D7500 focus point(s)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

How-d...likely a very rookie question and I did review posts for an answer...but if I missed please feel free to link me to any post I missed...

I have a D3500 and a D7500. On the D3500, the single-point focus is a red dot/point, while on the D7500 the single-point focus is a square. Is there a more precise focus point option I'm not aware of on the D7500? And if not - is it simply that I need to get lens or closer to the subject so that the square is more specific to the point I'm aiming at (like an eye/pupil versus a whole head) I occasionally get what I feel is a crisp shot, but the ratio is very low. Could I be miss-using the single-point - particularly when I'm unable to fill the point with just the exact area I'm aiming for?

Fan disclaimer: Steve - enjoy and appreciate your videos!

Is there a more precise focus point option I'm not aware of on the D7500?
Not that I'm aware of, the D7500 has relatively large AF points in Single Point AF Area mode compared to some other cameras but the D3500 doesn't exactly have tiny areas as indicated by the single dot, it just displays the selected AF point as a dot instead of a square.

And if not - is it simply that I need to get lens or closer to the subject so that the square is more specific to the point I'm aiming at (like an eye/pupil versus a whole head) I occasionally get what I feel is a crisp shot, but the ratio is very low
Hard to say without seeing the kind of images that are giving you trouble but generally speaking you want the selected AF point to cover only the part of your subject where you want to grab focus like the eyes, head or neck. If the single point is spanning both parts you're interested in like eyes but also parts of the background then AF can struggle. FWIW my Z6 II is similar in that the single AF point is really large and for most reliable results I have to get closer optically or physically so the eye (what I usually focus on with wildlife) fills most or all of that large single AF point.

While I don't know your camera, I know from fiddling with mine that if I tape a white paper to a wall or use a wall calendar, and slowly move the camera closer and closer to an edge, I can see the place where the af snaps in. It isn't always exactly on the edge of the focus point. So it will give you an idea how your af is responding. Also keep in mind that sharp focus is in a flat plane parallel to the sensor, not just that tiny point, so if parts of the subject are angled relative to the sensor they might not fall in the plane of sharp focus and then you have to rely on your depth of field. Also things like camera shake or subject motion can fool you and might look like out of focus, but just need faster shutter speed.

Thanks for the replies...I'll keep snapping pics and learning the AF functions better...if I find some examples that concern me I'll post 'em and see what feedback y'all might have.

Back