DXO NIK 5

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

sh1209

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I would like to see if anyone has used the NIK collections and what your thoughts are regarding them. I've never been one for purchasing presets but have made a few of my own. The software has been around for nearly 30 years and gets great reviews but not sure how useful if at all it would be for wildlife subjects. Any thoughts appreciated.

I would like to see if anyone has used the NIK collections and what your thoughts are regarding them. I've never been one for purchasing presets but have made a few of my own. The software has been around for nearly 30 years and gets great reviews but not sure how useful if at all it would be for wildlife subjects. Any thoughts appreciated.
I have an older version of them and used it a lot more when I used LightRoom but they don’t have a plug-in for C1 so I haven’t upgraded. I always thought it worked pretty well but I also never really tried it for wildlife. I used silver efex and viveza the most. I found the B&W conversion in silver efex to work really well and viveza worked pretty well for landscapes. It might be worthwhile to try the free trial. I don’t think they are as useful as they were in the past and I honestly forget I still have them. I really need to give them another try.

I have an older version of them and used it a lot more when I used LightRoom but they don’t have a plug-in for C1 so I haven’t upgraded. I always thought it worked pretty well but I also never really tried it for wildlife. I used silver efex and viveza the most. I found the B&W conversion in silver efex to work really well and viveza worked pretty well for landscapes. It might be worthwhile to try the free trial. I don’t think they are as useful as they were in the past and I honestly forget I still have them. I really need to give them another try.
I recently started using dxo noise reduction software in conjunction with Adobe and keep getting emails trying to get me to try NIK. I might give the trial a go and see how it is. Seems like it would be useful for people or landscape. I’ve heard the silver efex is pretty awesome from some people over the years.

I recently started using dxo noise reduction software in conjunction with Adobe and keep getting emails trying to get me to try NIK. I might give the trial a go and see how it is. Seems like it would be useful for people or landscape. I’ve heard the silver efex is pretty awesome from some people over the years.
Yeah, I always liked Silver Efex. Now most of my B&W stuff is shot on an IR converted camera and requires different processing, but I really need to look at converting some wildlife shots to B&W. I also found viveza to work well for pulling shadows and working on select parts of the image. The way it works is pretty cool. I would probably use them more if i didn’t have to export the file, edit it, then reimport it all manually.

I used to use NIK a lot more. I really loved their U-point control technology. As other have commented SilverEfex is the best B&W post processing application there is. However, since DXO took over, I don't like the modifications they have done to the user interface. Also, adjustments aren't nearly as smooth as they were before under NIK and then Google. However, Lightroom's masking interface has improved a lot and so I don't find I use NIK quite as much. At this point the only thing that will keep me coming back is SilverEfex.

I have used what I think is the last free Google version nikcollection-full-1.2.11.exe in the past with good results in a few different applications.
Comparing them is difficult as some parts of the free Google/DXO(?) NIK collection/s are not offered by other companies.
The sharpen and denoise offerings in my opinion have been surpassed by other products Topaz etc.
I have not used any of the paid versions of the DXO products, it may be worth a free trial at least?

I did install the free DXO version of NIK collection and was not amused with the amount of detritus left after the uninstall.
The archive directory for DXO NIK collection is annotated "DXO_USE_SOMETHING_ELSE".

I have the NIK collection, purchased as part of Photolab 5 about a year ago. I've only used the Silver Efex Pro 3 application and very much like it. It's a black and white conversion application, so I'm not sure how useful you'd find it for wildlife photography, but for landscapes and portraits it's very, very good.
hth,
Alex

I've been using the NIK collection for years. Mine is the free version released when Google owned it. Although I use Silver FX the most there is a good sharpening app it it and a noise reduction one too.

If you are interested they do discounts every now and then, one has recently ended.

Nik is now owned by DxO and I wonder whether DxO will optimise the suite of tools across the AI products and the NIK collection 5 and beyond. DxO's NIK site seems to be under maintenance "again" so I suspect changes are afoot.

NIK is one of the tools I use in addition to manufacturer provided RAW converters (Phocus, Capture One and very occasionally NX Studio), most frequently DxO Pure RAW 2 and LRC/PS -- very specifically I use Silver Efex Pro 3 as my go to BW conversion tool and have built a portfolio of my prefered presets.

As to the rest - well there are a lot of tools in the whole collection - BUT since Topaz Denoise AI was launched I simply stopped using them in favour of a) less time editing individual images; b) more familiarity with other products; c) improved capabilities in software I use far more frequently -- like LRC meaning that I do not feel the need to reach out as often to external tools.

When NIK was free it was a no brainer just to download and use the tools. In many regards the improvements in Adobe products like LRC (masking, local adjustments and keystoning) have reduced my "need" to use products like NIK -- except where there are problems with Adobe (particularly RAW conversion and tethering) -- the top problems are easily solved by external tools are Noise Reduction and Sharpening - and nothing beats Topaz AI tools for these processes.

The NIK collection - vs- Topaz - vs - stand alone tools (Photomatix and HeleconFocus) - vs - Editors (Adobe, DXO Photo Lab, Capture One) is a debate I have occasionally (well each time I have to subscribe again or when a large update comes out).

There are a lot of folk who love NIK Define and Sharpening Pro.

I have not made a comparison nor used either in years and now rely upon Topaz tools (but absolutely NOT Photo AI) for these tasks.

I generally do very little processing to my images.

I have used Nik Color Efex Pro (CEP) for years. I think the key to the Nik presets is to adjust the sliders to apply the tools sparingly (generally under 20 except for the Darken/Lighten Center preset).....and to carefully set the Selection points to apply the effects only where you want them. Setting the selection points is easy and quick. I made up my custom preset long ago and use it on just about every image I process. My custom preset for CEP contains the Tonal Contrast, Pro Contrast and Darken/Lighten Center presets with my own slider settings. Tonal Contrast provides just a bit of fine contrast. Pro Contrast has a slider that removes unwanted color cast. And Darken/Lighten Center allows me to apply a subtle vignette anywhere on the image. I could do all this in PS CC, but it is soooooo quick and easy using Nik CEP.

I seldom do anything else to an image other than sharpening in PS CC. Thus I can process a normal image very, very quickly. I only use those 3 presets about 90% of the time. However, in unique situations I have found about 5 other presets that can be very helpful.

As has been stated, Nik Silver Efex Pro (SEP) is simply an outstanding tool for processing B&Ws. It is my go to s/w for both IR and B&Ws.

I don't really use the other Nik tools. I haven't updated to the latest version because it doesn't seem to add features I'd use.

I generally do very little processing to my images.

I have used Nik Color Efex Pro (CEP) for years. I think the key to the Nik presets is to adjust the sliders to apply the tools sparingly (generally under 20 except for the Darken/Lighten Center preset).....and to carefully set the Selection points to apply the effects only where you want them. Setting the selection points is easy and quick. I made up my custom preset long ago and use it on just about every image I process. My custom preset for CEP contains the Tonal Contrast, Pro Contrast and Darken/Lighten Center presets with my own slider settings. Tonal Contrast provides just a bit of fine contrast. Pro Contrast has a slider that removes unwanted color cast. And Darken/Lighten Center allows me to apply a subtle vignette anywhere on the image. I could do all this in PS CC, but it is soooooo quick and easy using Nik CEP.

I seldom do anything else to an image other than sharpening in PS CC. Thus I can process a normal image very, very quickly. I only use those 3 presets about 90% of the time. However, in unique situations I have found about 5 other presets that can be very helpful.

As has been stated, Nik Silver Efex Pro (SEP) is simply an outstanding tool for processing B&Ws. It is my go to s/w for both IR and B&Ws.

I don't really use the other Nik tools. I haven't updated to the latest version because it doesn't seem to add features I'd use.
Yeah from what I’ve researched the silver efex , pro contrast and color efex pro seem to be the only ones of interest

FWIW......Some folks have wondered about using Nik on wildlife images. Well.....from within PS CC, I use 3 presets within CEP as the only processing I do on 99% of the images I shoot: wildlife, architecture, landscape, you name it! LOL!

FYI… the chap who wrote all the presets for silver efex went to Adobe and created all the B&w profiles in lightroom and ACR… I have a very old version of NIK (bought before it was free…) but I never use it anymore since lightroom’s profiles and masks are now so good…

FYI… the chap who wrote all the presets for silver efex went to Adobe and created all the B&w profiles in lightroom and ACR… I have a very old version of NIK (bought before it was free…) but I never use it anymore since lightroom’s profiles and masks are now so good…
That’s really good to know. I most likely won’t buy it but might do a trial of it.

I can tell you Photolab 6 is the most painfully slow program for exporting files that I have ever seen!
This is a result of the Deep Prime AI engine taking a while to do its job. What you see in the program is not the final image. PL6 runs its process and then write the file. Do a test using the "least" setting and then the DP XD testing and time the difference when exporting.

This is a result of the Deep Prime AI engine taking a while to do its job. What you see in the program is not the final image. PL6 runs its process and then write the file. Do a test using the "least" setting and then the DP XD testing and time the difference when exporting.
Pure raw 2 exports back to Lightroom in a fraction of the time. It doesn’t have this newest deep prime that was released today but it’s much faster

I started using NIK when Color Efex Pro 3 could be purchased and integrated with Nikon Capture. Fast forward to today, I use DXO PL5.5 Elite edition and NIK Collection, primarily CEP and Silver Efex Pro. In CEP I love using Pro Contrast and Tonal Contrast to make subtle but important adjustments using the highlights, shadows and mid tone sliders. For most of my nature images I also use Darken Lighten center to emphasize the main subject.

If you are a Photoshop user (I am not) NIK can be used as a layer and Smart Object. Google this to see how it works. This can really benefit your processing in PS.

When you select Deep Prime noise reduction in DXO PL5 Export to file does take some time. If Deep prime is not needed, Export to file is pretty quick.

I started using NIK when Color Efex Pro 3 could be purchased and integrated with Nikon Capture. Fast forward to today, I use DXO PL5.5 Elite edition and NIK Collection, primarily CEP and Silver Efex Pro. In CEP I love using Pro Contrast and Tonal Contrast to make subtle but important adjustments using the highlights, shadows and mid tone sliders. For most of my nature images I also use Darken Lighten center to emphasize the main subject.

If you are a Photoshop user (I am not) NIK can be used as a layer and Smart Object. Google this to see how it works. This can really benefit your processing in PS.

When you select Deep Prime noise reduction in DXO PL5 Export to file does take some time. If Deep prime is not needed, Export to file is pretty quick.
Thank you for all the info

The same presets I use for ALL my images! As I said in #12......the changes are subtle but important. I don't need all those other presets.....unless I have a very unique image. I select either CEP or SEP directly from PS CC. They open in a separate adjustment layer. And I seldom need to upgrade the NIK package.

Back