D500 not recognizing CF Express Type B card

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi all, I recently purchased a Sandisk 64GB CF Express type B card to use in my D500. When I insert the card the LCD shows Err on the bottom right and CArd on the top. I formatted the card on my PC and reinserted it with the camera powered off. While off with the card inserted I was able to get the remaining shot count on the bottom right of the LCD, but when I turn the camera on it immediately shows the Err and CArd messages on the LCD. I tried turning it on/off a few times and I was able to get the CF Express card to work and write some test photos to it, but it eventually goes back to Err. I also tried doing the two button reset as well as the "Reset all Settings" option from the Menu, but I'm still getting the same behavior. When I attempt to format the card in camera I get "Cannot access and format this memory card. Insert another card". My PC recognizes the card just fine. Would you say this is an issue with the CFe slot on my D500, or a card issue? I have the latest firmware (1.31) and a fresh battery. Thanks!

Hi all, I recently purchased a Sandisk 64GB CF Express type B card to use in my D500. When I insert the card the LCD shows Err on the bottom right and CArd on the top. I formatted the card on my PC and reinserted it with the camera powered off. While off with the card inserted I was able to get the remaining shot count on the bottom right of the LCD, but when I turn the camera on it immediately shows the Err and CArd messages on the LCD. I tried turning it on/off a few times and I was able to get the CF Express card to work and write some test photos to it, but it eventually goes back to Err. I also tried doing the two button reset as well as the "Reset all Settings" option from the Menu, but I'm still getting the same behavior. When I attempt to format the card in camera I get "Cannot access and format this memory card. Insert another card". My PC recognizes the card just fine. Would you say this is an issue with the CFe slot on my D500, or a card issue? I have the latest firmware (1.31) and a fresh battery. Thanks!
Is your D500 firmware up to date. The latest firmware update allows cf cards. I think it’s something like 1.3.1. If it’s not this, you can only use XQD cards

Yes, I do have the latest firmware.
I no longer have my D500, having sold it two years ago when I received my Z9, but there are some compatibility issues with some cards with the D500 and D850. You may want to check Nikon's compatibility listing for the card you have.

The Angelbird cards I ordered at the same time I ordered my Z9 arrived months before the Z9 did, so I wanted to try them in my DSLR's. As it turned out, the two 160GB cards I had would not work reliably in either camera, but Angelbird had a firmware update that solved the problem. Fortunately, with their card reader, which I bought, it allowed me to upgrade a newer version of their FW which solved the problem. Prior to the FW update, both cards worked fine writing to/from my computer, but I got the same message you did when I tried to use or format them in the cameras. No issues at all with the Z9 or Z8.

I no longer have my D500, having sold it two years ago when I received my Z9, but there are some compatibility issues with some cards with the D500 and D850. You may want to check Nikon's compatibility listing for the card you have.

The Angelbird cards I ordered at the same time I ordered my Z9 arrived months before the Z9 did, so I wanted to try them in my DSLR's. As it turned out, the two 160GB cards I had would not work reliably in either camera, but Angelbird had a firmware update that solved the problem. Fortunately, with their card reader, which I bought, it allowed me to upgrade a newer version of their FW which solved the problem. Prior to the FW update, both cards worked fine writing to/from my computer, but I got the same message you did when I tried to use or format them in the cameras. No issues at all with the Z9 or Z8.
Yep I think that's it! Per this page, I have an unsupported CF Express card. The logo on the back of mine is all black, which indicates it's an unsupported "IN" series. I didn't even know this was a thing, but that explains it. Back it goes.

Glad you got it figured out. I'm still using my XQD cards in my Z8 and Z9 for general purpose stills photography, mostly use the CFe cards for 8K or 120P video...or some stills where I know I might be shooting bursts, though that's rare.

Back