Difference between flashes?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Looking at the option of buying a flash right now, but there are so many to choose from. I'm confused at the differences between flashes that cost $50 and $250. Most of the ones I'm looking at are Godox or Neewer. Is this one good? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...gsLL1NR0b6Us9PHeRq4zTvfwzMFpUyal8pCYWQOGBG6Rk
That flash will work fine with modern Nikon cameras, supports Nikon's iTTL through the lens flash metering and can serve as a wireless control or remote unit if you end up picking up more flashes and getting into coordinated multi-flash setups.

Flashes do span a wide price range which varies with things like camera brand name vs third party, flash guide number (max power), features like through the lens flash metering and ability to use the flash as part of a wireless synched multi-flash setup, convenience of LCD displays and programming buttons and the like. The flash you linked is solid and will work fine with Nikon cameras.

Looking at the option of buying a flash right now, but there are so many to choose from. I'm confused at the differences between flashes that cost $50 and $250. Most of the ones I'm looking at are Godox or Neewer. Is this one good? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...gsLL1NR0b6Us9PHeRq4zTvfwzMFpUyal8pCYWQOGBG6Rk
Thirty years ago when I was still young, I only bought OEM brand flashes, I *thought* only the most expensive ones would work.

Fast forward to today, and this is no longer the case.

Godox is a well-established flash brand with a comprehensive range of products: from on-camera flash to mono strobes, the quality has gone leaps and bounds above the similarly speced lights; what's even more impressive is, that their remote triggers work across the product line.

I bought the Godox TT685N 5 years ago, it's still rocking day in and day out; if you take portraits, the V1 might be better.

Oliver

After many years of using Nikon flashes I was looking at the SB910 but instead got a Godox V860ii. It does everything that my SB 900 (and therefore the SB910) does but the SB 910 was then about 350 GBP and I got the Godox for 140GBP.

However, although I use Godox flashguns and triggers I now buy re-branded Godox units. In the UK there are a few brands that are re-badged Godox units and I favour the Pixapro units from essential Photo https://www.essentialphoto.co.uk/. Why? Because Pixapro units carry a two year warranty v one year from Godox and they are based in the UK and will pick up the phone and answer emails promptly.

In the USA I think that Adorama Flashpoint are re-badged Godox units but I don't know what the warranty or after sales service is like https://www.adorama.com/l/Photograp...d-On-hyphen-Camera-Lighting/On-Camera-Flashes

Note that the Pixapro units do not directly match the Godox model numbers so that might also apply to Flashpoint flashes.

The flash that you linked to is the same as my V860ii but it uses 4x AAs. My V860ii has a lithium power pack and was around 40GBP dearer than the TT685. I prefer the lithium powered ones (in Europe I think they have discontinued the AA powered ones) as I used to use 4 flashguns a lot and I was so fed up trying to maintain equal usage/charging with over 60 rechargeable AAs. Also the AA powered ones take 6 seconds to recycle on full power where my lithium powered ones take under 2 seconds. OK - I know you don't use full power a lot, but nevertheless...... I also only charge my flash power packs once a year (you get over 600 full power flashes from lithium v 2-300 from AAs) not because they run flat, but for maintenance.

Thirty years ago when I was still young, I only bought OEM brand flashes, I *thought* only the most expensive ones would work.

Fast forward to today, and this is no longer the case.

Godox is a well-established flash brand with a comprehensive range of products: from on-camera flash to mono strobes, the quality has gone leaps and bounds above the similarly speced lights; what's even more impressive is, that their remote triggers work across the product line.

I bought the Godox TT685N 5 years ago, it's still rocking day in and day out; if you take portraits, the V1 might be better.

Oliver
That's the other one I'm looking at, either the Godox 685 or Neewer 750

You pay a premium for camera-branded flashes, as people have concerns about frying their camera's electronics, compatability for special functions, etc.
The reality is that Nikon, at least, does not seem to be interested any longer in developing new flash technology.

In light of this, the third party flashes are pretty much the way to go now, and Godox/Flashpoint seems to be the brand most used. I think Godox has been more robust about developing new flashes than Neewer, which was more popular like, 10-20 years ago.
Some people prefer the Godox flashes that use lithium batteries, like the Ving860 model. I still use the flashes that utilize AA batteries, as I have a pretty good system for recharging and storing them, and the AA battery models are a lot cheaper.

Another big determinant of flash price is build quality. Godox flashes tend to be on the flimsy side, as compared with Nikon flashes. But their low price makes it less a big deal if a flash gets dropped and it breaks.

Check the reviews by owners that are posted on BH Photo video. Some are more reliable and less fragile than others. Be aware that it is easier to find light modifiers with a good fit for mainstream flash devices.

Some can work as a slave flash and will trigger when they sense light from a master flash. These are much easier to work with in most situations. Tour guides that do a 4 or 5 multiflash setup for their clients rely on this approach that works with all makes of cameras.

Check the reviews by owners that are posted on BH Photo video. Some are more reliable and less fragile than others. Be aware that it is easier to find light modifiers with a good fit for mainstream flash devices.

Some can work as a slave flash and will trigger when they sense light from a master flash. These are much easier to work with in most situations. Tour guides that do a 4 or 5 multiflash setup for their clients rely on this approach that works with all makes of cameras.
The 685 seemed more fragile but mostly on the Sony version so I bought it anyway.

Flash for which purpose?
I hate the Godox V860II speed lights which is harsh and the frensel lens on top is producing lines at the edges. Even when used with a Gerry Fung on top, it’s harsh.

I now bought the Godox V1 with the dome, its the only Godox on camera flash that makes sense. And this is for events fill flash to work in conjunction with the AD300 Pro’s with big umbrellas.

In studio its all big EZ Glow sofboxes from Adorama, double lining inside, and grids outside.

IMG_7728.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Flash for which purpose?
I hate the Godox V860II speed lights which is harsh and the frensel lens on top is producing lines at the edges. Even when used with a Gerry Fung on top, it’s harsh.

I now bought the Godox V1 with the dome, its the only Godox on camera flash that makes sense. And this is for events fill flash to work in conjunction with the AD300 Pro’s with big umbrellas.

In studio its all big EZ Glow sofboxes from Adorama, double lining inside, and grids outside.

View attachment 75311
A flash for low light situations with wildlife and for creative purposes such as rear curtain flash for blur.

I used to have Godox and it was fine but moved to Profoto last year and wow am I glad I did! The build quality, interface, recycle time and battery life is just amazing. I shot a wedding recently and one battery did an entire wedding with plenty to spare and I shot 1,300 images. They aren’t cheap but simply top notch.

Many Nikon ambassadors have moved away from Nikon flash to Profoto.

I used to have Godox and it was fine but moved to Profoto last year and wow am I glad I did! The build quality, interface, recycle time and battery life is just amazing. I shot a wedding recently and one battery did an entire wedding with plenty to spare and I shot 1,300 images. They aren’t cheap but simply top notch.

Many Nikon ambassadors have moved away from Nikon flash to Profoto.
If money isn’t the object, Replacing all my Godox in studio with Profoto, What are the benefits?
The Godox Trigger is amazing, the Ad300pro’s and 600Pro are doing their job. Where does it fall short where the Profoto is not?

If money isn’t the object, Replacing all my Godox in studio with Profoto, What are the benefits?
The Godox Trigger is amazing, the Ad300pro’s and 600Pro are doing their job. Where does it fall short where the Profoto is not?
Rental houses are going to be Profoto or Wescott. Profoto light is more consistent. There are lots of reasons depending on what you need but for me I use it for macro work.

Portrait Studio for newborns, toddlers, kids, etc.
The Godox ad300’s can drive 3 frames per second on the power levels we need it.
A session is about 2 hours. (Newborns longer, because they take brakes) Kids would not cooperate for longer.
We never had an issue with a battery depleting during a session, and we have a double set of batteries for sessions back to back.

The reason I’m asking, is because I want to learn. We want our studio to produce the best possible results. We invested in the best tools for the job, and allot of time practicing and perfecting new poses with their associated techniques, flash placement and power settings.
In which area would a Profoto upgrade the studio?

Portrait Studio for newborns, toddlers, kids, etc.
The Godox ad300’s can drive 3 frames per second on the power levels we need it.
A session is about 2 hours. (Newborns longer, because they take brakes) Kids would not cooperate for longer.
We never had an issue with a battery depleting during a session, and we have a double set of batteries for sessions back to back.

The reason I’m asking, is because I want to learn. We want our studio to produce the best possible results. We invested in the best tools for the job, and allot of time practicing and perfecting new poses with their associated techniques, flash placement and power settings.
In which area would a Profoto upgrade the studio?
I’m not a portrait studio photographer so unfortunately I’m not the one to answer your questions. If what you have is working why change? I do know for on camera flash Profoto has been winning the hearts and minds of many such as Moose Peterson, Joe McNalley, Seth Miranda to name a few. Seth is a studio shooter in NYC and I’m sure you have heard of the other two.

I’m not a portrait studio photographer so unfortunately I’m not the one to answer your questions. If what you have is working why change? I do know for on camera flash Profoto has been winning the hearts and minds of many such as Moose Peterson, Joe McNalley, Seth Miranda to name a few. Seth is a studio shooter in NYC and I’m sure you have heard of the other two.
Good morning David.
It’s possible that those caliber photographers feel thay must have the most expensive brand to match their professional profile. Which is perfectly ok! But for getting-the-job-done, The Godox can do the same.

I would contact Seth and ask him.
Is he on this forum?

Good morning David.
It’s possible that those caliber photographers feel thay must have the most expensive brand to match their professional profile. Which is perfectly ok! But for getting-the-job-done, The Godox can do the same.

Is he on this forum?
No but he has a YouTube channel and talks a lot about it. He is well respected in his field.

I wouldn’t say it’s money. They both shot Nikon strobes for decades. I’d say it’s about quality of light, interface and quality of the units. Go into a store and look at one and you’ll see the difference. I don’t know how to explain it but again if you’re using godox and it’s working for you doing portraits and your clients are happy I wouldn’t change.

Good morning David.

Is he on this forum?
Here you go:

These are the strobes I’m using.

I do know for on camera flash Profoto has been winning the hearts and minds of many such as Moose Peterson, Joe McNalley, Seth Miranda to name a few. Seth is a studio shooter in NYC and I’m sure you have heard of the other two.

Forgive me for being Mr Cynical here, but maybe Profoto have bigger pockets that attract photographers?

If you are making a lot of money tax deductions for equipment are important and Profoto deductions add up fast. An on camera flash like the A10 is only $1100, four times the cost of Godox. Get into Studio Flash and a single 2400 WS pack is $17,500, flash heads an additional $3K each and then you need reflectors. JAMOM LOL

Back