Desktop Replacement Options

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Barbara

Supporting Member
Marketplace
The motherboard on my PC from Puget Systems has failed, and as it's 8 years old it might make more sense to replace the whole computer than to attempt a repair. But is there any source other then Puget I should consider?

Good question! I bought a gaming computer from HP back in 2019 and it still works well for me. I waited until the back to school sales came along in late August and got a very good price.
I have used Dell computers in the past and liked them as well, but the HP gave me more for less...better cpu and graphics card back in 2019.
Best,
Alex

Not knowing the specifications of your current machine to be sure, I would think that given its age it is time for a replacement. A new motherboard will likely have a different CPU socket and may require different RAM. That said, you can probably reuse the case, power supply, CPU cooler and some other parts. You might try building your own. It's pretty easy and their are lots of tutorials online.

Build your own, its actually pretty straight forward. A lot has changed in the last year or two, so I would suggest a new build instead of repair. I can provide links to some really excellent videos for creator builds at different price points.

Last edited:
I also use Puget Systems and when it's time, I plan on getting another custom build from them. They were so easy to work with and, since I'm no tech expert AT ALL, they were able to answer my questions and make appropriate recommendations. They are not cheap, but I believe their expertise and honest recommendations were well worth the money.

That said, I use MSI for my laptop and have been very pleased. I had never heard of MSI, but a tech guy at NewEgg recommended them over what I had planned on. It did more than I one I had planned on getting and it was actually less expensive. This was about 7 years ago. I've updated the video card, DRAM, and hard drives so it is currently maxed out so I will have to end up buying another laptop within the next year or so. I don't know if MSI makes a desktop or not, bu you might check to see if they do. I've been very pleased with it.

Puget Computer Systems has built 2 systems for me. I would definitely use them again.

I would discuss the situation with them and discuss your options. Using some parts from your current system and upgrading others could be a wise and economical alternative.

Several weeks ago I needed a new desktop and ended up buying an MSI gaming system.
400.png

Infinite RS 13NUI-432US​

I looked hard at Puget Computer Systems and a Puget system with the same capabilities / equivalent hardware was about $2000 more expensive. Fortunately all the pretty lights are easy to turn off. So far, I'm pretty happy with it. Time will tell.

I'll use the significant amount of money I saved over the Puget Computer System to fund another photography trip.

Back