Early Winter Grand Teton National Park

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DRwyoming

Staff member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
Took a walk out to a popular spot overlooking Jackson Hole and the Tetons yesterday for this early winter view of the valley and the range. Snow's been coming and the ski resorts are opening up but it's still pretty sparse in the low lands.

Nikon D5, 24-120mm @55mm, f/8, 1/400", ISO 100
D51_5290--20201128-Websize.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Beautiful Dave.
Thanks Kathy.

Here's another image captured from a position a couple of hundred feet further back from the edge of the ridge. This place has been a very popular place for wedding portraits over the years to the point that it's known by locals as The Wedding Tree.

D5, 24-120mm @120mm f/7.1, 1/800", ISO 180
D51_5304untitled20201128-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Thanks Kathy.

Here's another image captured from a position a couple of hundred feet further back from the edge of the ridge. This place has been a very popular place for wedding portraits over the years to the point that it's known by locals as The Wedding Tree.

D5, 24-120mm @120mm f/7.1, 1/800", ISO 180
View attachment 10568
Wonderful framing, I really like that Dave. As always so well done! This one is really good. From the description, just a single shot? Great focus throughout. Wow.

Wonderful framing, I really like that Dave. As always so well done! This one is really good.
Thanks Bill!
From the description, just a single shot? Great focus throughout. Wow.
Just a single shot but a fairly wide lens (120mm) stopped down a bit and to get that perspective I was back at least 150 feet or more feet from the trees. I shot my first couple of images focused on the trees and then twisted the focus ring to focus a bit deeper into the frame for this shot. It wasn't strictly set up for hyperfocal distance but it's probably pretty close to that.

I guess it’s the DoF that we’re discussing. Needless to say, you and so many others here do such a good job of that. I really need to work on it for my myself. But honestly thank you so much for showing your work, but also for yout time to explain what you’ve done simply to help us all. I sincerely appreciate it. Just great work. So, so good. Thanks Bill

I guess it’s the DoF that we’re discussing. Needless to say, you and so many others here do such a good job of that. I really need to work on it for my myself
FWIW, one thing I recognized years ago but try to remember in shots like this is that DoF extends in front of and behind the focal plane. So for a shot like this with very little foreground in front of the trees it wastes DoF to focus on the trees. Focusing a bit deeper into the frame takes advantage of the DoF in front of and behind the focus plane. The trick with this shot was there was no mid ground object to auto focus on so I just swagged it with a twist of the focus ring but the idea was the same, make use of all the DoF.

I tuned into that back in the film days by making regular use of DoF preview for landscape images. Today I don't do that as often but have developed a feel for how much to stop down. I could have made it a bit easier by stopping down to maybe f/9 or f/10 but f7.1 seemed pretty close as long as I focused past the trees and it worked out all right.

Beautiful photo Dave and I recognized the location. I have photographed the Tetons from that location a few times, less crowded, and a very serene place to take in the beauty of the Gros Ventres Valley as well.

FWIW, one thing I recognized years ago but try to remember in shots like this is that DoF extends in front of and behind the focal plane. So for a shot like this with very little foreground in front of the trees it wastes DoF to focus on the trees. Focusing a bit deeper into the frame takes advantage of the DoF in front of and behind the focus plane. The trick with this shot was there was no mid ground object to auto focus on so I just swagged it with a twist of the focus ring but the idea was the same, make use of all the DoF.

I tuned into that back in the film days by making regular use of DoF preview for landscape images. Today I don't do that as often but have developed a feel for how much to stop down. I could have made it a bit easier by stopping down to maybe f/9 or f/10 but f7.1 seemed pretty close as long as I focused past the trees and it worked out all right.
DOF extends! One of the 100's of "Wow" moments I learned from Steve's three books I have. I am 73 years old, wish I had the info I have learned the last four months from Steve's books and from many of you on this forum, when I was first introduced to digital about 20 years ago!

Back