Different ways to carry your telephoto in the field

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi,
I'm quite sure all of us I've spent countless hours to find the the most appropriate setup and I would like to share and collect your experiences:
let say we talk of big telephoto 400/2.8 500/4 and so on with a camera attached to it obviously.
my field's usage is mountain, walk of 10-15km per day with hide, no or very few photo walking
  1. in the field, for portage convenience nothing in my eyes beat a backpack, inconvenient : you're slower and noisy to get the stuff out and ready
  2. at the opposite having your tele mounted on your tripod or monopod on your shoulder, is the quickest way to be ready, inconvenient : do you really really trust the screw on your arca swiss or whatever you have ? also for a long run it's a bit hard for your shoulder and you can't use any poles
  3. attach your tele to your backpack D-ring on the chest with a lens carrier system, reasonably quick to setup but I find it a bit clumsy in the long run when walking
  4. attach your tele to a shoulder strap, easy to setup also but again a bit hard for your shoulder
and you ? what else do you use ?
cheers

i can tell you this , i don’t trust that plate that is held on the camera by the four tiny screws , not the arca plate screw .

i noticed my 4 week old 600mm pf f6.3 was a bit shakey on the mono pic and sure enough that plate was loose .

i had to buy a special screwdriver from b&h that is a size 0 jis , dont use a philips it’s the wrong point and will damage the screws . the jis size 0 is a cross slot and fits perfectly

then i put a drop of blue loctite on each one . hopefully that solves it

purple loctite is what’s recommended for small screws but i couldn’t get it locally

I am at the age where nothing more than 200 yards from the car is photographically "interesting", so the simple stuff works well...a Cotton Carrier "Skout" or a Peak Design Slide ...for everything. In my case, a Tamron 70-210 f/4 , Nikon 70-300 AF S 4.5-5.6 and nikon 105mm 2.8 Macro are the heavies. :cool: Of course, at Airshows or Auto racing, a pain killer of choice makes the drive home much nicer.

Hi,
I'm quite sure all of us I've spent countless hours to find the the most appropriate setup and I would like to share and collect your experiences:
let say we talk of big telephoto 400/2.8 500/4 and so on with a camera attached to it obviously.
my field's usage is mountain, walk of 10-15km per day with hide, no or very few photo walking
  1. in the field, for portage convenience nothing in my eyes beat a backpack, inconvenient : you're slower and noisy to get the stuff out and ready
For more than 1 telephoto, I usually use a pack. A Vanguard 45D is the smallest, or their larger 51D or a fStop Tilopa for most geat and other items.
I also have a LowePro Lens Trekker, which I've found to be the best - Specialized - protective solution to hike with a heavy telephoto with attached ILC. I also use this Trekker to protect my 800 E rigged up ready in a vehicle: when detaching its hipbelt is useful.
  1. at the opposite having your tele mounted on your tripod or monopod on your shoulder, is the quickest way to be ready, inconvenient : do you really really trust the screw on your arca swiss or whatever you have ? also for a long run it's a bit hard for your shoulder and you can't use any poles
Gimbal on monopod when there's long periods of tracking subjects, or otherwise a tripod if hiking to a hide, especially if planning to use 2 or more camera rigs.
I always have a safety lanyard linking the lens via its straps directly to the (tri) monopod via the gimbal. I also have a JIS screwdriver and Leatherman multitool in my photo vest and more tools in a pouch if there's a backpack on a trip.
The Arcaswiss 3rd party lens feet available are too short IME, so I only use at least 180mm long Sirui PH180 plates, because these are functional carry handles on a big lens. Every lens plate is 'locktited' on to original lens foot with a pair of 3/8" and 1/4" screws.
Sometimes I've found the mount screws work loose on DSLRs after heavy daily use on trips, but not yet on a Z camera.
  1. attach your tele to your backpack D-ring on the chest with a lens carrier system, reasonably quick to setup but I find it a bit clumsy in the long run when walking
Never tried one of these
  1. attach your tele to a shoulder strap, easy to setup also but again a bit hard for your shoulder
My most often used carry method walking, uses Peakdesign clips modified to fit on a padded Thinktank sling, as the PD nylon sling material is too slippery. This works well carrying a gripped ILC and 800 PF rig or heavier 180-400 TC14, or +5kg of 400 f2.8E with pro ilc. The rig can be deployed swiftly
cheers

Last edited:
Still looking…

Blown shoulders make a poor support system for mono and tripod with camera attached even with padding. I have a MrJan and found that with my monopod and wimberley head, I could collapse my rig and carry it in the MrJan. Wouldn’t want to scramble with it as the foot of the monopod stuck out a few extra inches, but the carry on trails was comfortable and access was good. I did find that I overheated while hiking with the mass of material pressing against my chest leaving the front of my shirt soaked, which may be something for you to consider depending on how much and strenuous the hiking is you do. I’m also struggling with the clip system into my old and favorite Osprey pack’s harness as the MrJan clips can come off when the camera is out and tension is off the rig, at least the way I have it set up (user error on my part?) Anyway, curious to hear more on this subject from others.

When hiking A backpack is the way to go for me, stuff is protected, hands are free. Having your hands free can be important in difficult terrain. When I want a camera ready for action, usually a Z8 with 100-400 or Z9 with 600mm TC I use a black rapid sling with a QD system. I’ve put lens feet from Hejnar with a QD socket on the lenses. For me that’s a comfortable way to walk longer distances Without busting my shoulder.

Hi,
  2. at the opposite having your tele mounted on your tripod or monopod on your shoulder, is the quickest way to be ready, inconvenient : do you really really trust the screw on your arca swiss or whatever you have ? also for a long run it's a bit hard for your shoulder and you can't use any poles
  3. attach your tele to your backpack D-ring on the chest with a lens carrier system, reasonably quick to setup but I find it a bit clumsy in the long run when walking
  4. attach your tele to a shoulder strap, easy to setup also but again a bit hard for your shoulder
cheers

#1 - Backpack is good for transporting to location, but I try to avoid it if there is potential to see actual subjects. too slow and noisy.
#2 - I hate carrying the lens attached to a monopod or tripod. my Z9 + 400TC separated from a monopod over my shoulder, and dropped onto concrete. luckily "only" a $700 fix
#3 - Never tried this, but I have used the cotton carrier chest system. works okay, but I dislike it for large lenses
#4 - Shoulder strap is always my chosen method

For me a custom backpack. It has two straps with qd connectors and I can carry two cameras/lenses that way and have them ready to shoot. I can also carry the 800mm on one side and an extended tripod on the other. Allows me to set up and deploy the tripod and 800 without having to remove the backpack.

Or use a Holdfast dual strap with one lens/camera on each side. I can anchor them to the belt to minimize swinging. I was out today with the 800mm PF and Z9 on one side and the z9 and Plena on the other. Did it all hand held although if I was going to be longer in one place I would have preferred to use a tripod. Shots taken with the 80mm handheld were usually shot at 1/3200 and were sharp.

I use a ThinkTank Digital Holster 50 with my Z9 and Z 100-400 when we were traveling in Africa. It protected from dust and banging in the vehicles. It was easy to pull out, so I didn't miss a shot. They have a nice padded strap. My normal carry is a BR strap with magpul qd on my Z9 and Z 600 f6.3 when I'm less concerned about protection. I have Kirk feet/plates on all my long lenses.

I have some Think Tank digital holsters and they are great for carrying individual cameras and lenses they fit. They provide excellent protection in vehicles.

At the same time working with multiple lenses I much prefer using the backpack and Holdfast carrying straps. That being said I might bring the Think Tank with me and use it for securing a particular lens I have out while driving in a vehicle.

I pretty much always carry my 800mm pf in its OEM fabric case. That case provides great protection and it fits with the camera attached.
Right now I keep all my most used lenses assembled and stored in my backpack along with the commonly used accessories in their assigned pockets. that way everything is ready to go on short notice.

Just yesterday morning my photo buddy contacted me to go shooting that day. Alll I had to do was put the straps and lenses I had out back in the bag, grab my tripod and 800 case and I was ready to go.

We actually found a great spot and had a good day.

In my backpack days I learned the lesson of keeping things in their proper spot in the pack so things could easily be found in the dark. That habit has worked well for photography.

I use a Peak Design carry clip on the shoulder strap of my backpack to carry the Z8 and 600mm PF captive. I’ll put the Z9 and the 100-400 on a strap, and both work very well. The capture clip is easy to use and get access to shoot and has a lock to keep the camera secure until needed. The strap is also quick to gain access too. Just have to remember to put the backpack on first and then the camera strap. Otherwise the strap is less accessible with limited movement, and a PITA to take it all off to get it right😁

I usually carry my Z8 + Z 800 attached to a Wimberley Monogimbal with the lens tethered to the top of the monopod which I find both secure and generally OK unless I need to shoot quickly. The tether was introduced after hearing the sound of my Sigma 500mm f4 hitting the gravel !

That said, does anyone have any experience of using the Speedigimbal which looks like the answer to deploying the camera on a stable platform quickly - this is a UK product of course and might not yet have travelled across the pond.

The videos of using it in action on the website are typically British 😂

1727126274723.png

Many many thanks to all for your constructive answers ! much appreciated (y)

I'm going to test several stuff here (MrJan carrier system (just received it), Sharp Shooter, Magpul and various sling)
I used to have a sling attach to the "Jama Bavette" but I found the 500 was always moving into it, not confortable with this at the end, at the opposite it was ok attached to D-Ring directly onto backpack, but a pity to setup...
not clear on 2 items :
@Bud.Betz, @fcotterill for Peak Design, I guess you attach directly to the 600 ? don't you have any cover on it , it looks difficult to me to attach while there is a cover.
@wotan1 : would be curious to see some photo of these two straps and QD connector to your backpack, I don't visualize this.
I don't see how works the speedigimbal stuff, will need to dive into this thanks !
Thinktank is for travel, right ? or if use from a car ? or are you using it also walking ?

Many thanks :)

I'm going to test several stuff here (MrJan carrier system (just received it), Sharp Shooter, Magpul and various sling)
I used to have a sling attach to the "Jama Bavette" but I found the 500 was always moving into it, not confortable with this at the end, at the opposite it was ok attached to D-Ring directly onto backpack, but a pity to setup...
not clear on 2 items :
@Bud.Betz, @fcotterill for Peak Design, I guess you attach directly to the 600 ? don't you have any cover on it , it looks difficult to me to attach while there is a cover.
@wotan1 : would be curious to see some photo of these two straps and QD connector to your backpack, I don't visualize this.
I don't see how works the speedigimbal stuff, will need to dive into this thanks !
Thinktank is for travel, right ? or if use from a car ? or are you using it also walking ?

There is a thread from January on Speedigimbal but I'm not sure how to link to it, my apologies. I was keen to try it but having read the comments I will give it a miss - just search for 'Speedigimble' to find the post i.e. NOT 'Speedigimbal' As usual the shared experience of forum members proves to be invaluable.

{Snipped...}
not clear on 2 items :
{snip...}

Pictures speak more than words. An unsightly make-a-plan solution, which works well. The rig balances on the shoulder even with a Z9 or D6. Nikon's lighter telephotos typically do not have lens rings on the barrel. This attaches to the lens foot, and allows for handling & carrying the rig with the long arcaswiss plate.

I will never trust the detachable tripod foot (even if it's Kirk etc), hence the safety loop of extra-strong saltwater spec flying fishing trace (nylon coated). It encircles the lens barrel

PD clips on 500 PF lens plate 2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
PD clips on 500 PF lens plate 1.jpg
PD clips on 500 PF lens plate 3 rd.jpg

Last edited:
On the 800 PF and similar telephotos with lens rings, the PD clips are looped around a thin binocular strap thread, which is permanently attached to the lens. The PD has been pruned of its strap, leaving sufficient to attach to the padded sling (ex ThinkTank)

PD clips on 800 PF lens ring strap.jpg

not clear on 2 items :

Here's a couple of screenshots from the Peak Design website.

There are two parts: The Clamp and the Plate. The clamp will go on your shoulder strap or belt or wherever you decide to carry your camera and lens. The Plate will attach to the bottom of your camera or lens, whichever you choose. I choose the camera.Screenshot 2024-09-29 at 07.45.22.png

Looking at the clamp, two screw knobs and a push button. Mine has a lock that isn't visible on this photo. You'll loosen the screws and one side will separate to put on your strap. Find the spot to carry and tighten it down. There's a lip on the bottom of the clamp that catches the plate and keeps it from sliding all the way through the clamp. The plate, on the your camera or lens, slides in and locks to the clamp and is quite secure. Push the button on the left to release the lock and remove the camera to shoot.

Last edited:
Screenshot 2024-09-29 at 07.48.26.png

It works well for me. I carry on the left shoulder strap when I have two bodies: typically a Z9 on a camera strap with a 24-120 F4, and a Z8 on the PD Clamp with either a 600 PF prime or the 100-400 f4 zoom. Works well for me. I apologize for not having images of my actual setup. I'm traveling currently, and it's all packed up. These are all screenshots from the PD website.

Back