If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RichF

Well-known and Infamous Member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
From trip last month to Tanzania. Early morning shot of a pair of lions drinking. Which orientation do you prefer (I won't tell which was original) and could tell me why. Also as before I am pulling back on the processing. Thoughts on how to improve.

Thanks
Drink Lions - Right to Left.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Drink Lions - Left to Right.jpg

In terms of processing have you tried just a little more contrast in the lions, and increasing the shadows throughout?
thanks

How does this look?

Fisher Drinking Lions V2.jpg

Before changes

Fisher_Early_Morning_Drink_(Right_to_Left).jpg

Last edited:
Doesn't this depend on whether you are right or left handed, or which way your home faces sunrise, in part.....well anyway for me, I prefer the first one. Can't explain it though.
I think it may depend upon how you read (left to right or right to left). or perhaps something else?

I prefer the new edits. My reasoning on the shadows and might do it with a more selective masking is that the shoreline creates great contrast with the lion and his muddy paw so I would want to see more of that detail. The shoreline also serves as an arc to bring the eye in.
got it. WIll need to work on it a bit

The original - unless you are doing a book where you should orient the image in accordance with the facing page. Or perhaps this is to be a part of an arrangement of several images and then you should consider that surrounding images.

The original - unless you are doing a book where you should orient the image in accordance with the facing page. Or perhaps this is to be a part of an arrangement of several images and then you should consider that surrounding images.
thanks Karen. I asked the question for a stand alone (competition) image.

I like the 1st orientation much better as well - interesting exercise as the second feels closed off and I stop at the 1st lion face whereas on the 1st version my eyes take both lions in.
scan left to right. Notice the eyes first ??