Eagles fighting

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Eagles fighting over fish. Kind of a long reach and a bit of a crop, but I was happy to get the behaviors.
Not sure how many talons you can count; there are actually 3 birds in the fight. I am not a fan of the ugly background, but that's what was there.
Eagle Fight.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Great photo. Agree background is unfortunate - could you lighten it in post-processing? Ideally I would have put the birds slightly lower in the frame so there is less foreground and more background (which is also slightly more blurry) - but obviously a heat of the moment shot. I see five talons - are there three birds? I guess there must be. A rapid burst might have yielded one or more shots where that was clearer, though it might not have been such a dramatic shot then. . I wonder if, as an alternate, you could crop to include less than the whole birds, maybe changing to a vertical crop, which might actually add to the drama and clarity

The photo is what it is - and it is an interesting photo, well for me it certainly is - but not in the Photographer of the year 1st prize category.
I like the action and the wing positions.
You might want to desaturate the colour in the background a bit to draw less attention to it - there are probably a couple of things one can do in post - but I would enjoy it just as is.

Thanks, Victor and Elsa. I might re-work the composition and the exposure / contrast a bit.
The head of the third eagle is just below the talon you see in the middle of the fight. The lower 2 talons belong to this "mostly hidden" bird.
Thanks again for the comments, and I'll try to get lower next time I am out there. This action normally is in mid-June when the fish come in to breed.
Lots of crowds these days. All the best.

Back