Cotton Carriere Sling Belt or Alternative - Need Input

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi everyone, I have recently been diagnosed with a disk in my back that is bulging and impinging on the nerve root in my low back (L4-L5)...the joys of getting older! The weight of carrying my Z9 with 600mm PF f6.3 attached is causing increased back pain, so I'm looking for a way to off-load the weight from my low back. I've looked at the Cotton Carrier Sling Belt
(https://www.cottoncarrier.com/products/new-sling-belt) as one possibility, which looks like it might place a lot of the weight on my hips/legs (and below my lower back). I've reviewed the thread on this forum on the Cotton Carrier vest (?Skout), but it seems it might still place most of the weight on my low back. For those using a Cotton Carrier system, do you recommend the attachment point be to the lens foot collar rather than to the camera (which might be problematic for me, as I have a RRS L-bracket on the Z9)? Thank you in advance for any guidance or recommendations you can provide.

Welcome to the bulging disc club.

I recently invested in a Peak design Capture Clip system that essentially acts like holster putting the weight onto your hip. It clips to your belt, but other people have recommended using it with a separate tactical belt, so it’s not pulling your pants down 😉.

For me this is easier on my back and takes the discomfort off my shoulders and neck from sling straps.

That is one option, or a few use a tactical belt with the Peak Design Capture Clip and ProPad on the belt. I also have a Spider Tool Holder (not the photography one) to attach a monopod or tripod. Other have lens buckets on them too.

You could attach the connectors to the lens foot but it may balance awkward. Looks like the RRS bracket has a place to screw in the adapters but it does mean can't use it on a tripod on that side.

Last edited:
EDIT: One other option is to have a waist pack that is somewhat full and an easily adjustable strap (I use Peak again) and allow the camera and lens to rest on that. Here are images for your reference of the belt and attachments.

belt - 1.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
belt - 2.jpeg
belt - 3.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I have recently been diagnosed with a disk in my back that is bulging and impinging on the nerve root in my low back (L4-L5)...the joys of getting older! The weight of carrying my Z9 with 600mm PF f6.3 attached is causing increased back pain, so I'm looking for a way to off-load the weight from my low back. I've looked at the Cotton Carrier Sling Belt
(https://www.cottoncarrier.com/products/new-sling-belt) as one possibility, which looks like it might place a lot of the weight on my hips/legs (and below my lower back). I've reviewed the thread on this forum on the Cotton Carrier vest (?Skout), but it seems it might still place most of the weight on my low back. For those using a Cotton Carrier system, do you recommend the attachment point be to the lens foot collar rather than to the camera (which might be problematic for me, as I have a RRS L-bracket on the Z9)? Thank you in advance for any guidance or recommendations you can provide.
Have had two back fusions, one with artificial disk. Use the CC Vest and it is great. CC has a 7” plate that I mount to lens foot on 70-200 2.8, 80-400 or 500PF. I put hub on plate (body end) and it works great. Hopefully they will put QD on it (other end) for when putting on a tripod/monopod. For now I use a Black Rapid adaptor ($25) that acts as a “stop” on other end. One could also use a Peak Design “thing a ma jig).
Vest is more comfortable than Skout in my opinion.

Back