Do you use an ipad for photo viewing in the field?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Maybe I’m missing something - but where would you edit metadata? And how would you rate and cull images in this setup?
I don’t do any editing, although I suppose that it’s possible - I just don’t even try. I use it simply to quickly review images on a larger screen, and to transfer them from the camera’s card to backup devices.

YES! There is a way. I use my iPad with my Z8 as the first step in my workflow. You will need a HDMI cable and one of these:
4K HDMI Capture https://a.co/d/grr615n

This is a CAPTURE dongle, HDMI to USB-C. If you have a USB-C to HDMI dongle, it will not work. And your iPad MUST have a USB-C port; lightning will not work.

I also recommend a Smallrig HDMI cable, as it’s really thin, short, and easier to deal with than a “regular“ HDMI cable.

EDIT: One more thing, a free app for the HDMI capture is necessary. I tried several and this one had the most minimal interface, which is all that is needed. https://apps.apple.com/app/id6465788521

Best of luck.
I followed your advise/example and it works great. Best of all it is super easy to setup. Thanks for your post

Maybe I’m missing something - but where would you edit metadata? And how would you rate and cull images in this setup?
I use a Card reader and plug it directly into the iPad. I then import directly into the Apple photo app. From there you can cull, edit and amend metadata. Very easy and relatively fast. You can then export to an ssd from there. The ssd plugs directly into the iPad.

I would love to use my IPAD pro to review and rate the images when I am on the move but the biggest bottleneck is the software...I would prefer a software like a fast raw viewer or Nikon's own NX studio that doesn't need the pics to be imported. I prefer having my images on an SSD instead and just use a standalone culling software to view and rate my images.

I would love to use my IPAD pro to review and rate the images when I am on the move but the biggest bottleneck is the software...I would prefer a software like a fast raw viewer or Nikon's own NX studio that doesn't need the pics to be imported. I prefer having my images on an SSD instead and just use a standalone culling software to view and rate my images.
I have used NX studio as well and like it. Are you saying that NX Studio is not compatible with ipad?

I have used NX studio as well and like it. Are you saying that NX Studio is not compatible with ipad?
I absolutely love NX studio for image culling as it brings out the best colors and also shows the focus point position, AF mode used and a lot of other settings that are handy. Nope, NX Studio is not available for IPAD OS..they only have Windows and Mac versions.

Back