Does Z9 subject detection AF work using an F mount lens and FTZ adapter?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Pat L

Supporting Member
After great success using subject detection in various AF area modes with my new Z9 and 100-400mm Z lens, I decided to see how it would work with an older F mount 70-200 f 2.8 lens and FTZii adapter. The autofocus worked fine, but I could not get a lock on with the subject detection on the small subjects (birds at a feeder) that I targeted. The area was low light and the birds moved fast, so I am not sure if SD really doesn't work with this lens or if it was just the circumstances. I could not find anything on the subject on the internet and the camera dealer that I spoke to said I needed to buy a new Z lens or it would never work. A call to Nikon support at first stymied the tech, but after a conference with his mates, he said it should work if I set AF mode to Auto rather than AF area wide or any of the other area modes that I typically use with subject detection.

So, I am asking if anyone has tried an F mount lens on their Z cameras and found that subject detection does/doesn't work ? works in some cases based on lighting, subjects, etc., or works using certain settings, etc.

I am trying to avoid having to buy yet another new lens when I already own some very nice ones with F mounts.

So, I am asking if anyone has tried an F mount lens on their Z cameras and found that subject detection does/doesn't work ? works in some cases based on lighting, subjects, etc., or works using certain settings, etc.
Subject and eye detection work fine with adapted F mount lenses. I've been shooting my Z9 with the 300mm PF, 500mm PF, 600mm f/4 E-FL all as straight lenses or combined with 1.4x and 1.7x teleconverters and in all cases AF is fast and accurate and subject/eye detection works just fine.

Thanks. It makes sense that it would work since it is the camera that does it. I will try again with different subjects/settings. Odd that even Nikon support didn't know this.

Your post implies that you have had no problem with small images and a Z lens...if so you are a very lucky ma. AF and AI is not perfect and the biggest problem (in my opinion) is the fallibility of the technology with a small bird amidst the foliage. I dont have any mirrorless lenses but I am sure the problem is the same. A 70-200 probably didnt have the reach to alter this problem

A call to Nikon support at first stymied the tech, but after a conference with his mates, he said it should work if I set AF mode to Auto rather than AF area wide or any of the other area modes that I typically use with subject detection.
He and his mates are mistaken. Subject and eye detection work fine with adapted lens in the Wide Small and Wide Large AF Area modes as well as the custom C1 and C2 modes, 3D and Auto.

Back