D850 ERR

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

MalcolmP

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Would like to share a recent ERR event with my three year old D850 and ask for feedback.

While shooting, D850 displayed ERR message and ceased to function. Removed and replaced battery and still got ERR message. Several hours later, turned it back on with no ERR message and normal function.
Two weeks later, while shooting, D850 displayed ERR message and ceased to function. Removed and replaced battery and still got ERR message. Reset all settings. Still got ERR message.
Shipped to Insurance Co. designated repair facility ( see my subsequent post re Square Trade / Allstate if interested).
Repair facility indicated that camera electronics were damaged, most likely by a defective battery, and their only comment was " Use Authentic Nikon Battery " When I asked how one might know the battery was defective before impacting the camera they had no response.
All batteries I own are Nikon EN-EL 15b bought from B&H at the same time I bought the camera.
I have tried the same batteries in the repaired D850 and a D7100 with no ERR message. I have (5) EN-EL15 batteries. Do I chuck them and buy new and wait for the same thing to happen or keep using them and wait for the same thing to happen?
Appreciate anybody's expertise. Thank you.

I saw your other article. the D850 probably uses the 15a as the camera predates the b and c versions. But the newer batteries should work just fine. I use all three on my Z6 for example. The difference in the batteries is to do with charging and using while in camera….and that’s the camera feature being catered for.

Back