Did something I swore I was never going to do

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Right - exactly but as I recall the price difference wasn't much compared to upgrading every couple of years. Now you get upgrades immediately.
Exactly. At current pricing levels, the subscription is not any more expensive than buying new versions every year, and thus far Adobe has done a good job with adding worthwhile features in a timely manner. Really has worked well.

FWIW - PC users don't need Microsoft Office either. Libre software is free and just as good as Office. I've been using Libre for years.
Well, it's good until someone sends you a Word or Excel document that blows up in Libre Office. Or you spend an afternoon keeping it from blowing up.

I don't disagree with you; there are office packages that handle the needs of most people. But there are always potential compatibility issues with Office documents, especially more complex ones. We still have Office on one of our home machines, though we no longer need the suite for work.

I have both Adobe and Capture One subscriptions - Capture One for it's tethering capabilities and Bridge, Camera Raw and Photoshop for everything else. The frequent changes in how things work with each update are not always easy for this octogenarian but the improvements, particularly for masking in both products have been worth the effort. My file storage and cataloging is separate (homegrown) from both packages to avoid possible update glitches. While I was bothered by the subscription model at first I've come to accept it.

I haven't used Photoshop in my job for more than 20 years, but I still use it every day in my photography hobby and when you consider what it used to cost (early versions were over $800 and upgrades more than $200, and that was 34 years ago) I think the photographer's package, which includes a lot more than just Photoshop and Lightroom, is a bargain. The $10 a month cost is less than peanuts to me, and I have the latest and greatest that Photoshop and Camera Raw have to offer all the time. Also, if you remember, when the subscription model started many years ago now, Adobe said the price was temporary and would be going up the next year. After the outcry that resulted, they backed off and the price is still the same today as when it began. I don't expect that to last forever...

I am now thinking of going the other way - trash Adobe. My custom built PC is now 10 years old and the last two iterations of 2024 just hogged my resources so I couldn't do anything. This has been happening on every new release since about 2020. I am thinking they are expecting US to do their beta testing. I have gone back to the last update of 2022 which was one of the most stable editions, at least for me, for the time being. I know I am loosing out on the new stuff but my graphics card seems to be the bottle neck and I can't seem to find an upgrade that is compatible with the motherboard. I am thinking about a new machine but they are sooooo damn expensive now.

I am now thinking of going the other way - trash Adobe. My custom built PC is now 10 years old and the last two iterations of 2024 just hogged my resources so I couldn't do anything. This has been happening on every new release since about 2020. I am thinking they are expecting US to do their beta testing. I have gone back to the last update of 2022 which was one of the most stable editions, at least for me, for the time being. I know I am loosing out on the new stuff but my graphics card seems to be the bottle neck and I can't seem to find an upgrade that is compatible with the motherboard. I am thinking about a new machine but they are sooooo damn expensive now.
A new reasonably fast computer is lots cheaper than a decent camera. 2014 is a long time ago in the computer world.

But, it's easy to spend other people's money ...

When Adobe made Photoshop subscription only, I swore I'd never succumb to the subscription model of software. I had CS4 and that would work fine for me. I also bought the Topaz suite, which was a one-time purchase and I was set. I'd use Sony's free software to convert my RAW files into TIFs, use CS4 to process the TIFs, use Topaz to denoise and sharpen, then take them back to CS4 and turn the TIF's into jpegs for the internet. For a two-week trip in Yellowstone, it would take me nearly two weeks to process the files and I'd usually only process a couple hundred out of four or five thousand.
Then I went on a group trip to Sax-Zim in January and the guy I was rooming with had Lightroom and Photoshop and showed me what that stuff can do nowadays and...

Shoot. I did it. I subscribed for a year at least.

Now I'm going back through images from the last 4 or 5 years to see what I could have done if I'd had it the whole time.
I, too, VERY reluctantly felt the need to start using Adobe Lightroom Classic (LrC) since Apple dragged its feet for 9 months in supporting the Z8 RAW format! I had been using the FREE Apple "Photos" app for years for both light editing and, more importantly, cataloging all of my bird & wildlife photos. For more advanced editing I use Affinity Photo, which is similar to Adobe Photoshop, and you can buy it outright for $70 USD.

But when I could no longer rely on Apple, I turned to third-party alternatives like FastRawViewer (to at least view my Z8's photos). I soon turned to NX Studio (by Nikon) so I could edit my photos. However, I found NX Studio's interface less than intuitive. I was also very frustrated and concerned about all the changes to my workflow, and that I couldn't catalog my photos; and with each passing week, the number of Z8 photos that I was bringing home was increasing, even after culling.

By December of 2023, I was fed up! I finally gave in and got the "Photographer's Plan" from Adobe so that I could use LrC. This has changed my workflow yet again. I must admit though, that the "Develop" features in LrC are so much more powerful than what I could do in Apple's "Photos" app, that I am now using LrC rather than "Photos." The "presets" functionality I am also starting to find fascinating. I have even purchased Glenn Bartlley & Jan Wegener's "Proset" packs and I'm starting to experiment with those. The $10/month sting from the Adobe subscription is now starting to lessen for me. And loathe as I am to admit it, I think I'll be using LrC from now on.

BTW, you can still buy a one-machine license for Microsoft Office that doesn't require a subscription. Downside is, it's only good for that computer and if you change machines, you have to buy it again.
For another $20 bucks...how many times you change computers that you have worry about this "additional" charge?

We spend 5, 10, 20 grand on photo equipment but balk at 20 or 100 bucks for software.

Scratching my head, you do you I guess...

For another $20 bucks...how many times you change computers that you have worry about this "additional" charge?

We spend 5, 10, 20 grand on photo equipment but balk at 20 or 100 bucks for software.

Scratching my head, you do you I guess...

Well, none of what you said actually applies to anything I said. I was telling someone else about an option in Microsoft Office, nothing to do with the photo software. Also, no one was balking at paying for software, just some people don't like the subscription model.

It wasn't the price I objected to, it was the concept of subscription-based software. I still don't like it.

I remember the bad old days. I only got every second or third upgrade for Photoshop, since I could not afford to buy every one that came out. Now, I get constant upgrades for next to nothing and some of the small upgrades were real game changers for me. The new masking abilities that came out a short while ago enabled me to go back through some of my photos and make keepers out of throw away shots. Now the masking includes people in the masking possibilities and those people can be further masked for skin, eyes. hair etc. etc. to make a portrait photographer's workflow much simpler than it has ever been before.

While I was not too excited about it when it came out, I now confess I love the constant improvements that the subscription models make possible.

@RikWriter, I want to thank you for reminding me about how I felt and how much my opinion has changed over the years.

If you shoot film you don't need a computer or software 😉

I first started using Photoshop in 1986. I, too, was horrified when Adobe went to a subscription format. I became less and less horrified over time when I realized I didn't have to pay several hundred dollars every couple of years for a handful of CDs with updates that were out of date the minute I installed them, and when CC became so seamless that I receive automatic updates every few days that I don't have to mess with. I still maintain the entire Adobe subscription, which includes virtually every Adobe product, costing me about $60 per month. My wife, as a CPA, has to spend well over $3000 every year for her software, and it is no fun at all (to me, anyway). Since post-production is such a major part of all still and video work these days, I consider this a real bargain for all the pleasure it gives me. Heck, it costs me over $100 just to fill up my pickup truck. And my truck doesn't process photos worth beans.

I still refuse, however, to pay Microsoft for a subscription. Apple's free apps do everything Excel, Word, Powerpoint, etc. can do, also allowing me to export to MS Office formats for my PC-loving clients. For better or worse, the subscription structure is here to stay. Some are good value. Many are not.
I agree. PS/LR will be the only subscription I ever buy, and if Gimp ever gets competitive, that will also stop. Long way to go for them, but I would love to just use a Linux PC with a killer photo app and just get all the hands out of my pockets. I must be getting old.

If you shoot film you don't need a computer or software 😉

You kinda do though for some things. Sure, it is not needed for slides and with a home lab and enlarger I could produce prints at home. I hung on to my film camera until it was clear that digital had matched and exceeded it. But even then during the transition I still had my film scanned for use in photoshop.

I agree. PS/LR will be the only subscription I ever buy, and if Gimp ever gets competitive, that will also stop. Long way to go for them, but I would love to just use a Linux PC with a killer photo app and just get all the hands out of my pockets. I must be getting old.
It's a matter of the value provided. I pay my internet provider bill every single month because it is well worth the cost. Same for the electric bill. Free/cheap is great ... but you gotta pay for higher quality. Otherwise, nobody will build the higher quality product. I love my Nikon 500 pf lens. But it cost me. The profit motive has its advantages.

The PS/LR subscription annoyed me a bit at first, but the value to an even modestly serious photographer for $10 a month is high. I'll spend about that much on *one* lunch today.

Adding: I just did the math, and at current Adobe prices, the cost of the 500 pf was equivalent to about 33 years of the Adobe subscription. One can point out the 500 pf is an expensive lens (though a lot cheaper now used). And Adobe prices will go up -- you can bet the marketing team at Adobe thinks about this a lot -- but wow, the current subscription is probably the best value now I see in photography gear/infrastructure, whatever.

Last edited:
How many of you rent or lease your camera gear; I'm not talking about a short-term rental, I'm asking about long term? Anybody? Then why would you be so willing to subscribe (rent) software? Subscribing to software is just like leasing a car -- much more expensive in the long run. I've been willing to make one-time purchases of Affinity and Topaz software, but subscribe? Not me!

FWIW - PC users don't need Microsoft Office either. Libre software is free and just as good as Office. I've been using Libre for years.

I too have used Libre for years with no problems. It's free and there are regular updates. We have it on two computers and I also used it on my office computer before I retired.

How many of you rent or lease your camera gear; I'm not talking about a short-term rental, I'm asking about long term? Anybody? Then why would you be so willing to subscribe (rent) software? Subscribing to software is just like leasing a car -- much more expensive in the long run. I've been willing to make one-time purchases of Affinity and Topaz software, but subscribe? Not me!

The problem is, none of the others is as good or efficient. It takes twice or even three times as long to process images without LR and PS.

I too have used Libre for years with no problems. It's free and there are regular updates. We have it on two computers and I also used it on my office computer before I retired.
I don't think that a valid analogy. It doesn't matter if I'm "buying" or "leasing" if the feature set works for me at the pricepoint I have to pay, I'll happily pay. I'll correct my previous post: lunch today was about 1.5 times the monthly subscription price.

LR's organizational features are excellent and I wouldn't be without them. And the editing capabilities are pretty good (plus you can go into PS if desired).

And as others have pointed out, when you consider the cost of buying a new version of Lightroom every couple of years, the subscription price now costs you about the same. Adobe's subscription model has worked for me better than I anticipated. If you don't find LR or PS useful, sure don't pay for them.

The only times I've tried Libre, it wouldn't always handle Word or Excel docs sent to me. For just myself doing docs, sure it would be good enough.

Back