DxO PureRaw4 VS Lightroom

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Ok, I have downloaded the PR4.01 update and took it for a test drive using the LRCC add-in and happy to report it did not fall over, thx Bennie for the tip
Glad you got it sorted. Are you sure you have a gtx 1080 mobile, as should be 8GB per specs. My 1050 mobile on old i7 4th gen had 4GB VRAM And 1060 mobile has 6GB Per specs.

Glad you got it sorted. Are you sure you have a gtx 1080 mobile, as should be 8GB per specs. My 1050 mobile on old i7 4th gen had 4GB VRAM And 1060 mobile has 6GB Per specs.
It is a 1050, so yes upgrade long overdue but don't want to do it now whilst I am still in the DRC. I am quiet willing to wait an extra minute or 2 whilst it churns out the new file.
As for PR4 I am in 2 minds about the output and think LR is more flexible with better results.

Enjoy your trip to Etosha!

It is a 1050, so yes upgrade long overdue but don't want to do it now whilst I am still in the DRC. I am quiet willing to wait an extra minute or 2 whilst it churns out the new file.
As for PR4 I am in 2 minds about the output and think LR is more flexible with better results.

Enjoy your trip to Etosha!
When the time comes, take a good look at asus vivobook pro or pro art series that have oled screens. I bought a lighty used 13900h with 3050gpu for 750usd that I imported and the oled screen is a revelation. I am coming from a good 1440p asus ips 27” screen with 100% srgb coverage. Oled is 100% pci-d3, so also wider color gamut than srgb. Laptop is 15.6” 1440p 120hz and I now prefer it for viewing and editing photo’s over the 27” 1440p ips screen.

They also managed to include luminosity masking with Filmpack 7 only, which makes no sense to me.
Filmpack is a niche. Dxo wants to force photolab users to buy it.
So they create function requested by photolab users and put it in filmpack.
Not a nice way to play in my opinion.

I found it odd that they are waiting for a major release/update to add this to PhotoLabs. This isn't a new feature, but just a update to an existing one
Denoising is about half why users buy photolab. So DxO reserve its improvements for major releases.

Here's a good overview:

If you notice, is seems that at 3mn 9s we can see (under mouse) that DeeprimeXD is used with the nef file and not deepprime XD2 as the guy says in this video. So the same deepprime version he uses with pureraw 3 for comparison.
Do I see wrong ?

For instance with pure raw 1,2 and 3 I always leave lens sharpening off and only use the basic lens corrections. I can send 20 images over and know what to expect. With version 4 you have to go into the program and manually deselect what you want turned off each time. Really not sure why they would take the ability away to customize it like with previous versions.
This a bad DxO habit to loose some "functionnalities" somewhere when upgrading functions.

I use DxO PureRaw 3 (I didn't know there was a 4) which is fine with two caveats. The first is that it is slow - it takes 4-5 minutes to process one file.
It depends of your graphic card. It can be lot lot faster that.

This isn't an image I am keeping but an example of something strange I have experienced with pure raw 4 the last couple days 8-10 times on different images. Can't say I've ever seen anything like this in the 20 plus years I've been editing images.
_DSC5329-ARW-20240315-DxO_DeepPRIMEXD2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

This isn't an image I am keeping but an example of something strange I have experienced with pure raw 4 the last couple days 8-10 times on different images. Can't say I've ever seen anything like this in the 20 plus years I've been editing images.
View attachment 84258
Since you've got a repeatable buggy result, you should contact DxO support, send them your result image and original raw and tell them what hardware you use.

Filmpack is a niche. Dxo wants to force photolab users to buy it.
So they create function requested by photolab users and put it in filmpack.
Not a nice way to play in my opinion.

Denoising is about half why users buy photolab. So DxO reserve its improvements for major releases.

If you notice, is seems that at 3mn 9s we can see (under mouse) that DeeprimeXD is used with the nef file and not deepprime XD2 as the guy says in this video. So the same deepprime version he uses with pureraw 3 for comparison.
Do I see wrong ?

This a bad DxO habit to loose some "functionnalities" somewhere when upgrading functions.

It depends of your graphic card. It can be lot lot faster that.
Obviously as Photolab is a Lightroom replacement, not a stand alone, one trick pony. I never said otherwise. But they could easily add it as a supplemental update since it's not a new feature but an improvement to an existing one as i said earlier.

I am not at all a fan of DXO. To many people overvalue it's abilities and quality

Back