DxO PureRaw4 VS Lightroom

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

There is a lot that is new. The previous had no preview window and the lens softness and xd2 denoise algorithms are new. Worth $79 and if one doesn't think so then no need to upgrade.

I found it odd that they are waiting for a major release/update to add this to PhotoLabs. This isn't a new feature, but just a update to an existing one. *.1 updates are usually updates to existing features for companies and a full version number like from v7 to v8 is for new features.
Actually, last time they brought out a significant upgrade, (XD/PR3) the improved NR was only available in PL6 and was significantly delayed as a standalone product release. I was stuck buying a software package I had no use for solely to access the improved NR. At least this time around they chose a different upgrade path.

I have both DxO pure raw and LRc as well as topaz Denoise. I have found on average if the photo is relatively clean with minimal to moderate noise topaz pur raw can work well , nice and crisp with good detail the downside being you can’t tweak things or use it in PS where you could add a mask. In Topaz you can so I find with noisy images I tend to get better results with topas denoise, the standalone. I don’t care for the studio version. LR cc has the same issues for me as DxO pure raw in that you can’t mask areas to save critical details.

DXO is double dipping and sqeezing PL7 and PR3 users for extra $ by delaying upgrades of PL7 and forcing upgrades from PR3 to PR4.

I fell for this trick yes....and failed to check minimum sys specs. PR4 kept on falling over from LR CC and if using as stand alone LR must be closed and if lucky 1 photo can be processed.

Yes my Dell is ageing, but still ok with LR with 4GB VRAM. Btw PR4 requires minimum 8GB.

I had no plans to upgrade the laptop now....so somewhat disappointed.

DXO is double dipping and sqeezing PL7 and PR3 users for extra $ by delaying upgrades of PL7 and forcing upgrades from PR3 to PR4.

I fell for this trick yes....and failed to check minimum sys specs. PR4 kept on falling over from LR CC and if using as stand alone LR must be closed and if lucky 1 photo can be processed.

Yes my Dell is ageing, but still ok with LR with 4GB VRAM. Btw PR4 requires minimum 8GB.

Here‘s the primeXd2 requirements for Windows of pureraw4:
Nvidia RTX with 4GB of VRAM with the latest drivers
Nvidia GTX with 8GB of VRAM with the latest drivers
AMD Radeon RX6000 series with 4GB of VRAM with latest drivers
Intel ARC with 8GB of VRAM with the latest drivers

So on Nvidia gtx 1080 or 1080ti was only ones with the required 8gb vram -desktop spec, laptop might be less vram. No gtx16xx cards had 8gb vram.
Nvidia rtx 20xx, 30xx & 40xx is 4gb, so last 3 generations supported.
AMD rx6xxx or rx7xxx with 4gb, so only last 2gens supported.
Intel only top-end ARC’s with 8 or 16Gb vram supported.

For mac its m1 or newer or intel with amd rx5700 gpu

Hopefully they add some ai masking tools with primexd2 to PL8. Lightroom masking with select subject, sky, invert, intersect, subtract etc, has made masking tools in most of the competition look outdated. I am still on PL6 as not enough improvements with PL7 that are of use to me.

Unfortunately I just upgraded to version 4 and think it is awful to be honest. I have used all versions of Pure Raw and several versions of Photolab all with good results but they need to go back to the drawing board with this version.

I never pay for PureRaw. I use it for a week and always end up falling back to the stand alone Topaz Denoise AI app even though it's been all over a year since they've been updated. Photo AI still not ready for prime time.

Also, PR4 is opening and running fine on my AMD Radeon 5700 XT OC 8gb GPU

Last edited:
My biggest complaints are that it severely over sharpens and no longer allows the ability to have your preferred setting when running autopilot. For instance with pure raw 1,2 and 3 I always leave lens sharpening off and only use the basic lens corrections. I can send 20 images over and know what to expect. With version 4 you have to go into the program and manually deselect what you want turned off each time. Really not sure why they would take the ability away to customize it like with previous versions. You are right when referencing Denoise Ai because it is without a doubt the most dependable of all the programs IMO.

I have never used Lightroom because I am too cheap to pay for a subscription. I use DxO PureRaw 3 (I didn't know there was a 4) which is fine with two caveats. The first is that it is slow - it takes 4-5 minutes to process one file. I only do a raw file here and there so it's okay for me, but if you want to do large batches you would need Lightroom or something faster. Other caveat (unless version 4 has changed this) is that as far as I know there is little or no adjustment options - you just take what the program gives you (though of course you can edit from there in another program - my PureRaw 3 drops the edited image into Photoshop Elements).

I have never used Lightroom because I am too cheap to pay for a subscription. I use DxO PureRaw 3 (I didn't know there was a 4) which is fine with two caveats. The first is that it is slow - it takes 4-5 minutes to process one file. I only do a raw file here and there so it's okay for me, but if you want to do large batches you would need Lightroom or something faster. Other caveat (unless version 4 has changed this) is that as far as I know there is little or no adjustment options - you just take what the program gives you (though of course you can edit from there in another program - my PureRaw 3 drops the edited image into Photoshop Elements).

From the review video above it looks like pr4 is faster, now has a preview, and has sliders for controlling the adjustments. Might be worth the free 14 day trial or the $79 upgrade.

In regard to processing speed of DxO programs and other graphics intensive image editing, the graphics card used is crucial because it is that rather than the CPU that does the heavy lifting.

For what it’s worth in my experience, it’s much slower. The results overall are worse than the previous three versions. I am actually going to see if I can get a refund and continue with version 3.

Your computer is likely the issue with slow speed in DxO…might be time for an upgrade. 😀😀

So I’m not sure what the reason is but I decided to uninstall and reinstall the program and it now works normally. I am not sure if I screwed up somehow during installation or what but everything seems to work good now. I will still say it is slower than the previous version, especially If you use the new XD2 method.

One caveat I got from dxo previously that sped me up was going to the gpu website to get the latest driver. Apparently windows is behind the latest quite a bit.

One caveat I got from dxo previously that sped me up was going to the gpu website to get the latest driver. Apparently windows is behind the latest quite a bit.
I’ll check into that but was under the assumption that Apple did that automatically with OS updates.

Bertie, maybe try updating your graphics cards drivers. How much system ram does your laptop have?
Per link below, it works fine if do not have compliant gpu, but will revert to cpu only rendering and still work, but a lot slower. I tested it on my desktop with non compliant 4gb gtx 960 gpu and still rendered on gpu with auto under preferences, but took about 2 minutes on 20MP D500 file. Machine is amd ryzen7-5700x with 16GB ram, windows10 22h2.

when changed to cpu rendering in preferences, it took anout the same time, but is 8 core, 16 thread cpu. My laptop with 6gb 3050 gpu takes about a minute on 45MP Z8 file with older deepprime xd on PL7. I am going to Etosha NP end of next week and do not want to activate a trial now as want to compare results between xd & xd2 on new Z8 pics when I get back.

Bertie, maybe try updating your graphics cards drivers. How much system ram does your laptop have?
Per link below, it works fine if do not have compliant gpu, but will revert to cpu only rendering and still work, but a lot slower. I tested it on my desktop with non compliant 4gb gtx 960 gpu and still rendered on gpu with auto under preferences, but took about 2 minutes on 20MP D500 file. Machine is amd ryzen7-5700x with 16GB ram, windows10 22h2.

when changed to cpu rendering in preferences, it took anout the same time, but is 8 core, 16 thread cpu. My laptop with 6gb 3050 gpu takes about a minute on 45MP Z8 file with older deepprime xd on PL7. I am going to Etosha NP end of next week and do not want to activate a trial now as want to compare results between xd & xd2 on new Z8 pics when I get back.

I have 32GB ram, and 4GB VRAM 1080 card. I will run it again and see what happens. The graphics was updated very recently and running the latest
thx Bennie!

Last edited:
I have 32GB ram, and 4GB VRAM 1080 card. I will run it again and see what happens. The graphics was updated very recently and running the latest
thx Bennie!
Also appears a bit buggy on my side. 2min for one image and next export of same file with higher force details under advanced showed 22min and then reverted back to 2min after about a minute… Crashed once with limited testing. You need to exit and restart Pureraw before rendering settings changes take effect. When using gpu, never went above 12% gpu utilisation whilst with cpu went to 100% cpu utilisation.

There was an update to ver4.01 when I checked this morning and I downloaded my trial on Saturday.

Also appears a bit buggy on my side. 2min for one image and next export of same file with higher force details under advanced showed 22min and then reverted back to 2min after about a minute… Crashed once with limited testing. You need to exit and restart Pureraw before rendering settings changes take effect. When using gpu, never went above 12% gpu utilisation whilst with cpu went to 100% cpu utilisation.

There was an update to ver4.01 when I checked this morning and I downloaded my trial on Saturday.
Before I uninstalled and reinstalled the program it was taking 2-3 minutes per image but now it's 8-10 seconds per image which is similar to version 3. I am running a late 2020 iMac with 96GB of ram.

Ok, I have downloaded the PR4.01 update and took it for a test drive using the LRCC add-in and happy to report it did not fall over, thx Bennie for the tip

Before I uninstalled and reinstalled the program it was taking 2-3 minutes per image but now it's 8-10 seconds per image which is similar to version 3. I am running a late 2020 iMac with 96GB of ram.
On my laptop with rtx3050-6gb gpu it takes 19seconds on 45MP Z8 file for primeXD ver1& PL7.

Looks like it uses machine learning cores on apple silicon & ray tracing units on newer gpu’s. Works on older units, but easily into 2-3 minute ranges. Lightroom denoise ai also takes about 1 minute on my laptop, so much faster on PL7.

I mostly use lightroom denoise ai since it’s more convenient, but would process very high iso- over 10 000 on deepprime. DeepprimeXd left a lot of artifacts, which appear to have been mostly resolved with version2.

Last edited:
Back