JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screwdrivers for cameras and lenses

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Ivan Rothman

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I recently found that a few of my photography friends had never heard of JIS screwdrivers.
I thought I'd share what I know with the group here.
Many people use mini screwdriver sets manufactured in the US to tighten or unscrew the small screws in our Japanese cameras and lenses. These mini screwdrivers look like they fit, but they really don't. They are a different size and shape than the regular Phillips head screwdrivers. While they will work, you run the risk of damaging or stripping the screws.
I have a set of mini JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screwdrivers that I bought on Amazon. I carry these with me on trips in case I need them to work on the camera/lens screws.

I didn't know. Found this article after you enlightened us. Not that I intend to mess with my camera.

I didn't know. Found this article after you enlightened us. Not that I intend to mess with my camera.

Thanks for posting the article. I have read similar.
We spend so much effort and money trying to get the best out of our photographic equipment. And screws are important - they hold our equipment together. And it is such an easy thing to get an inexpensive set of mini JIS screwdrivers on Amazon.

I'm sure Ivan uses them primarily to check for loose screws. Or maybe he tears into his Z9 occasionally. :LOL:

I learned about the JIS standard only circa 2015. Since then I've always kept at least 1 of the drivers in accessories part of the camera bag. Lens bayonet mounts and tripod feet etc can loosen 'out there '
Here's an informative blog

Back