Do I need a leveling tripod head?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I would never pick a tripod without option to quickly level it. However, there are addons allowing to do so - for instance leofoto solutions, for oridinary, non systematic, flat base tripods. Systematic tripods are just as good - you set it up i na way it will suit you best.

I read the advice of a pro wildlife photographer to twist my body first and then while shooting a sequence to be unwinding my body as I panned with the camera. This coupled with a high fps rate works well enough.

I discovered this tip when I was very heavily into video around 20 years ago and have used it for panning ever since (y)

I can't imagine using a gimbal or ballhead on a tripod without a levelling base with Arca-Swiss QR clamp.... They simplify setup and positioning, whether using a wide angle or telephoto.

1706614606018.png

I am going to summarize my current position on leveling heads based on feedback from others here and elsewhere and my initial impressions:

There is no question to my mind that a leveling base is a much more efficient way to get things level.

A level head is important for video work.

For landscapes a level head helps with keeping the horizons and verticals straight. In my experience you can do this with the camera's leveling gauges or in post, but if you are working on a tripod you can concentrate on other things and don't have to try to balance things manually while shooting. This could be especially useful working on a tripod with super wide lenses. Having things preset and verified for level assures pinpoint accuracy.

There are some who feel that having a level head helps with gimbal heads. It allows easier panning when tracking a bird in horizontal flight. If you are taking this approach I presume you would make sure your lens/camera is also level and lock down the lens rotation. It is an interesting technique I am going to give it a try and see what I think. Typically my gimbal work involves keeping everything loose.

I had concerns over carrying my tripod with heavy lens attached with a leveling head in between. I was worried about something coming loose and causing my expensive equipment to suffer a nasty fall. I think as a matter of policy I am no longer going to hike any distance with the tripod with big lens attached slung over my shoulder. I think I need to do this whether or not I am also using a leveling head.

I have Gitzo leveling bases on both my Gitzo tripods. I find it much faster when fine tuning with a Gimbal head. Although it adds weight I think the ease of use and accuracy outweighs the increase in weight.

I can't imagine using a gimbal or ballhead on a tripod without a levelling base with Arca-Swiss QR clamp.... They simplify setup and positioning, whether using a wide angle or telephoto.

View attachment 80221
I never directly attach a lens/camera to the tripod. I am using either a gimbal head or a ball head. Both of those devices have arca swiss plates on them but attach to the tripod with the usual 3/8 screw thread.

I never directly attach a lens/camera to the tripod. I am using either a gimbal head or a ball head. Both of those devices have arca swiss plates on them but attach to the tripod with the usual 3/8 screw thread.
This is quite convinient when shooting at low level, but gives only 20 degree of freedom - the bowl with arca clamp - but are almost as low as possible. Prety similar to the monopod setup with only clamp/screw (I use my monopod that way).

Another solution to be very low is mounting the camera on gimbal in a reversed position ( i think it is called cradle - English is not my mother tongue). So the lensfoot is above the camera (the clamp obviously too).

I still think that for low angle shooting the best solution is:
-ground pod (Huga nature makes very very good ones from aluminium, you can make one from a frying pan, or 3d print it. I have huga and two self printed ones)
-use sledge (check out Morten Hilmer Video)
-use nothing or a pillow (I do this very very often, if you are scared of sand, use a lens cover)

Back