do you use binoculars to help spot wildlife?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have a pair of 10x42 Leica glasses I bought a long time ago. I find the field of view a bit narrow and uncomfortable for lengthy viewing..

Recently I added the Mavic 8x42's and I find them more comfortable for viewing. These are very sharp and let a lot of light in so work better for me when scanning the field for interesting activity.

As I’m a fairly serious bird watcher I always carry bins. They are useful to spot rarities or an especially pretty bird that. I would often overlook with just The camera. As I handhold I carry the bins with a harness and the camera on my hip with a simple loop that I hook the tripod foot onto. I can QuickDraw the camera really fast to get on BIF and I practice this. I don’t have any exotic glass so this works well for me.

Most of my photography is done from a vehicle in wildlife parks in Southern Africa , where local maps and binoculars are essential in finding and locating the subject matter to photograph. - I or my wife will usually spot the distant animal /bird using binoculars and with the help of local maps then drive to the closer or more suitable location for photographing the subject .
Binoculars are also good in using to study more finer details of the subject matter or for obtaining a better perspective of the local geography or nature.
I use a pair of Nikon Monarch7 8x42, and my wife a pair of Nikon 10 x 25 Sportstars.
Gavin

Back