Eagle - ON1 Photo Raw 2023

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

MalcolmP

Supporting Member
Marketplace
As Shot & Work in Progress. Transitioning from Photoshop to On1 Photo Raw 2023. Really liking ON1 so far. Appreciate all critiques and suggestions.
230207 Poudre Eagle DSC_1005-Resize.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
230207 Poudre Eagle DSC_1005 ORIGINAL-Resize.jpg

I like the edit much better than the original. However, it looks too flat and unnatural. I would edit it to something like this. The bad lighting in the original makes this a tricky photo to edit.

Note that this was a very quick attempt and I wasn’t too focused on sharpness/noise control, as well as the cloning of the sticks on the right. Simply for lighting and exposure/color purposes. Low resolution too(my edit)
18ED554F-E824-4585-B7EE-9091F852DC7F.jpeg

So I agree with the unnatural look. Is it the sky, the bird of the combination?
I first addressed Exposure & Contrast for the backlit bird. To my eye, the bird looks reasonably natural. Would you agree?
And then the sky. I first tried adjusting the sky as shot which was OK, not great.
Tried replacing the sky with adjustments for warmth and brightness. Seems to me that is what's introduced the unnatural lighting, color/exposure.
Thanks for your input. I'll try working more with the sky as shot.

So I agree with the unnatural look. Is it the sky, the bird of the combination?
I first addressed Exposure & Contrast for the backlit bird. To my eye, the bird looks reasonably natural. Would you agree?
And then the sky. I first tried adjusting the sky as shot which was OK, not great.
Tried replacing the sky with adjustments for warmth and brightness. Seems to me that is what's introduced the unnatural lighting, color/exposure.
Thanks for your input. I'll try working more with the sky as shot.
I think the bird is decent, but the color is too warm, and the shadows are lifted a little too much, making it appear unnatural. The sky has made a very odd “3D” effect that I cannot explain well. I’d like to see what result you get if you cool the temperature off a little(the bird), don’t adjust the sky to create clouds, and don’t lift the shadows as much.

Reworked with your suggestions in mind. Significant improvement to my eye. Appreciate your help and any thing else you might see on this one and another with trees in the background. Thanks again.
230207 Poudre Eagle DSC_1005-Resize.jpg
230207 Poudre Eagle DSC_1009 A-Resize.jpg

Reactions: JAS
In my opinion, it's not a keeper. The edits in many ways make it worse. I don't have (obviously) the original, but my guess is there is simply not enough details in the shadows and attempts to bring those non-existent details makes it appear over-processed and unnatural.

Thank you , both. I hope there are enough details in the shadows. I'll continue to try to refine my technique and see if I can't overcome the over-processed, unnatural look. You may be right, Mimi, but I'll try a little longer. This shot was taken at the same time 180 degrees apart so all was not lost. Appreciate any additional comments. Thanks again for your help.
230207 Poudre Eagle DSC_0986-Resize.jpg

Results from additional effort on a similar backlit shot from the same shoot. Thought this was worth a post in the Presentation Forum. Thanks again for your help.

230207 Poudre Eagle DSC_1034-Resize.jpg

Back