E Mountain Bike for nature photography

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I am a wildlife photographer, but I cannot hike very far due to medical issues. I have been thinking and wondering if any of my fellow wildlife photographers have tried using one of those mountain bikes with big thick tires that has electric assist on them to travel to shoot wildlife rather than walking. I would most likely not be using it on rough trails.. just flat, fairly tame trails so I can go further in. I'd need to carry a Z9 with the 800pf on it somehow and make it easily accessible to stop and shoot with. I'm thinking some kind of harness to keep it on my body, because I think attaching it to the bike in someway would be way too rough on the rig. I'm very interested in hearing from people who do this or have tried it.

The ony way I can think of hanging a Z9+800 on my body when riding a bike would be on my back. Be it in a backback or some kind of harness.
I have tried to hang much smaller bags on my chest and it sucks. They just swing around and eventually collide with the handlebar, arms or knees or whatever. Don't even think of the sides.
Maybe the bag that comes with the 800 would work.
I'd try this weekend and report you.

Concerning the bike, a travel bike would be sufficient for flat, fairly tame trails.
Also think of suspensions (for the saddle).

As John says you would need to take care as many trails accept e Mtn bikes, many do not. For example, no trails in wilderness areas allow e Bikes. That said, I rented an e mountain bike in Teton, and it was incredible for game and bear photography along the Moose Wilson road to Jenny Lake…you can cover so much ground yet much more intimate than being in a car. Common sense needed of course to travel safely on roads and with dangerous critters around. Works great on FS and BLM dirt roads.

Last edited:
E-bike usage is exploding around here and there is talk of not allowing them in more areas now. Double check in your area via bike clubs, etc. I want one myself but don't want to buy one and have it banned where I want to use it. Not sure what to do yet!

Have any of my fellow wildlife photographer tried using one of those mountain bikes with big thick tires that has electric assist on them to travel to shoot wildlife rather than walking.
Blutch…

I have considerable ebike experience (64,000 km in the last five years). Unless the ride is across town, a camera is usually packed; in fact, all waterbird photos that I have posted on this forum were taken on ebike rides.

My combo of camera + 100–500 lens fits snugly (that's good) in my ebike's front bag. The1.4 extender, plus monopod with gimbal are taken along in the rear pannier bags. Your heftier camera + 800 lens combo—I'm envious!—would be more of a challenge: consider purchasing a robust rear pannier, or use a backpack. Note: front and rear carriers are not commonly fitted to mountain bikes.

I suggest looking through the websites of the Big Three—Giant, Specialized, Trek—in order to see what quality ebikes are available, and how much they cost (spoiler alert: much the same as mirrorless camera bodies).

More info needed: where are you (both country and region)?

… David

I am a wildlife photographer, but I cannot hike very far due to medical issues. I have been thinking and wondering if any of my fellow wildlife photographers have tried using one of those mountain bikes with big thick tires that has electric assist on them to travel to shoot wildlife rather than walking. I would most likely not be using it on rough trails.. just flat, fairly tame trails so I can go further in. I'd need to carry a Z9 with the 800pf on it somehow and make it easily accessible to stop and shoot with. I'm thinking some kind of harness to keep it on my body, because I think attaching it to the bike in someway would be way too rough on the rig. I'm very interested in hearing from people who do this or have tried it.
Hello Blutch,

I understand your situation quite well, as I found myself asking the same questions not too long ago. With age, it's natural for our legs and knees to show some signs of wear and tear, especially after several miles on the road. I currently own a mountain bike and a folding e-bike with fat tires for my travels.

The pandemic inadvertently made this transition smoother for me, and along the way, I've learned some valuable lessons that might be useful for you:

1. Invest in high-quality bikes: Visit different bike shops, ask for professional opinions, and shop around to find the best bike that suits your specific needs.
  2. Customization is key: I've found that most bikes in the States come as "bare bones". Therefore, I've added a lot of accessories to cater to my photography gear requirements.
  3. Prioritize warm-up and stretching: Before every ride, make sure to warm up and stretch. Your knees will be grateful.
  4. Pack wisely: Avoid carrying too much gear. Ensure your bags, tripods/monopods fit securely, with no movement while riding.
  5. Energy conservation: Always save around 60% of your energy for the return trip.
  6. Relax and enjoy the ride: Lastly, remember to take it easy and enjoy the experience.
I hope you find these tips helpful in your journey to choosing the perfect mountain bike for wildlife photography.

Best wishes,

Oliver

Two local photographers use fat tire e-bikes to get to locations. More so because they don't own a car.
One of them packs around a 400/2.8 and 600/4 at the same time on his bike. One in a backpack, one in a bag attached to the bike.
It is certainly an option. But there are certain trails that don't allow bikes in general so they can't ride into those areas.
As an example this spring there was a GHO nest that in forested area close to hiking trails and the one guy had to walk his bike in. He was still harassed by all the Karens out there for having a bike in the park even though he did the legal thing and walked it in.

I am a wildlife photographer, but I cannot hike very far due to medical issues. I have been thinking and wondering if any of my fellow wildlife photographers have tried using one of those mountain bikes with big thick tires that has electric assist on them to travel to shoot wildlife rather than walking. I would most likely not be using it on rough trails.. just flat, fairly tame trails so I can go further in. I'd need to carry a Z9 with the 800pf on it somehow and make it easily accessible to stop and shoot with. I'm thinking some kind of harness to keep it on my body, because I think attaching it to the bike in someway would be way too rough on the rig. I'm very interested in hearing from people who do this or have tried iI would definitely use a backpack. Your inviting desaster
I would only use a backpack. Your inviting disaster carrying it any other way., Just my opinion for what it’s worth,

I use my E-cargo bike ( capable 400+ lb payload) quite often while wandering about looking for wildlife. I modified a cardboard box with lots of padding that fits into one side of the rear pannier. I usually haul around my 500 pf, but on occasion with a specific destination/subject in mind will take my 600 f4g and tripod. Mostly the access roads around my home, but was also blessed with coming across a grizzly bear on it while wandering a dirt road in the Bridger Teton National Forest. The funny thing about that was, I had my partner on the rear and as soon as I started going for my camera, she gave me a big hell no, stating this was not a park grizzly and we had better back up another 100 yards. If I am doing an extended ride on rougher roads, I sometimes bring my backpack to suspend the camera and lens from vibration.
95137632_3058105534247467_731866855349682176_n.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I’m on a Rad City 5+ electric bike daily and take my camera with attached 500 pf lens. It easily fits in the waterproof side pannier bag. I put a sack in the bottom of the bag comprised of bubble wrap and foam wrap to minimize movement . The second pannier is handy for a tripod and other lenses if needed. This bike is awesome for established trails and areas with bike lanes. We are fortunate to live in a place with many miles bike friendly trails and preserve areas with wildlife.

Fat tires with knobby tires is best if you plan on more outback dirt trails or off road ventures. Once you have an electric bike to assist with travels there is no going back to foot power!! 🤣

750 watt hub, 6 power assist levels, 7 speed, and hydraulic brakes! Approx 70 lbs. Standard size puncture resistant tires.
IMG_3013.jpeg

On a local trail.
N1P_1457-1 websize.jpeg

I've got one location I visit periodically that does not allow vehicles and has more than 10 miles of roads between wetland areas. A bike works quite well to cover the amount of ground needed - especially as temperatures rise. Last time I was there on a bike I had a 600mm f/4, D850, and 24-70 f/2.8 in a large backpack style lens on my back. My tripod and gimbal were strapped to the handlebars. I will say that it was a good bit of work and requires practice. Your center of gravity is very different with a backpack of any type.

Blutch…

More info needed: where are you (both country and region)?

… David
I like in Oklahoma City. Most of the lakes around here have bike trails around them. I might run into certain areas that don't allow bikes, but I don't know too many of those around here. I also do quite a bit of birding from my car on country roads. This thread has been extremely helpful. I would like to see images of your setup. I could definitely carry my Z9 and 800pf in a backpack on my back. It would be nice to have quicker access to it, but this might be a big compromise since I can't really walk that far. I do have a recumbent trike that is very comfy, but it doesn't have E-assist or off-road tires. It is very difficult to carry the camera and lens on - I have a cotton carrier for check wearing, but the 800pf is just too long for that to work while lying down on in the recumbent position. For this reason, I don't ride it much.
That said, if I could find a recumbent E-trike that is designed for trails - bigger nobby tires - I would definitely go that direction because of better balance and lower center of gravity, but I can't figure out a way to carry the camera and lens on one. Anyone use one of those?

I like in Oklahoma City. Most of the lakes around here have bike trails around them. I might run into certain areas that don't allow bikes, but I don't know too many of those around here. I also do quite a bit of birding from my car on country roads. This thread has been extremely helpful. I would like to see images of your setup. I could definitely carry my Z9 and 800pf in a backpack on my back. It would be nice to have quicker access to it, but this might be a big compromise since I can't really walk that far. I do have a recumbent trike that is very comfy, but it doesn't have E-assist or off-road tires. It is very difficult to carry the camera and lens on - I have a cotton carrier for check wearing, but the 800pf is just too long for that to work while lying down on in the recumbent position. For this reason, I don't ride it much.
That said, if I could find a recumbent E-trike that is designed for trails - bigger nobby tires - I would definitely go that direction because of better balance and lower center of gravity, but I can't figure out a way to carry the camera and lens on one. Anyone use one of those?
Okay I don't have an e-bike and have only "contemplated" taking my camera/lens on the bike to locations (tried it around my block with my "mountain bike") and decided I wouldn't want to have it on my body (ie. not in a cotton carrier or in a back-pack) while bicycling to areas (my stability/balance is not the greatest). So another option would be a child bicycle trailer? You could probably buy a used one and hook it to your bike and pull it on dirt paths etc (though not on a trail). Not the fastest access to your camera gear but would be able to put padding etc in the carrier. If you are comfortable carrying the Z9 and 800mm in a backpack while bicycling, that would be simpler (I wasn't).

Okay I don't have an e-bike and have only "contemplated" taking my camera/lens on the bike to locations (tried it around my block with my "mountain bike") and decided I wouldn't want to have it on my body (ie. not in a cotton carrier or in a back-pack) while bicycling to areas (my stability/balance is not the greatest). So another option would be a child bicycle trailer? You could probably buy a used one and hook it to your bike and pull it on dirt paths etc (though not on a trail). Not the fastest access to your camera gear but would be able to put padding etc in the carrier. If you are comfortable carrying the Z9 and 800mm in a backpack while bicycling, that would be simpler (I wasn't).
I don't have great balance even walking on uneven ground. I haven't ridden a 2-wheeled bicycle in a long time. Perhaps I should try that first. I wonder if I can rent one?

It is a good idea but the type of bike you get can weigh 50-70 lbs and so a special hitch mounted RV platform rack and possibly a motorbike ramp is needed to transport it. The only way I would transport the 800mm is with the Nikon case on my back, having had a second shoulder strap added, or using something like the Ruggard Alpine bag that is sold by B&H.

For stop and go shooting the 100-400mm with the 1.4x teleconverter would be a better choice with its smaller size and weight.

I would add a pannier rack and one side bag to hold supplies while exploring including a small first aid kit and tire repair kit and water.

The e-bikes sold by REI are worth considering. At 60 Nm their drivetrain will take you where you want to go and can greatly expand how far you can comfortably travel from your vehicle. Avoid bikes with tires smaller than 26 inches as the smaller wheels will make for rougher going if there are any depressions in the trail.

This review provides some helpful information regarding trail use an e-bike. Weight is not important for use but is a big factor in terms of the bike rack you can use and how much weight you need to be able to lift up to mount the bike. One of the Thule and Yakima racks have provision for a ramp which may help.

Hi Blutch. I have been using an ebike with medium sized tires for over a year. I generally shoot with a Z9, 500mm f/4e lens, and tc 1.4 with an adapter. I tried a backpack for a while, but in birding everything could happen too fast to park the bike, get off, pull everything out, including a monopod, set up and shoot. It was all too frustrating. I tried a Black Rapid Sport shoulder harness, which I sometimes use when walking distances, but the rig I described is too long for biking.
I then switched my lens to my 100-400 with tc and hung that on the harness. That worked much better. It gets in the way a little when mounting the bike, but is quick to engage. My birding buddy has a pannier, but that's the same problem as a backpack. For now I'm sticking to the 100-400. I'm going to need to reevaluate when (and if) my tc 600 ever shows up.

There is a bike rental with ebikes in Grand Teton NP, in the Dornans area. One should call ahead to reserve. Some nice paved bike trails.

I have run into a photographer a couple of times who rides a (not electric) bike and he rides with the camera and BIG (guessing it was a 400 2.8 or 600 f4) lens on his chest with a cotton carrier harness. Neither time I've spoken to him has the camera and lens been in the harness but as he did so and then rode off. He said, "I love it!" when I asked him if her liked the harness -- I gave my up a decade or two ago; found it annoying to get a D3 and 70-200 in and out of the thing, but he moved on before I could ask specifically about that -- it looked to me he had the gear hanging at a 90 angle to his spine ( horizontal vs vertical against his chest) I've asked Cotton Carrier a couple of times if they've thought of an Arca Swiss system; got no answer...

I have run into a photographer a couple of times who rides a (not electric) bike and he rides with the camera and BIG (guessing it was a 400 2.8 or 600 f4) lens on his chest with a cotton carrier harness. Neither time I've spoken to him has the camera and lens been in the harness but as he did so and then rode off. He said, "I love it!" when I asked him if her liked the harness -- I gave my up a decade or two ago; found it annoying to get a D3 and 70-200 in and out of the thing, but he moved on before I could ask specifically about that -- it looked to me he had the gear hanging at a 90 angle to his spine ( horizontal vs vertical against his chest) I've asked Cotton Carrier a couple of times if they've thought of an Arca Swiss system; got no answer...
I have one and used it on my recumbent trike with a 500pf attached. it was very difficult to get in and out while seated. It was just too long to work in that position. No way the 800pf would work. Standing up it would work.

Just returning home from a 3 week trip to Alaska with e-bikes and camera gear. I love it. Fat tire off road bike plus a backpack is some of the most fun ever. check out Volt Yukon - super affordable and been on easy and tough trails. Tons of options for very well built water proof bags and I have a ThinkTank pack that provides easy access for quick shots. This works super well for me.

Just returning home from a 3 week trip to Alaska with e-bikes and camera gear. I love it. Fat tire off road bike plus a backpack is some of the most fun ever. check out Volt Yukon - super affordable and been on easy and tough trails. Tons of options for very well built water proof bags and I have a ThinkTank pack that provides easy access for quick shots. This works super well for me.
Got any pics of the bikes and the gear you used to carry?

Back