E Mountain Bike for nature photography

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

CC0002BA-5CC6-4EC9-93B3-3D664BE24FB9.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Not my image but it’s the 36L mindshift model. I often stuffed the tripod in my saddle bags but on the right side of the bike and point to the back of the bike so that when I sling my leg over I didn’t catch it (learned the hard way lol)

For what it's worth, I ride (this past year I'd have to say "used to ride") motorcycles and personally I hate backpacks when riding. If you haven't done it, you'd be surprised how consistent weight on your shoulders while riding affects your upper back / lower neck / shoulders.

I do love backpacks for walking / hiking, for me it's just different when riding. I understand this will vary from person to person and even bag to bag, but for me there's nothing better than letting the bike carry the weight and there are many ways to do this.
consider purchasing a robust rear pannier, or use a backpack

I had been riding mountain bikes for years carrying camera gear in a packsack. In 2020 I purchased a Rad Rover 5 and for the first year I continued to carry my gear on my back but the growing quantity/weight was playing havoc with my shoulders. In 2021 I added a trailer to the back of the bike and just can't imagine doing without it. It was a game changer. Before the trailer I had to be very selective what gear/lenses/etc I would take along and often regretted my decision. The trailer, padded with Styrofoam, holds my camera(s), tri/mono pods, lunch while the extra lenses in a camera bag are carried in the bike carrier.

I only use the power assist option on the bike as opposed to full throttle to conserve battery power but I still end up covering twice the distances and get into places that would be too hard with my old "analog" bike.

I had been riding mountain bikes for years carrying camera gear in a packsack. In 2020 I purchased a Rad Rover 5 and for the first year I continued to carry my gear on my back but the growing quantity/weight was playing havoc with my shoulders. In 2021 I added a trailer to the back of the bike and just can't imagine doing without it. It was a game changer. Before the trailer I had to be very selective what gear/lenses/etc I would take along and often regretted my decision. The trailer, padded with Styrofoam, holds my camera(s), tri/mono pods, lunch while the extra lenses in a camera bag are carried in the bike carrier.

I only use the power assist option on the bike as opposed to full throttle to conserve battery power but I still end up covering twice the distances and get into places that would be too hard with my old "analog" bike.
I would LOVE to see a photo of this rig.

Awesome bike and cart! We have a similar cart that we use to load beach chairs, umbrellas, towels for the beach. The cart can be had for around 110 bucks on amazon. Works great! My wifes RAD had that front rack for awhile but we have since taken it off (heavy and blocks visibility down front too much). I like your suspension post and wide seat. Good upgrades.

I am a wildlife photographer, but I cannot hike very far due to medical issues. I have been thinking and wondering if any of my fellow wildlife photographers have tried using one of those mountain bikes with big thick tires that has electric assist on them to travel to shoot wildlife rather than walking. I would most likely not be using it on rough trails.. just flat, fairly tame trails so I can go further in. I'd need to carry a Z9 with the 800pf on it somehow and make it easily accessible to stop and shoot with. I'm thinking some kind of harness to keep it on my body, because I think attaching it to the bike in someway would be way too rough on the rig. I'm very interested in hearing from people who do this or have tried it.

Exploring ebikes photography can be a game-changer for wildlife enthusiasts like you. The convenience and potential for new perspectives are exciting. Best wishes on your creative journey

Back