Delkin CFExpress Type B Memory Card Reader Mode

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Whiskeyman

Supporting Member
Marketplace
For those who own and use the Delkin memory card reader model DDREADER-54/56/58, are you using it as it was shipped (Removable Mode) or are you using it in the Fixed mode?

If you converted the reader from Removable mode to Fixed mode yourself, were there any "gotchas" in the process? And are you seeing a noticeable increase in memory card read and write performance after making the change?

For those who own and use the Delkin memory card reader model DDREADER-54/56/58, are you using it as it was shipped (Removable Mode) or are you using it in the Fixed mode?

If you converted the reader from Removable mode to Fixed mode yourself, were there any "gotchas" in the process? And are you seeing a noticeable increase in memory card read and write performance after making the change?
I was going to ask the same question. There is someone else that reads the instruction, just don't tell Maureen.
Wonder which mode is better for video. Also, if I reformat the card, do I need to run the utility again.

Last edited:
I have two Delkin card readers. I cannot work out how to change from Removable to Fixed. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I feel I should used Fixed mode...
Lightroom and Capture One Pro on a Mac. Thank you!
I

I have two Delkin card readers. I cannot work out how to change from Removable to Fixed. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I feel I should used Fixed mode...
Lightroom and Capture One Pro on a Mac. Thank you!
I
You have to go the the Delkin Support page to get the software: Delkin Card Reader Mode Switch However, from what I saw, it is only available for Windows OS, not Mac OS. Do you have access to a Windows machine?

You have to go the the Delkin Support page to get the software: Delkin Card Reader Mode Switch However, from what I saw, it is only available for Windows OS, not Mac OS. Do you have access to a Windows machine?
I could but it probably isn't worth it under the circumstances. It seems to be OK as it is, so I might not worry about it. It may not even do anything on my Mac....!
Thank you for the heads up!
I

FYI...
I have an update regarding the DDREADER-56.
Since I just got my Z8 (upgrade from Z6), I needed to get new CF cards and reader. I purchased Delkin CFB and SD-Power 128gb cards (no video really).
I read everything and that compatible with Mac OS. I expected d/l speeds of up to 10GB/s. And, yes, I understood Removable vs Fixed.
Removable reduces performance up to 50%. Fixed allows maximum speeds based on your equipment-ports and cables.
And, they have indicated that the Readers come Fixed as default.
Got mine. Paper inside indicated Removable is default.
I then went to d/l Utility to change and found that for PC only (I missed this). Figured I would connect to friend's PC and adjust.
I called Delkin to discuss.
It turns out that it does not matter how the Reader is set when connecting to a Mac. It will default to 'Fixed', but at Removable speeds!
So using this on a Mac does not provide expected and promised performance.
This has been confirmed with Delkin Customer Support.
I subsequently returned to B&H (great) and purchased the ProGrade CFG dual slot USB 3.2 Gen2.
Hope this helps Mac users.

FYI...
I have an update regarding the DDREADER-56.
Since I just got my Z8 (upgrade from Z6), I needed to get new CF cards and reader. I purchased Delkin CFB and SD-Power 128gb cards (no video really).
I read everything and that compatible with Mac OS. I expected d/l speeds of up to 10GB/s. And, yes, I understood Removable vs Fixed.
Removable reduces performance up to 50%. Fixed allows maximum speeds based on your equipment-ports and cables.
And, they have indicated that the Readers come Fixed as default.
Got mine. Paper inside indicated Removable is default.
I then went to d/l Utility to change and found that for PC only (I missed this). Figured I would connect to friend's PC and adjust.
I called Delkin to discuss.
It turns out that it does not matter how the Reader is set when connecting to a Mac. It will default to 'Fixed', but at Removable speeds!
So using this on a Mac does not provide expected and promised performance.
This has been confirmed with Delkin Customer Support.
I subsequently returned to B&H (great) and purchased the ProGrade CFG dual slot USB 3.2 Gen2.
Hope this helps Mac users.
How does this new card perform?

Delkin DDREADER56.jpegI feel a bit annoyed about the Delkin reader running slowly on Macs. That wasn’t made clear when I bought three of them. Not fair really.
I agree. I had this conversation with Delkin about misleading information. The customer service person even said that he had suggested modifying their wording in the past. I would call Delkin and ask them to authorize a full refund from their dealer. Fortunately I was able to return it the day after I received it. I even took this picture of the box before I returned it to illustrate how misleading. 'Mac & Windows Compatible' is misleading. Don't you think?

I use these cards for their in-camera performance, where it matters to me.

When I'm uploading images to my computer drives, I can start it and go about another task. I've pretty much done this ever since I started digital photography with large numbers of files to transfer. It doesn't matter how fast the transfer rate is, I'm not just sitting around waiting for several thousand, or even several hundred, 50-70 MB files to upload.

I would like to know why the performance on a Mac is less than on a Windows machine...

I use these cards for their in-camera performance, where it matters to me.

When I'm uploading images to my computer drives, I can start it and go about another task. I've pretty much done this ever since I started digital photography with large numbers of files to transfer. It doesn't matter how fast the transfer rate is, I'm not just sitting around waiting for several thousand, or even several hundred, 50-70 MB files to upload.

I would like to know why the performance on a Mac is less than on a Windows machine...
That is something only Delkin can answer.

I doubt it. Apple does not test or comment on non-Apple products.
You are correct that Apple doesn't typically comment on such things, but I still believe that someone at Apple knows enough about their OS architecture to have a good idea why it works the way it does. If not, I'd believe that somewhere, a Mac expert can figure out why.

Back