Does anybody using Nikon 28-300mm/3.5-5.6 on Z-bodies?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ElenaH

Hi Folks!
I'd like to have one lens for Z7 for hiking with a good versatility and big zoom-range. I looked at Z 24-200 but at 70mm it has already f6. Then I thought maybe Z 24-120 will be a choice but it is quite expensive and will not be available here, in Europe for a long time anyway. I can get second-hand Nikon 28-300 for about 340-400€. I know, it is not sharp at 300mm and it is not sharp at the edges but actually I don't care. I noticed that it has nicely saturated and not oversaturated colors and a good dimensionality (analog look, 3D).
Does anybody from you use this lens on Z-bodies? Can you please drop some pictures and share your experience? I looked for pictures in Flickr but found only DSLR-pictures with 28-300. Thank you very much, very appreciated!

The 28-300 has f5.6 from around 100mm from what I've read, so not so different to the 24-200. It will probably be a lot heavier too. If budget is a consideration the Tamron 28-300 f3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD is very light at 420 grams v the 800 of the Nikkor, weatherproof, stabilised and has a better AF motor than the other Tamron 28-300lens. The other version - the Tamron 28-300mm XR Di VC is heavier and IIRC not weatherproof, so the PZD one is the one to get.

The half stop difference to the Nikon can be easily compensated for by nudging the ISO up and is a good compromise for saving half of the weight is you are only using it what hiking.

Thank you, Graham @dabhand16 for reply. I didn't think about Tamron... I had some PZD lenses but for DX and didn't think that there are some for FX as well.. The half a stop on the long end (300mm) is absolutely OK in comparison to Z 24-200mm. I would take Z lens but I don't really like that it has f6 already by 70mm! On the other hand I will photograph landscapes during hiking and use f8 probably. The quastion is how it performs for close-ups...
I will check Tamron anyway :)

Yes indeed check the reviews and specs. I think it might well suit your needs all round and is the lightest option too.

The Sigma 28-300 has no stabilisation and is heavier, but is probably cheaper. Might be worth looking at. Saw one on MPB UK for £94!

Last edited:
The current version of the Nikon 28-300 mm lens is my favorite all-around lens for all types of photography. If I want to go light and carry one lens--that is the one I use.
I have put it on my Nikon Z50 but the adaptor and the lens make for a bulky package that overwhelmed the Z50. The lens should work much better on the Z7 .

Back