Dreary June Morning at the Pier

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

JohnW

5:01 am on a wet and dreary morning at the Pier on St Augustine Beach. Had passed on processing a number of times but decided to try and portray the isolation I felt that dreary and wet morning

D800 with Rokinon 14mm f2.8 @ 1/20 iso 400

JW8_8255-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

i love this. it's dark and maybe a little desolate looking. have you considered cropping off the bottom quarter, i think that would bring the focus more on the pier and sky.
Thanks, it was very dark (5:01 AM) and desolate under the rain, which is the feeling I was trying to convey. Have not looked at cropping the bottom but may look at it.

Last edited:
Thanks, it was very dark (5:01 AM) and desolate under the rain, which is the feeling I was trying to convey. Have not looked st cropping the bottom bt may look at it.

i wasn't saying the darkness (referring to the feeling, not the amibient levels) and dreariness was bad, it's what makes the photo for me. just saying that's how it makes me feel when i look at it. so you hit the nail on the head with this one.

i wasn't saying the darkness (referring to the feeling, not the amibient levels) and dreariness was bad, it's what makes the photo for me. just saying that's how it makes me feel when i look at it. so you hit the nail on the head with this one.
No problem and I didn't take your comment as saying the darknesss was a detriment, all good! here.

I think the composition captures perfectly the story you wanted to tell. The placement of the pier which is always difficult for me when trying to accomplish similar effects, is perfect - not too close and not too far away. Well done.

Back