Eruption of Mauna Loa

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Exquisite shots and a good decision to take the trip. Friends with family on the island tell me things are slowing down now. We plan to go in April and who knows what will be happening then. Again, great shots and a trip well spent!

Exquisite shots and a good decision to take the trip. Friends with family on the island tell me things are slowing down now. We plan to go in April and who knows what will be happening then. Again, great shots and a trip well spent!
Thank you!!

And yup, not only has the Mauna Loa eruption wound down, but Kīlauea has taken a pause as well. I heard one local geologist on a podcast mention that it might be that the emptied magma chamber beneath Mauna Loa relieved some of the pressure on Kīlauea, which might cause a temporary pause in eruptive activity. We'll have to see what happens next! I, for one, am definitely watching excitedly. And I'll be back in March, too, to look for endemic birds again, so it ought to be interesting to see what Pele is up to by then!

Thanks for sharing, not only the pictures but the story as well 👏

I visited the Erta Ale volcano (Ethiopia) about 10 years ago (see here).
It's more or less permanently active.
But this is only one crater, not the magnitude of what you've seen.
And the conditions for taking pictures were not that good.

Thanks for sharing, not only the pictures but the story as well 👏

I visited the Erta Ale volcano (Ethiopia) about 10 years ago (see here).
It's more or less permanently active.
But this is only one crater, not the magnitude of what you've seen.
And the conditions for taking pictures were not that good.
Thank you!

And wow! Those are some lovely shots of Erta Ale! You got really close, it seems like. And on foot! That must have been amazing.

I really like where you can see the cooler lava crust pulling apart in the lake, with bright glowing lava peeking out. And that one shot with the interesting textures along the crater, too. Looks like popped bubbles in clay! Very cool.

Volcanoes are so amazing! I'd love to see that one someday. :D

Back