Crazy, but serious question regarding a CHEAP $ camera

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Refurbished Nikon COOLPIX B600: $264.

Coolpix can be a realistic option if she can get one used at the right price, but she should still get it sometime before the trip & practice at home with the settings. Here's a Coolpix P610 photo I took yesterday of a fairly small subject, but to get this image you had to know about the Scene options in the menu. (Birds is one of them.) It's still a point and shoot but not as intuitive as her phone would be. I also met a lady in Ecuador who was using her Coolpix to grab bird pictures so she could blow them up on her computer & view them later because she is vision impaired. Worked surprisingly well. There are other settings for night photography, museum photography, all kinds of tourist settings but she needs to be aware of them to use them.

Attachments

• APRIL 5 RHWO 1080square.jpg
    APRIL 5 RHWO 1080square.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
One problem with the nikon D300 is the back screen is susceptible to misting over . Mine did and the only one way to fix it I found was to put it in an air tight plastic bag with silica bags for a few weeks. my advice is when not using to do this

One problem with the nikon D300 is the back screen is susceptible to misting over . Mine did and the only one way to fix it I found was to put it in an air tight plastic bag with silica bags for a few weeks. my advice is when not using to do this
Sorry to hear about your experience.

I and several others in the club have had the D300 and D300 s for ages and in cases several of them at the same time.

We luckily have never come across the issue you mention.

There is a trick in the D300 software that can be tweaked that makes the D300 around 9 fps, a former Nikon service tech did it to mine and several others.
In its time it was an amazing camera wild excellent build quality, that said today it really present bullet proof performance, its a lot of solid camera for the money.

I have seen them going for as little as $150 - $180.

Last edited:
Back