Essential Tripod Tips For Wildlife Photographers

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

When I was much younger and had attended a seminar by John Shaw and Larry West I learned to never shoot without a tripod. And I followed that advice for many, many years. Then along came VR and IBIS and it all became less necessary. However, the weight of the camera and lens can become a burden and therefor I looked for something to help my tiring arms. Steve to the rescue! I found his video on using a monopod and Wimberly monopod head. Now I can stand or sit for long, long periods with the camera trained on my potential subject without giving up due to fatigue. The added bonus is Steve's hint on carrying the monopod/camera combo over your shoulder with much less pain. Keep that in mind if you forego the tripod but get tired arms and shoulders.

Are you making critical mistakes with your tripod that are costing you shots? Many people are (I see it all the time) and what’s worse is that they don’t even know it!

In this rapid-fire video, we’ll go over all the field-tested tips and techniques you need for a better wildlife photography tripod experience! It’s the best eight minutes you’ll spend all day! Plus, this is about more than just getting better shots – this video may prevent an equipment catastrophe too (the last tip can save your gear from destruction)!

Items in this video:

Tripod: Really Right Stuff Versa Tripod TVC-34L MK2

Head: Wimberley WH-200 W/ Really Right Stuff Cradle Clamp Quick Release

Shoulder Pad: Various companies make them, on Amazon or B&H, just search Tripod Shoulder Pad (Note that these have really gone up in price since I purchased mine)

Sleeves: OP/Tech USA Celar Tripod Sleeves
Its really amusing to see people using long lenses on ballheads - they need this kind of help...🦘

Back