D850, periodical service ?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello,
I love my D850....and want to keep it healthy,

Do you think that there should be a periodical service necessary......like a predictive maintenance?
Or after a certain "milage" of the gear?
Even, when all is working perfect....autofocus, exposure, etc.

My D850 is now 4 years old, has 31500 shutter count (incl. 1500 electronic shutter count).
My camera never saw up to now a Nikon Service point from inside.

Greetings
Thomas

IMG_6138 1 1.jpg

The shutter is rated for 200,000 cycles. Unless you are having problems, there is no need for servicing. But if it will make you feel better.......

I have a couple of those, soon to be for sale, but maybe once a year before an africa or india safari, I would them off to APS for a cleaning and general inspection. Whether needed or not I'm not sure, but worth the $$ for the peace of mind factor. My d850s never missed a beat, no issues other than operator error ever. I'll miss them when they are gone.....

On the one hand, If it ain't broke... but I think I would send it in (at some point)....check out Nikon maintenance fees.
Thank you!

That is a perfect description of the offered services with the respective price.
In Germany it is more general described with one package price of 49 € for registered cameras.
But I expect Nikon has the same procedure for services within their own service points.

I have a couple of those, soon to be for sale, but maybe once a year before an africa or india safari, I would them off to APS for a cleaning and general inspection. Whether needed or not I'm not sure, but worth the $$ for the peace of mind factor. My d850s never missed a beat, no issues other than operator error ever. I'll miss them when they are gone.....
That is also what I consider....before an expensive photo tour to bring it to inspection. It gives a better feeling ;)

For things like cameras I subscribe to the let well enough alone theory. Every time you open it up and pull things out you risk introducing a fault.

Just sent one of my D500'S to Nikon Melville this week. When it is returned, I will send in my second body for the same service. Premium maintenance.

I have had them both since they were introduced. This will be the second time for both bodies.

When I get them back, they appear and feel as new . Autofocus is improved. Sensors are spotless. No dust in or on the camera body. Even the on/off switch seems to behave as new. I believe they really do go over the cameras and the service fee seems well worth it.

These 'old fashioned' DSLRs ( :) ) have shutters and mirrors that move - mechanical parts that can wear and may need lubrication. The mirror may need adjusting after 1000's of operations. I don't think Nikon Service is going to put a pox on cameras they work on. IOW, I don't think there is much risk to having Nikon service a camera before a big trip (but I would want it back in time to test it before any trip). Periodic cleanings and tune ups help keep the camera working like new and i don't see this as something to fear (except for shipping -- insure it).
I plan to send in my Z9 next year and it obviously has no shutter or mirrors. But a good going over by the Nikon folks trained to work on them seems appropriate nonetheless.

Last edited:
Back