Do you use an ipad for photo viewing in the field?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

wotan1

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I am looking for something that can be used for inspecting RAW files in the field.

Have you tried an Ipad for this purpose? If so what model Ipad and what application?

Is there a solution that allows you to view RAW images direct from the camera?

I use a Z9.

I use an iPad Pro 11 M1
I copy all my images to it using a usb-c cable, then from the iPad I copy to a Sandisc SSD.
I have Affinity Photo on both the iPad and my iMac at home.m

Frequently load, view and edit with LR in the field on 12.9 iPad Pro M1 with a USB-C Lexar CFE reader. At the end of the day, generally. I’m currently revisiting that workflow, however, as I learn more about how others manage their workflow. Some great ideas on this forum. I can see how these new workflows I’m learning about might make more sense for wildlife shooters than for urban street shooters, for example, like where I have come from.

Some of that inspecting might get done in the car or at a restaurant.
I do exactly what Patrick does. Works great for me. Just be aware that if you have a z8, the z8 RAW files are not compatible yet with Apple photos. Hopefully in the near future Apple wi’ll do its job and update it.

I do exactly what Patrick does. Works great for me. Just be aware that if you have a z8, the z8 RAW files are not compatible yet with Apple photos. Hopefully in the near future Apple wi’ll do its job and update it.

I was not aware that Apple worked for Nikon to have immediate access to Nikon's propriety information..and I'm no Apple fanboy...

I am looking for something that can be used for inspecting RAW files in the field.

Have you tried an Ipad for this purpose? If so what model Ipad and what application?

I use a Z9.
YES! There is a way. I use my iPad with my Z8 as the first step in my workflow. You will need a HDMI cable and one of these:
4K HDMI Capture https://a.co/d/grr615n

This is a CAPTURE dongle, HDMI to USB-C. If you have a USB-C to HDMI dongle, it will not work. And your iPad MUST have a USB-C port; lightning will not work.

I also recommend a Smallrig HDMI cable, as it’s really thin, short, and easier to deal with than a “regular“ HDMI cable.

EDIT: One more thing, a free app for the HDMI capture is necessary. I tried several and this one had the most minimal interface, which is all that is needed. https://apps.apple.com/app/id6465788521

Best of luck.

Last edited:
YES! There is a way. I use my iPad with my Z8 as the first step in my workflow. You will need a HDMI cable and one of these:
4K HDMI Capture https://a.co/d/grr615n

This is a CAPTURE dongle, HDMI to USB-C. If you have a USB-C to HDMI dongle, it will not work. And your iPad MUST have a USB-C port; lightning will not work.

I also recommend a Smallrig HDMI cable, as it’s really thin, short, and easier to deal with than a “regular“ HDMI cable

Best of luck.
That's a good idea, haven't thought of that. It doesn't allow transfer, does it? Just viewing, essentially extending the rear of the camera?

On very rare occasion I let a client join me on a shoot and this would be a good way to show them outgoing work. And regret it because it'll inevitably lead to reshooting. In the studio where I shoot tethered my computer is hooked to an external screen via hdmi and the client sits in front of that.

I use a Z9.
Have you considered Snapbridge? It's intended for that use and works well with JPEG files. The issue is the larger the JPEG, the more time required for data transfer. A NEF file contains a Large Fine JPEG that allows zooming for detail, but transfer to you iPad will be slow.

What about using Lightroom? The cloud version allows you to transfer and upload images then view as desired.

I use a Z9.
Yes, I do use my iPad Air for a quick review of images as I’m transferring them to backup SSDs. I’ve tried editing images using the Photoshop app, but it doesn’t do a very good job, at least in my view. When I’m in the field, I like to maximize my time shooting, not editing, unless I get an unusually bad weather day. However, I do find it useful to have my iPad along, just to see images on a larger screen format, so that I can make any adjustments to settings the next time I’m out shooting.

Have you considered Snapbridge? It's intended for that use and works well with JPEG files. The issue is the larger the JPEG, the more time required for data transfer. A NEF file contains a Large Fine JPEG that allows zooming for detail, but transfer to you iPad will be slow.

What about using Lightroom? The cloud version allows you to transfer and upload images then view as desired.
The bottleneck is getting the files off the camera into the iPad. HDMI is 'view only,' which is fast, essentially an external monitor. Files ain't moving.

I’ve tried several time to use an iPad on the go rather than a laptop but I’ve never found a workflow that worked well for me.

My main computer runs Lightroom which serves as my DAM (digital archive management) and getting whatever is on the iPad synced to the DAM has always been a struggle.

I also use Photo Mechanic intensely for keywording and metadata, of which there isn’t a good option for the iPad/IOS.

In an ideal world, I’d have the iPad as a smart go-between to backup my cards to an SSD and add metadata while also giving me the option to rate and cull - it’d save a lot of time.

But then I run into the problem of wanting a keyboard to do some journaling or note taking or email responses and suddenly my iPad with cover and keyboard is looking a lot like MacBook Air.

Currently I have only one computer, a MacBook Pro - if I were to do it over I’d get a Mac Studio for all the heavy lifting and a MacBook Air for the field/on the go.

I like the idea of an iPad in the field, but I’ve never enjoyed the actual experience having owned a few of them over the years. YMMV, it seems to work well for some.

I have tried Snapbridge I found it both buggy and not very useful.

On a PC I have used Nikon software to preview RAW images it has useful information for evaluating shooting settings and technique.

I have not bought an Ipad yet I just switched to an Iphone and I am wondering if an Ipad can help.
I think the choices are between an Ipad, Android pad or a PC laptop or tablet.

Currently I use a Surface Laptop (I7, 500gb hard drive) for general hacking around. For serious work I have a high end Razer Blade 15 laptop with high end graphics card, OLED screen, I9 processor and large hard drive. Plus several external hard drives and a RAID 5 four-drive array. That nasty beast is portable enough (without the RAID drive) to bring on trips. The Surface laptop is very portable and light but too large and cumbersome to bring on a day shoot.

Interesting - here are my changes on a PC:

F key = Full screen image only on a Black background
Ctrl+Shift+F = Toggles between normal view and Image Only view with comparison icons shown at the bottom; image background is the same as my normal editing display - in my case a White background
Shft+F = Cycles through a series of views including different tool bars above and below the image

I have tried Snapbridge I found it both buggy and not very useful.

On a PC I have used Nikon software to preview RAW images it has useful information for evaluating shooting settings and technique.
Snapbridge has evolved a good bit since the early days. There may be specific issues - especially with large file transfer - but for many applications it is pretty good. I would not describe it as buggy - but problems may show up depending on settings and file size. Moving several NEF files at a time is very different from using it for a small JPEG.

For Snapbridge maybe I have to play with settings.

I have it working. My problem is it keeps uploading all the files on the card. The individual files are not good enough quality for me to evaluate a particular image. Lately it is full and does not take new images so I have to delete something.

It does however work with Merlin for bird identification.

I’ve tried several time to use an iPad on the go rather than a laptop but I’ve never found a workflow that worked well for me.

My main computer runs Lightroom which serves as my DAM (digital archive management) and getting whatever is on the iPad synced to the DAM has always been a struggle.

I also use Photo Mechanic intensely for keywording and metadata, of which there isn’t a good option for the iPad/IOS.

In an ideal world, I’d have the iPad as a smart go-between to backup my cards to an SSD and add metadata while also giving me the option to rate and cull - it’d save a lot of time.

But then I run into the problem of wanting a keyboard to do some journaling or note taking or email responses and suddenly my iPad with cover and keyboard is looking a lot like MacBook Air.

Currently I have only one computer, a MacBook Pro - if I were to do it over I’d get a Mac Studio for all the heavy lifting and a MacBook Air for the field/on the go.

I like the idea of an iPad in the field, but I’ve never enjoyed the actual experience having owned a few of them over the years. YMMV, it seems to work well for some.
It’s pretty straightforward but you need to buy a USB hub, plug the hub into the iPad, then plug your external drives into the other side of the hub. Once set up, just click on the iPad’s Files App and the camera folder (and files) should appear. Looks like this:

IMG_1060.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

IMG_1058.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I was not aware that Apple worked for Nikon to have immediate access to Nikon's propriety information..and I'm no Apple fanboy...
What’s your point. I am an Apple fanboy and Apple has been dragging their feet ever since the z8 was released. They had no problem getting out anupdate for the z9 but the update for the z8 is nowhere to be found. None of the other photo apps used on this forum have a problem with z8 files. What’s the story Apple? Get your act together.

It’s pretty straightforward but you need to buy a USB hub, plug the hub into the iPad, then plug your external drives into the other side of the hub. Once set up, just click on the iPad’s Files App and the camera folder (and files) should appear. Looks like this:

View attachment 81289

View attachment 81290
Maybe I’m missing something - but where would you edit metadata? And how would you rate and cull images in this setup?

Back