Papagayo in North Pacific check all the boxes. Book now, that's the highest of the High Season.

Reactions: eft
I was in Costa Rica a few years ago, based in Punta Leona, on the Pacific coast. I don't recall the name of the hotel where we stayed, but it may have been Hotel Punta Leona. The resort was situated adjacent to a natural park, where we spotted a wide array of incredible avifauna - toucans, parrots, hummers, and many others. It was great not having to drive anywhere to get out in beautiful natural areas. The amazing Parque Nacional Cararas also is a short distance away, and a trip down the River Tarcoles is not to be missed, where gigantic crocodiles abound. Enjoy your trip!

Manuel Antonio in Central Pacific and Papagayo in North Pacific check all the boxes. Book now, that's the highest of the High Season.
I was in Costa Rica a few years ago, based in Punta Leona, on the Pacific coast. I don't recall the name of the hotel where we stayed, but it may have been Hotel Punta Leona. The resort was situated adjacent to a natural park, where we spotted a wide array of incredible avifauna - toucans, parrots, hummers, and many others. It was great not having to drive anywhere to get out in beautiful natural areas. The amazing Parque Nacional Cararas also is a short distance away, and a trip down the River Tarcoles is not to be missed, where gigantic crocodiles abound. Enjoy your trip!

Thank you both so much !

We’ve just come back from Papagayo with similar requirements. Many hotels available. Still working on the bird list but it’s upward of 150 species in 3 days birding. Flew into Liberia. 3rd time in 10 years always using same guide in tenorio/Liberia. Not cheap but we’ll worth it. Happy to share contact details if it helps you.

I'm based out of Playa Jaco, about 45 mins from Manuel Antonio if you need any local advice.

Reactions: eft
We’ve just come back from Papagayo with similar requirements. Many hotels available. Still working on the bird list but it’s upward of 150 species in 3 days birding. Flew into Liberia. 3rd time in 10 years always using same guide in tenorio/Liberia. Not cheap but we’ll worth it. Happy to share contact details if it helps you.
Please share. I'm also planning a similar trip and we're looking for a good guide as well.

Last edited:
@Nimi - my boss (not a birder) is looking at accommodation in the Bejuco district and the La Fortuna district. Do you have any advice for birding in these areas?

@Nimi - my boss (not a birder) is looking at accommodation in the Bejuco district and the La Fortuna district. Do you have any advice for birding in these areas?
Bejuco is a tiny little spot 30 minutes south of here. There is not much there, a couple of "hotels" on the beach. AirBNB is best bet. There is literally nothing there except pretty sunset, he is better off in Playa Hermosa (15 min north) or Manuel Antonio (30 min south) or even Jaco and drive down to watch the sunset. I am not a birder, but Manuel Antonio National Park is a good spot around here.

I don't know LA Fortuna personally, never been. You often hear from tourists about Nayara and The Springs but I can't give a personal opinion.

Back