D850 Focus Point Jumping Around

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Not set for Auto-AF, and I have it set for BBF, single point with the function button for group, and I'm not hitting the joystick. Any thoughts on whether this is an electronic repair issue or a "you're doing something really stupid" issue?
Thanks folks.

So...I'll look to set my AF point and instead of staying on the target, it just keeps wandering around the viewfinder. I hit the joystick to recenter, and sometime it starts behaving normally and sometimes I have to power off and restart and it seems to stop for a bit. Doesn't matter if VR is on or not.. I don't notice it happening on first start up.

My first thought is you have VR on a lens turned on, in which case this is normal.
Appreciate the response, but I've never seen this behavior before with or without VR unless I was in Auto-AF mode, which I hardly ever use. My D500 doesn't do this (and hopefully won't start now that I've opened my mouth).

Appreciate the response, but I've never seen this behavior before with or without VR unless I was in Auto-AF mode, which I hardly ever use. My D500 doesn't do this (and hopefully won't start now that I've opened my mouth).

Does it jump to totally random points, or does it move around in a mostly continuous way, e.g. like a bug walking around?

So...I'll look to set my AF point and instead of staying on the target, it just keeps wandering around the viewfinder. I hit the joystick to recenter, and sometime it starts behaving normally and sometimes I have to power off and restart and it seems to stop for a bit. Doesn't matter if VR is on or not.. I don't notice it happening on first start up.
Sounds like a bad joystick.

Back