DXO Photolab essential, any user experiences?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I currently use Lightroom for virtually all my processing. I recently started using DXO Pure raw abd live the noise reduction module. I’m now thinking of perhaps replacing Lightroom with DXO Photolab essential as I don’t believe I need tge Elite version. Are there any users of the above that would like to share their experience? Thanks very much

I believe you don't get the deep prime nor deep prime XD in essentials. For me that knocks essentials ouf of consideration. For the same price you are better off with dxo pure raw 3 which has Deep Prime and deep prime XD plus lens corrections. Then use your normal Lightroom workflow.

As far as dropping Lightroom, I rely on the lightroom library to organize, but also I couldn't live without Photoshop.

I am recently experimenting with using Lightroom denoise ai at the beginning, then as a final output apply Topaz sharpen ai. Skipping the slower dxo. I do my final in Photoshop but no reason you can't do it in lightroom after all other lightroom adjustments as there are Plug ins for both. Also no reason you can't do dxo pure raw at the beginning, for denoise and lens corrections, process in lightroom as usual, and finish with topaz sharpen or with regular sharpening. It's all pretty similar.

Last edited:
I use the elite version. The only thing that I use it for is noise reduction and capture sharpening. The NR is unparalleled for cleaning up noise w/out artifacts. And for camera/lens combinations that DxO has profiles for the capture sharpening(lens corrections) is great. I've not tried the database management tools at all. And be aware that the interface is totally different than Adobe products. For local edits they use selection points which take some getting used to. If you're already using Pure Raw you're already getting the NR/lens corrections.

If you're trying to get away from the subscription model it is false economy switching to other editors if you keep them up to date. Particularly if you also want some sort of pixel(i.e. layer) editor similar to PS because DxO doesn't offer that so that's a second software required.

The thing I struggle with is how slow dxo is. I must have an underpowered gpu. And doing it early in the process I'm not sure if it's a keeper, but I have to wait 5 minutes to see the denoised shot. I think LR denoise is almost as good, but it is faster.

Any way to speed up dxo?

The thing I struggle with is how slow dxo is. I must have an underpowered gpu. And doing it early in the process I'm not sure if it's a keeper, but I have to wait 5 minutes to see the denoised shot. I think LR denoise is almost as good, but it is faster.

Any way to speed up dxo?
The slow processing is likely due to GPU specs. I run it on two laptops. My dedicated editing machine is built for gaming and DxO runs pretty fast. My everyday machine uses Intel Iris and is way slower. Unfortunately I use my everyday machine most of the time nowadays because I want to sit in front of the fireplace rather go down to my "office" in the basement. Interestingly my experience is the opposite i.e. LR takes WAY longer than DxO on my machine. I've never timed it but probably 2-3x longer.

If you haven't already done so you might try checking/changing your preferences in DxO. If currently set to GPU change to CPU or automatic. Or vice versa. On my editing machine I've got it set to GPU and on my everyday machine after some testing settled on automatic.

I second Dan's advice about switching the GPU setting to automatic....it may help.
I also use a gaming desktop PC for editing (and everything else). Sadly in these modern times, it's getting a bit old (purchased September 2019), but it still renders a DxO raw file using Deep Prime XD in less than 50s (27MB D500 files) so I can live with that. Oddly, I find that a Raw file rendered with Prime is about as slow as rendering it with Deep Prime XD. Prime is faster and High Quality - not surprisingly - is the fastest of all.
I've just started using DxO exclusively for my processing and comparing the results to my former hybrid processing where I use DxO for noise reduction and lens correction primarily, then send the result as a dng file into Lightroom for the final edits. Still early days, but I like the results using DxO only.
I'm also using the Elite version. I'm probably going to upgrade to version 7 and purchase the Film Pack for the extra masking capabilities....but I'll wait until November and hope for Black Friday discounts.
hth.
Alex

I must have something weird going on. I just tried the same iso 51200 45 megapixel file both ways. DXO Deep prime XD with GPU preferences set to automatic. Lightroom denoise took 1 minute 45 seconds, DXO took 9 minutes 9 seconds.

I must have something weird going on. I just tried the same iso 51200 45 megapixel file both ways. DXO Deep prime XD with GPU preferences set to automatic. Lightroom denoise took 1 minute 45 seconds, DXO took 9 minutes 9 seconds.
I hear you....I've found just the opposite - LR denoise takes about twice the time as DxO - go figure.
Computers can be mind numbingly weird at times. I blame my hair loss on problems with my computers over the years.....

I currently use Lightroom for virtually all my processing. I recently started using DXO Pure raw abd live the noise reduction module. I’m now thinking of perhaps replacing Lightroom with DXO Photolab essential as I don’t believe I need tge Elite version. Are there any users of the above that would like to share their experience? Thanks very much
Definitely get the elite version.

Definitely get the elite version.

Yup, fully agree !
I started with RAW in the times of Capture NX2 and made my way through testing of different software products.
Because it was important not to have a breakup of the processing workflow caused by forcing me into file format changes, thus juggling with NEF, DNG, TIF, ..., I ended up DxO Photolab, because - at least for me - it was the optimum solution. That said, I have to admit that - not for hobbyist/enthusiast post-processing, but for job-related reasons I am a confessing Adobe'ophobic.

For me it was never a question to move to DxO Elite and this is what I recommend, because what you pay for IMHO gives good value, not least because you can have everything in one program including AI denoising giving the full flexibility of processing step sequence, later alteration with out endless iterations between two, three or even more apps, no hidden troubel with jeopardizing meta data and things like that. If you want KISS (keep it stupid simple) this was, still is, ands most likely will still be the way to go for me.

The rest is up to you ... ;)

The only small downside to Photolab elite in my view is the fact that you only get that tiny window to view the impact of the newest NR methods. I get why they do it, it would take forever to develop full size previews, but it's hard to see what is happening in the image. So to me I still need to pass the image on to Photoshop for final edits.

Back