Does Nikon 180-600mm lens work well with Z7ii

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'm looking for guidance from anyone with experience of this combo. I currently use a DSLR D7500 and the 200-500mm but I'm considering changing over to mirrorless. Everyone is raving about the new lens but from what I've seen it's always in conjunction with the z8 or z9 both of which are well out of my price range. I thought I heard a comment about the autofocus only really working 100% with the 8 & 9 cameras. I'd be trading in camera and lens for this switch so want to make sure the end results and additional cost justify it. Been with Nikon for 5 years now but in two minds whether to move to proposed new combination of look at Sony... gasp!!

I'm looking for guidance from anyone with experience of this combo. I currently use a DSLR D7500 and the 200-500mm but I'm considering changing over to mirrorless. Everyone is raving about the new lens but from what I've seen it's always in conjunction with the z8 or z9 both of which are well out of my price range. I thought I heard a comment about the autofocus only really working 100% with the 8 & 9 cameras. I'd be trading in camera and lens for this switch so want to make sure the end results and additional cost justify it. Been with Nikon for 5 years now but in two minds whether to move to proposed new combination of look at Sony... gasp!!
The lens AF works fine with any mirrorless camera and will work fine with the Z7 II. That said, there's no doubt the Z8/Z9 AF system is much improved over the Z7 II and yes the overall AF system, especially for fast subjects will work better and have more features with the higher end cameras but the lens itself will work fine and deliver fine images with the Z6/Z7 series cameras.

Also, remember there will be a field of view and effective 'reach' tradeoff when going from a crop sensor D7500 and 200-500mm lens (effective 300-750mm FoV) to a full frame camera (Z7 II) and 200-600mm lens. You'll step into the advantages of full frame in situations where you can adequately fill that larger frame but compared to what you've been shooting you'll have to learn to get closer or crop to achieve similar subject sizes in the frame or shoot with smaller subject sizes and more environment in the frame.

Thanks for that. I'd sort of forgotten the the crop sensor trade off. Closeness to subject is a major factor as it's mainly birds that I photograph. However I find the 200-500 really quite slow to find focus and the D7500 definitely doesn't cope with low light. I find image quality drops off fast when cropped. Struggling to work out best compromise. Some people have recommended Sony but that's a whole new system to learn. Oh to have bags of cash!

I’ve been using the original Z7 with both Nikon Z and Sigma lenses for 2 years and find that complaints about focusing problems are overblown. The focus strategies definitely are different than a mirrored camera, but once you get acquainted with them, focus is rarely a problem. With high pixel density, operator motion during exposure will cause more blurry images than the camera’s focus system.

Thanks for that, good point re user movement / pixel density. Higher pixel numbers give better crops but I do most of my photography hand held so another trade off. I find it easier and quicker to make a decision about buying a car than choosing my next camera.

I think that the Z 7 II will be fine for most subjects, but not as good for fast-moving subjects as the Z 8 or Z 9. Its 45MP FX sensor will crop down to a 19MP area in DX mode, which is similar to your D7500’s 20.9MP sensor.

Another option might be the new Nikon Zf, which is supposed to have a fast AF system that works well in low light. And is half the price of a Z 8. The Nikon 1.4x converter is supposed to work well with the 180-600mm lens. If you need the extra reach, a Zf + 1.4x converter + 180-600mm lens might be a good combo that gives results similar to a cropped area from a Z 7 II.

Thanks for that, good point re user movement / pixel density. Higher pixel numbers give better crops but I do most of my photography hand held so another trade off. I find it easier and quicker to make a decision about buying a car than choosing my next camera.
My previous camera was a D800. Nikon issued a booklet with that camera explaining that 36MP (which was crazy high pixel count 10 years ago) was sensitive to slight movement. Nikon recommended using a tripod or faster shutter speeds, if hand held. I followed their advice and found my keeper rate improved significantly.

I owned a Z6 prior to the Z7. Honestly, unless you like really large prints or pixel pee during processing, the image quality is excellent with both 24MP and 45MP.

You would benefit greatly by moving up to a Z8 or Z9 vs the Z7II. Blackout free EVF. High frame rates for more unique captures. Customizable AF boxes. 3D tracking that works. Animal eye AF that works on birds and wildlife. Better customization with the buttons. On and on.

If money is an issue I would wait for the Z8 to pop up in one of Nikon’s refurb sales. However, there is at least one review that used the 180-600 on their Z7II. The Digital Camera News review used that pair.

Last edited:
Agreed on that ^^ if you are budget conscious - mirrorless is still a bit spendy these days. If you're committed to the changeover, you may wish to wait until used Z8 bodies hit the market, or a refurb sale. You'll be waiting until next year though I bet.

If you're not particularly committed to switching to mirrorless, but just want a better camera - you'd be surprised how much faster and more agile the D500 is, and you can pick one up for a song these days. The finest DX camera Nikon has made to date. And you could consider upgrading from the 200-500 to a 500PF if you want more speed and quality.

Just some ideas. I understand the obsession! I'm currently obsessing over two lenses I can't afford in the slightest... a 400 and a 600... lol

As others said…it will work just fine. The Z6II/7II have some AF limitations compred to their more expensive brothers…but if the AF gets the shot for you then the lens works fine. I found that my Z7II worked well for animals and still or moving birds but the D7500 was really beyyer by a good margin for BIF…lots of lens hunting in that scenario on the Z7II even with the excellent 500PF. From a financial,standpoint…the Z7II was a step back for BIF but the o5er advantages of the Z series made it worthwhile. If you do a lot of BIF then I would try and stretch the budget to the Z8…theres a 1K price difference of course but it’s definitely worth it if BIF is in your wheelhouse.

Agreed on that ^^ if you are budget conscious - mirrorless is still a bit spendy these days. If you're committed to the changeover, you may wish to wait until used Z8 bodies hit the market, or a refurb sale. You'll be waiting until next year though I bet.

If you're not particularly committed to switching to mirrorless, but just want a better camera - you'd be surprised how much faster and more agile the D500 is, and you can pick one up for a song these days. The finest DX camera Nikon has made to date. And you could consider upgrading from the 200-500 to a 500PF if you want more speed and quality.

Just some ideas. I understand the obsession! I'm currently obsessing over two lenses I can't afford in the slightest... a 400 and a 600... lol
Thanks for this. As usual everything to do with photography is just so expensive and prohibitive. With social media and You tube it's difficult not to want to keep up with technology. Did think about a D850 as that was seen as Nikon's workhorse but I can't help feel like although better than the D7500 it's a step back the way in technical options. Lots Of suggestions coming from the. Forum which gives me something to think about. Can see me holding off for a few months to see what comes onto the used market. Thanks 👍

As others said…it will work just fine. The Z6II/7II have some AF limitations compred to their more expensive brothers…but if the AF gets the shot for you then the lens works fine. I found that my Z7II worked well for animals and still or moving birds but the D7500 was really beyyer by a good margin for BIF…lots of lens hunting in that scenario on the Z7II even with the excellent 500PF. From a financial,standpoint…the Z7II was a step back for BIF but the o5er advantages of the Z series made it worthwhile. If you do a lot of BIF then I would try and stretch the budget to the Z8…theres a 1K price difference of course but it’s definitely worth it if BIF is in your wheelhouse.

Thanks Anjin, your comment about a step back the way by moving from the d7500 to the Z7ii for BIF really surprised me. I think the general consensus is that if I'm committed to switching I should bide my time until the z8 is within the price range. Whether that is new or used. Lots of really useful and helpful suggestions from the forum.

You would benefit greatly by moving up to a Z8 or Z9 vs the Z7II. Blackout free EVF. High frame rates for more unique captures. Customizable AF boxes. 3D tracking that works. Animal eye AF that works on birds and wildlife. Better customization with the buttons. On and on.

If money is an issue I would wait for the Z8 to pop up in one of Nikon’s refurb sales. However, there is at least one review that used the 180-600 on their Z7II. The Digital Camera News review used that pair.

Thanks for link. Lots of people seem to be reinforcing that it's worth moving to the z8 even if that means holding off for a used unit. Think I'll need to bide my time for a few more months. Thanks 👍

Thanks Anjin, your comment about a step back the way by moving from the d7500 to the Z7ii for BIF really surprised me. I think the general consensus is that if I'm committed to switching I should bide my time until the z8 is within the price range. Whether that is new or used. Lots of really useful and helpful suggestions from the forum.
Yeah…overall the Z7II is a better body than the D7500…EVF, newer AF with more capabilities…but it struggles with BIF. I did get some keepers but not as many as with the D7500, at least for me. Thee were lots of close but no ceegar shots with the Z7II…and I tried a variety of AF modes and areas and varied the settings but it was just generally a lot of focus hunting through the range. Focus distance helped a little but still not as good with the Z7II. It’s bigger and more expensive brothers are night and day better than it is…and we may never see a Z7III. FPS also suffers with the 6/7 as well.

Back