Destination 2024!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Now that we’re a month into the new year I’m sure people have been thinking about where they may travel to and what they may photograph. Curious what everyone will be doing. This will be a busier year than normal for me. I’ll be at the Santa Clara Ranch for wildlife towards late April and Yellowstone for some landscape and wildlife in September. I’m possibly going to try to make it to Big Sur as well in September for some portrait stuff but may not make it. I might try for something in the summer but haven’t decided it yet.

Any interesting trips out there planned?

My wife and I have decided not to continue with air travel with its tremendous impact on global warming and habitat destruction for wildlife and people. It is a matter of conscience not to ignore our role and pretend that it does not matter in the overall scheme of things.
Perhaps there are destinations where other efficient mass transit options are available that you’ll venture to?

Now that we’re a month into the new year I’m sure people have been thinking about where they may travel to and what they may photograph. Curious what everyone will be doing. This will be a busier year than normal for me. I’ll be at the Santa Clara Ranch for wildlife towards late April and Yellowstone for some landscape and wildlife in September. I’m possibly going to try to make it to Big Sur as well in September for some portrait stuff but may not make it. I might try for something in the summer but haven’t decided it yet.

Any interesting trips out there planned?
I intend to drive my gas guzzling SUV to Chincoteague and Alligator River national wildlife refuges in the spring for bears, birds, and other critters, then fly to Yellowstone and GTNP in a jumbo jet in the fall for the usual suspects. In between, during the summer months, I like to spend my time at my cabin riding on my gasoline lawn mower. However, I do recycle. 🥴

We'll probably go to the southwest deserts in Spring, first to Anza Borrego in the later end of March. The wildflowers should be excellent due to the rains. Maybe Death valley as well.

Depending on how the winter progresses, we'll probably hit the east side of the Sierras around late Apr or in May. The backroads of the mtn ranges east of the Owen's valley could be interesting. Or the Spring mtns north of Las Vegas. If we can, I'd like to go to the Huachuca mtns again during the spring migration and breeding season.

In the summer, we'll probably go back to the Siskiyous west of Mt Shasta and around the Mono lake area. Bodie hills as well. In Aug, I'd love to go back to southern Arizona.

In the fall, we considering a Utah trip to Escalante grand staircase.

I'm starting to think, why come home in between? :)

The only wildlife specific trip will likely be Chilkat Eagle reserve in early November. We might also travel to Australia in late November/early December. If so I'll bring a long lens along for the ride.

My wife and I have decided not to continue with air travel with its tremendous impact on global warming and habitat destruction for wildlife and people. It is a matter of conscience not to ignore our role and pretend that it does not matter in the overall scheme of things.
+1
Besides I'm not interested in being treated like a potential terrorist and herded like cattle, I want to bring more equipment than carry-on allows, and I can't stop the airplane mid-flight when an interesting opportunity presents itself. Some of my best wildlife encounters have been at campsites along the way.

I'm planning to seek out the more elusive birds in the nearby Sierra Nevada, camping overnight as needed in my minivan. There's plenty to be discovered nearby at low environmental cost.

Last edited:
In just over three weeks I am off to Spain. I have hired a private guide for two days to look for Iberian lynx in Sierra de Andujar. It consists of morning drives to areas they have been seen recently and afternoon in a hide on private land where they pass by almost daily. I will also have an afternoon (on my own) at a hillside north of Madrid where Spanish ibex live. Rest of trip will focus on architectural photography in Toledo and Segovia.

In just over three weeks I am off to Spain. I have hired a private guide for two days to look for Iberian lynx in Sierra de Andujar. It consists of morning drives to areas they have been seen recently and afternoon in a hide on private land where they pass by almost daily. I will also have an afternoon (on my own) at a hillside north of Madrid where Spanish ibex live. Rest of trip will focus on architectural photography in Toledo and Segovia.

Have a great trip! I hope you will post a few photos when you get back....!

Headed off to East Africa in three weeks. One week in Rwanda photographing mountain gorillas and golden monkeys. Then off to Kenya to visit Nairobi National Park and Amboseli. And then finishing up in Tanzania with 2 days at Ngorongoro Crater, 4 in central Serengeti, and then 5 in Ndutu. Then I’m off to India in May for two weeks photographing tigers in Bandhavgarh and Kanha. Needless to see this is shaping up to be a big year for me photographically!

Two weeks in the Dolomites in Northern Italy early this summer. Primarily will be doing landscape, but I'll bring a 300 mm incase.
Machias Seal Island and Lubec, Maine in early August for Atlantic Puffins and milky way landscape photography if the weather cooperates.
10 days in Glacier National Park in early September
A week in Vermont whenever the leaves reach their peak.

After that it's snowboard season and I focus on one of my other expensive hobbies

A week in Costa Rica at an all-inclusive resort in late April. One day will be devoted to visiting Palo Verde National Park as well as adjacent wetlands with a local guide.
Summer will be spent chasing osprey, bald eagle, peregrine falcons, songbirds and wading birds around the west end of Lake Ontario as well as at the cottage in Cottage Country.

Sax Zim Bog for a week in January (already happened) - great gray owls
South Carolina for two weeks in February (already happened) - shore birds
Kentucky for a weekend in February (already happened) - eastern screech owls
Iceland for a week in September - arctic fox, whales, aurora
Tetons/Yellowstone for a week in October - bears, elk, mule deer, moose

sounds like we may do KY/SC/UT/FL a few times during the year for a week or two as well, but those require less planning as I just stay with relatives.

Several local day trips plus Dinosaur National Monument and Rocky Mountain National Park, plus maybe one or two other Colorado sites when we visit our daughter. There could be a fall trip to New Mexico, but that is too far out to project right now.

This Sunday a business trip to Türkiye, as it is called since last year, but will also take a day off for bird photography to this place:
https://www.birdingplaces.eu/en/birdingplaces/turkey/inozu-valley

On April 22nd a week to Kruger park (Sabi Sands & Timbavati)

On May 4th to Saudi Arabia for work but there is a manmade oasis in the piece of desert I go to and during the week I am there will I do birding in the early morning

Last 2 weeks of July back to Kruger and in November another week in Kruger.

Somewhere in between those trips will I have to go for work to Tanzania where I will take 2-3 days off and also go to Norway but not sure if I will take my gear with me. I have not planned further than May for my business trips that I try to combine with leisure.

Six days in central Florida beginning tomorrow. Working my way from Clearwater (Circle B Bar) to Orlando (Orlando Wetlands & Gatorland) and then to Merritt Island. Mid-April in south Florida (Wakodahatchee and Green Cay, perhaps the Keys). Outer Banks in NC in June. New River Gorge in late Sept/early Oct. Various trips for a day or two, here and there.

Back