Cropped or Uncropped?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Uncropped vs Cropped?

• Total voters
I agree about removing some of the image on the right side where the bright background pulls the viewer's eyes away from the prime subject.

I do not go much by the rule of thirds but I will draw an imaginary line from an upper corner diagonally to the opposite lower corner. Often as not the placement of the subject along this line makes for the strongest image.

When I first looked at the image on my screen the first thought I had was that it needed a Levels adjustment.
It’s level

An option....used Transform in LrC and some cropping.
owl shot.png

I prefer to use cropping sparingly to reframe the image. I think the background here makes cropping difficult. I would crop less than you have. The large shape in the tree branch competes too much with the owl. It’s not often possible but I try to circle around to get a different angle when large objects seem potentially distracting.

I have only taken owl shots successfully in Costa Rica and circling around was not possible because of the jungle. I think the way Viathelens has cropped it is a really decent edit.

Back