Eruption of Mauna Loa

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

jadewolf

Mauna Loa, the largest volcano on earth, is erupting for the first time in 38 years. I've been waiting my whole life for this volcano to strut her stuff, to be honest. I grew up fascinated with Hawaii's volcanoes and that love never left me. So after two days of indecision, where I hemmed and hawed about the money, I finally just decided to just drop everything, pull out the credit cards, and fly out to see it for myself.

And here's a few of the photos...

DSC_0774c_bcg.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

The eruption at sunset on Dec 1st. I shot this photo from a ways up the slopes of neighboring Mauna Kea. You could see the whole flow from here, from the gas plume rising at Fissure 3 all the way down to the leading edge of the flow, about 2-3 miles from Saddle Road. Near to Fissure 3, the slope of Mauna Loa is steep and the lava flows in fast moving channels, glowing red hot. As it reaches the flatter, gentler slopes near the saddle, it begins to slow. A dark crust of cooler lava forms over the top. At the leading edge, it begins to pile up and spread out. Most of the top of the flow is cool and black, but along the edges you can see the red glow as fresh lava breaks out and creeps ever closer to the road.

DSC_1208c_bcg.jpg

In the evening, heavy clouds and fog would often roll in and block all but a diffused bright red glow behind them. Times like this, I hurried back to my airbnb to catch a few hours of sleep. Then I got back up at around 3am and drove back out. The tradewinds at night would sweep most of the fog away and leave absolutely stunning conditions like this. I took this shot around 4am or so, again from up the slopes of Mauna Kea.

From nearly all across the island, even far from the eruption, you could see the red glow in the sky. It was surreal to see it glowing on the horizon, a strong reminder of the powerful forces simmering beneath your feet.

And after a couple days of shooting from ground level, I decided to do something I'd never done before and book a helicopter tour to fly over. It was a bit touch and go, as my first attempt got scrubbed due to bad weather on the summit. But I was fortunate to be able to reschedule for early the next morning. The downside, however, was that unlike my initial booking, the reschedule was doors-on instead of doors-off. Obviously that was less than ideal for photography, but as it turned out I ended up getting to sit in the copilot seat up front. And the pilot was wonderful. He let me open the small window up front and shoot through that. He also worked with me, keeping an eye on my screen and helping keep me lined up for the best shots. Absolutely superb pilot, very well versed in working with photographers. I tipped him very well, needless to say.

And these were (some of) the end results...

DSC_2221b_bcg.jpg

DSC_2567c_bcg.jpg

DSC_2774c_bcg_2.jpg

And so many more, but alas I am constrained by the five image limit.

For a sense of scale, the lava fountains from Fissure 3 on Sunday were reaching sustained heights of about 140' and bursts (like the one you see in the second shot) of 230' or more. The splatter cone building around the fissure is about 150' tall. The lava flows themselves run for about 9 miles down the slope and we regularly saw boulders the size of pickup trucks floating along down the faster moving channels, where lava is more fluid and red hot.

For me, it was my first experience even flying in a helicopter, much less shooting from one. I opted for my 70-200mm f/2.8 on my Z9 with a 1.4TC. I really wished I'd brought a short zoom, but I wasn't anticipating this particular scenario when I hastily packed a stripped down kit for the trip. So, I put my 20mm f/1.8 on my D850 as backup. Turned out that was a bit TOO wide and would almost invariably catch the rotors in the shot, so I opted to just work with the 70-200 primarily. I had considered taking the 500mm, but I was concerned about it actually being too long and would lack the flexibility of a zoom. In retrospect, lacking a short zoom, I probably would have ditched the 20mm and taken the 500mm for some real close shots of the fountains. But honestly, the 70-200mm did just fine. And the Z9 left me plenty of wiggle room to crop in a little bit in post to really emphasize it. So I think it worked out pretty well.

I already had an upcoming trip booked for March of next year, to get more endemic bird photos, but if the eruption is still going on then (an uncertain thing, as Mauna Loa's eruptions can be highly variable in duration), I think I'll definitely book another trip out with that helicopter tour company to do this again.

I gotta say. This was easily one of the most impulsive things I've ever done, but just as easily was one of best experiences I've had in my entire life. Fulfilled lifelong dreams of seeing an eruption like this up close. I would do it again in a heartbeat. No regrets.

Awesome set of photos and sounds like a great experience. I'd love to do it too.

... I gotta say. This was easily one of the most impulsive things I've ever done, but just as easily was one of best experiences I've had in my entire life. Fulfilled lifelong dreams of seeing an eruption like this up close. I would do it again in a heartbeat. No regrets.
That pretty well sums it up. If you feel that way you'll never regret it. Well done.

Awesome set of photos and sounds like a great experience. I'd love to do it too.

That pretty well sums it up. If you feel that way you'll never regret it. Well done.
Thank you!! It was such a whirlwind of a trip. I got very little sleep and barely paused to eat, but it was worth it. If you get the chance, I'd say go! These eruptions can last months... or just a few weeks. And I figured with 38 years since the last one, I probably won't be around for the next one, ha. Got to strike while the.. uh.. lava... is hot! 😄

Absolutely great work and glad you are safe. I've shot the crater in the National Park at night when it was active, but this is a whole other level. Hope you found time for some rest.

--Ken

Absolutely great work and glad you are safe. I've shot the crater in the National Park at night when it was active, but this is a whole other level. Hope you found time for some rest.

--Ken
Thank you! Finally got a full night's sleep last night. It was all worth the lack of sleep, though!

And yeah, I shot the Halema'uma'u crater at Kilauea last year shortly after it woke back up in 2021, and then again this year. And while there was a small spatter cone in Halema'uma'u 2021, it was nothing like this. This was... an incredibly moving experience. Never seen anything like it!

Absolutely stunning shots. Glad you decided to do this and share this with us.
Thank you very much!

Stunning images…all good, but that first and second image….wow.
Thanks! I really tried to capture the grandeur and the sheer massive scale of the eruption. Largest volcano on earth and she absolutely dominated the sky at night!

Nice series
Thank you!

Wow! Well done! You got a fantastic set of photos and you’ll always have this fabulous experience to refer to. Congratulations!
Have you considered putting your images on VERO?

edit update…never mind, I just saw you have your own..https://jadewolfphotography.com/
Thanks! And yup, I've got a Vero too ( https://vero.co/jadewolf ). I need to get on there and update things, though. Started it up a little while back based on hearing about it here, but nearly forgot about having it and it's a little out of date now! I appreciate the reminder!

STUNNING! So glad you didn't miss this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! Images are Nat Geo worthy!!!!! Don't be surprised if they are interested..... Write up your experience, add some images, and see what they say!

Great shot. Hard to tell the scale - were you at a high vantage point or just standing close to the fresh lava?

--Ken
Daytime shots were all taken from a helicopter, at about 1500' above the flows (the minimum allowed by the FAA's special restrictions right now). It's hard to get a full sense of scale, but I'd estimate the thinner lava channels were probably 50-100' across. And I'm making that guess based on how wide they appeared in comparison to a two-lane access road that was engulfed by the flows. The wider areas where it spreads out might be far more. We would see boulders (called 'lava boats') the size of pickup trucks floating down the swift flowing channels.

The lava fountains themselves were around 140' sustained, with bursts up over 230' or so. And the splatter cone surrounding the fissure vent hovers around 130-150' tall (sometimes it builds up, sometimes it collapses).

The size and scale of the eruption was just... very humbling.

Those are special!

Thank you! 😄

STUNNING! So glad you didn't miss this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! Images are Nat Geo worthy!!!!! Don't be surprised if they are interested..... Write up your experience, add some images, and see what they say!

Wow, thank you!! That's a heckuva compliment! As a kid, I remember seeing photos like this from the Kraffts and JD Griggs and other volcano photographers in NatGeo and wishing someday I would be able to go do the same thing. Getting to do this was really living one of my earliest dreams! I'm betting they probably already have someone assigned to it, but just having my photos thought worthy makes me smile!

Daytime shots were all taken from a helicopter, at about 1500' above the flows (the minimum allowed by the FAA's special restrictions right now).
That was what I thought as we went over an active field in a helicopter about 7 years ago or so. But your shot looks so much closer than what I was able to shoot, so I was not certain. Nice work.

--Ken

Remarkable and stunning captures! Thanks for sharing your experiences in this probably once-in-lifetime event for most of us. It shows that it is worthful to chase your dreams and be able to grab this opportunity!

Fantastic images! You made a great choice by hiring the helicopter, you got some remarkable shots. Truly could be a once in a lifetime chance. I’m scheduled to be on the island early next year, but it’s looking very likely that the show may be over by then.

That was what I thought as we went over an active field in a helicopter about 7 years ago or so. But your shot looks so much closer than what I was able to shoot, so I was not certain. Nice work.

--Ken
Our pilot was really good, I gotta say. I think that made a huge difference. He was great about getting good angles while staying within the FAA limits. Plus, we had just perfect conditions. Someone else I talked to went a few days later and didn't get nearly as good a view. I just got real lucky, I think!

Very cool series! Thank you for sharing them. Would love to see it first-hand someday!
Thank you! It really was incredible to see up close. I'd be keeping an eye on Iceland next. They tend to have similarly accessible eruptions, so perhaps another opportunity to see lava in action!

very impressive!
Thank you!

Remarkable and stunning captures! Thanks for sharing your experiences in this probably once-in-lifetime event for most of us. It shows that it is worthful to chase your dreams and be able to grab this opportunity!
Thank you! And absolutely! I'm so glad this eruption started when I was in a position where I could actually make a trip happen. Ten or twenty years ago, I'd never have been able to afford it. The timing on this was really just perfect.

Fantastic images! You made a great choice by hiring the helicopter, you got some remarkable shots. Truly could be a once in a lifetime chance. I’m scheduled to be on the island early next year, but it’s looking very likely that the show may be over by then.
Thank you! And yeah, looks like it's winding down now. Lava fountains have stopped, lava channels are all empty, and gas emissions are way down. The main flow has stopped and is settling (thankfully not cutting Saddle Road!) Fissure 3 is reduced to just a small lava pond inside the vent right now. USGS expects that it's likely in the end stages now.

It seems to fit with the historical patterns of Mauna Loa, too. Most previous eruptions generally lasted 2-3 weeks and today makes 2 weeks exact. I am SO glad I dropped everything and flew out. And very glad I splurged for the helicopter. It was an incredible experience and I'll never forget it!

Back