Dark Green Fritillary on a Thistle head.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Gottshotz

Supporting Member
Marketplace
A1C01347-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Taken handheld at Murlough Nature Reserve, a coastal area of sand dunes at the foot of the Mourne Mountains, with the Sony a1 and 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 at 241mm ISO 640, 1/3200 Sec., @f5.6 .These medium sized butterflies can be locally quite common, but only in small areas that contain large clumps of their foodplant -- The Dog Violet. With most Fritillary species it's the underside wing patterns which help to identify them.

Last edited:
Great capture. Happy to see another fritillary. Especially a dark green as I do not believe they are in the United States. Great detail on your shot.

Great capture. Happy to see another fritillary. Especially a dark green as I do not believe they are in the United States. Great detail on your shot.
Thanks Bill --- Unfortunately we only have 3 species of Fritillaries over here in Ireland, despite there being many more in nearby England. However, with climate change we are getting more southern and continental species visiting, so possibly in a relatively short period of time, they too, will stay and breed over here !

These medium sized butterflies can be locally quite common, but only in small areas that contain large clumps of their foodplant -- The Dog Violet. With most Fritillary species it's the underside wing patterns which help to identify them.
Beautiful image David! I love the wing detail.

...So I'll wait for the wild rose that's waiting for me In the place where the dark Mournes sweep down to the sea. :)

Back