Digital Cameras have come a very long way! A humourous look back.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

soundbyte

A well known member 🇦🇺 📷
Supporting Member
Marketplace
Sifting through an old shoe box I came across a digital camera marked as a Velo 3600 6 MAX MEGA PIXELS, MUSE DIGITALTM must from around 2003, at least that is the default date year in the setup menu.

First, try to find an SD card with storage that was possibly small enough, I struggled to find a 2GB SD card!
Second, grab 2 AA batteries for power and we were up and running, well sort of, SLOW actually.

You had to be patient.
Startup of about 5 seconds until the tinkly bells sounded and you were ready to take a shot.
On average it took 15 seconds for each shot to be written to the card!

The first 3 images of the Velo 3600 are from a Canon Ixus 80IS, the last 2 are from the Velo 3600 itself!
Canon shots were cropped and resized, Velo 3600 images were only resized for display here.

Front view.
Velo3600_F_BCG.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Rear screen
Velo3600_R_BCG.jpg

Screen display during write to card, on average a wait of 15 seconds!
Velo3600_RS_BCG.jpg

Velo3600. Image quality is (insert your own description here), the background on the left is starting to look sharpish?
PHTO0002_BCG.jpg

Velo3600. On macro setting!
PHTO0004_BCG.jpg

Any offers for the camera ( I will throw in the 2GBmicro SD Card) will be given serious consideration.;)
A camera like this rarely comes on to the market these days! :eek:

Last edited:
I’ve still got a Sony cyber shot DSC-S75 from 2001. Whopping 3.3 megapixels and an a 8 mb memory stick. The photos it took were quite decent for its time.

5116B54B-179A-4A7F-BF30-43B0DC7AB95A.jpeg

I'm probably going to date myself here, but...

This reminds me of the first digital I ever laid my hands on. It was a Sony Mavica, don't remember the actual model number, but it saved to 3.5" floppies so I can't imagine it was very high megapixel! It was quite handy - eject the floppy from the camera, insert into your 3.5" drive, no card reader needed!

I actually got to hold one of the early Nikon conversions with the Kodak digital back after the base I was stationed at got some in the early-to-mid-1990s: very bulky and heavy. Image quality was great, because the commander said it was!

Back