Desktop for photography editing

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Another consideration is the speed of the USB ports provided. I have a HP Z4 tower that I bought in 2020 and it has four USB 3.0 ports. For $140 I was able to add a PCIe card to the computer and gain four USB 3.2/3.1 Gen 2 ports with 4x the data throughput. I noticed how long it was taking to move my Z9 files off the CFexpress card onto the computer and this is going to be an ever present situation with the Z9 files. It would be even worse with the Sony A7R files.

A key drawback with the Apple computers is the limited options for upgrading without having to buy a new computer. I am not at all inclined to spend $9,000 for an entry level Mac Pro tower computer.

What I like about the HP tower computers is that they are considered business class machines and so include a 3-year onsite service warranty that can be extended for 5 more years for only $62.40. I had a problem with one tower computer and phoned tech support on Saturday and on Monday a tech showed up at my house with a replacement part. Can't beat that for service.
I have both iMac 27 & a Dell XPS; while the screen if iMac is great, I always felt to be locked in a high-walled garden. If I need to hook up any peripherals to the Mac, I always need to double check to make sure "It works with MacOS". No such problem with PC, there is an abundant of choices with extra hardwares without paying 3 or 4 times over a simple USB 3.0 cable.

I have swapped out the main C drive SSD drives, twice from 500Gb to 1Tb to 2TB in a few min; upgraded the GPU twice, to name but a few.

Oliver

Back