Explain the price difference - CFe Type B cards

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

These are obviously manual tests by people firing off shots in their cameras, so I do expect some variability. The Photographylife test even mentioned that they did the tests five times in an attempt to minimize the variability. What it does show is that multiple tests tend to have similar rankings of the cards and it also shows that neither the Z8 or Z9 are anywhere close to capable of using the max speed of the cards. Also, cards of different sizes tend to operate faster as the size increases, this may be due to the fact that cards tend to slow down once they fill up.

Bythom mentions that Delkin Black is the coolest card and that Prograde is in the same league and Angelbird not far behind.

Do you know of any tests that gauge temperature performance? Frankly, it's not an issue for me, I don't shoot that many bursts or much video.

Yes the SSD reviews could use some updating. For those who are interested, the new, lesser expensive Prograde V4 cards will function fine in the Z8 for typical video applications in all currently available formats including N-Raw 8k60p and 4k120p. I haven’t formally tested the card to see when a temperature warning appears and I suspect it would be highly situational. Currently, in my neck of the woods, it’s around 20-40 deg F and the longest single continuous recording I’ve done has been around 15” without a warning. If one can land a v4 reader and has a recent motherboard with a USB 4.0 port, the transfer speeds will be much faster and purportedly v2 cards upload faster as well.

Yes the SSD reviews could use some updating. For those who are interested, the new, lesser expensive Prograde V4 cards will function fine in the Z8 for typical video applications in all currently available formats including N-log 8k60p and 4k120p. I haven’t formally tested the card to see when a temperature warning appears and I suspect it would be highly situational. Currently, in my neck of the woods, it’s around 20-40 deg F and the longest single continuous recording I’ve done has been around 15” without a warning. If one can land a v4 reader and has a recent motherboard with a USB 4.0 port, the transfer speeds will be much faster and purportedly v2 cards upload faster as well.
ProGrade V4 reader is $99........

Location of manufacture is not, in and of itself, a determining factor of quality. It may be a preference and depending upon the manufacturer's quality requirements, could be a factor, just the location is not.
I don’t know about that. Maybe you are right, but at the same time I trust more stuff that are made in USA because there is more regulations and control over qualities than in some countries. Even here in Canada, we don’t have the same control and sometimes I buy things that does not work well and it is so hard to be reimburse or even get good service. I am talking here about some bad experiences with Canadian compagnies, product and store.
Lina

I don’t know about that. Maybe you are right, but at the same time I trust more stuff that are made in USA because there is more regulations and control over qualities than in some countries. Even here in Canada, we don’t have the same control and sometimes I buy things that does not work well and it is so hard to be reimburse or even get good service. I am talking here about some bad experiences with Canadian compagnies, product and store.
Lina
You are mixing two different things. Government regulations and manufacturing practices. Sometimes there is some overlap in terms of government regulations setting mandatory minimum practices, but ultimately, it comes down to the company and what it requires of its own manufacturing and its partners. Look at Apple. Made in Chine by Foxconn, Pegatron and others with parts sourced from all over the world, and yet it manufactures highly complex products with some of the tightest manufacturing tolerances by anyone. This comes up with Nikon too with people saying they don't want to buy anything made by Nikon in Taiwan as opposed to Japan because they think Japan must be better. That is not necessarily true. If Nikon provides the same level of training, manufacturing equipment, supervision and quality control, it does not matter what country the product is manufactured in. Where companies get into trouble, is when they go to a country with cheaper labor to save money and then save even more money by failing to provide and require the same level of training, manufacturing equipment, supervision and quality control they do somewhere else.

Back