Costa Rica reptiles and amphibians.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Rassie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
A walk through the rain forest netted us views of some frogs and snakes. I didn't have the macro lens with me so I had to make do with the 500mm PF.

Eyelash pit viper
NZ8_1156-Enhanced-NR.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Blue jeans poison dart frog
NZ8_0933-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Excellent camouflage - species unknown
NZ8_1178-Enhanced-NR.jpg

I think the images are great. I have often used my telephoto (300, 400, 500) when shooting reptiles and insects. Often this lets you take images of a creature which is naturally shy and wouldn't tolerate your being just inches away. You also get the benefit of a bit more depth of field which can sometimes come in handy. KKR

A+ ....very well done
Thanks, Andrew. Photogenic subjects make it easier.
I think the images are great. I have often used my telephoto (300, 400, 500) when shooting reptiles and insects. Often this lets you take images of a creature which is naturally shy and wouldn't tolerate your being just inches away. You also get the benefit of a bit more depth of field which can sometimes come in handy. KKR

Nice work! That 500 PF makes a good macro lens.
Thanks. It's not ideal, but I still got some half-decent images with it in this case.
WOW what great images!!!
Thanks. :)
Thanks, Louis.

Thanks. You’re right. One thing with the 500mm PF is its relatively long closest focus distance. On a few occasions here I was somewhat limited in where I could maneuver to get the best angle. Much vegetation in the way.

Thanks, Karen. I should have left my 24-70mm lens at home and taken the 105mm macro in its place in the backpack. Hindsight = 20/20.
Experience taught me to leave the 24-70 at home on trips to Africa, Costa Rica, etc. on a wildlife trip. I took it on my first trip to Africa......and only took a couple of photos with it. Instead, if I want a landscape, I create one by taking several shots with a longer lens. Here's a pano (2 shots) made with an 80mm....

Experience taught me to leave the 24-70 at home on trips to Africa, Costa Rica, etc. on a wildlife trip. I took it on my first trip to Africa......and only took a couple of photos with it. Instead, if I want a landscape, I create one by taking several shots with a longer lens. Here's a pano (2 shots) made with an 80mm....
Good advice, thanks. And that pano landscape - just excellent. :)

Great to see your shots taken with a 500mm lens. I have used the Nikon 200mm f/4 micro lens on my DSLR cameras for the frogs and very poisonous vipers in CR and not happy with the 105mm focal length of the Z macro lens.

Like the guy there who squatted down in front of the snake on the ground to take images with his phone……
I think you misunderstand my meaning here, Koos. I'm not saying you can't get close without getting bit, but that's exactly how someone 'eventually' gets bit, by getting TOO close, and I'd hate to see anyone get hurt or killed is all I'm saying. Have a nice day, buddy.

Back