Extension tubes advice (nikon z mount)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

lwan

Hello there,
I just bought a used 24-70 F4 S for general purpose shots and was quite surprised by its sharpness and its quite close MFD.
I'm now interested in buying extension tubes to use it as a macro lens but wondered if there was a concensus on a brand that's better or ones to avoid. I'm particularly interested in keeping good AF performance (Z6 and Z9 whenever it finally ships).
Thank you in advance for any feedback.

There's also the Meike MK-Z-AF1 from B&H or Amazon for $39. I picked some up about a year ago and had no issues when experimenting with them - not premium quality but nothing to avoid either. There are plenty of favorable reviews for them across the interwebs.

I have the Meike also. I've tried them a little and they seem OK. None of the 3rd party tubes are going to be made like Nikon or Canon might make them. I used Kenko tubes on DSLR's, and I think they have a Z mount tube, also.

Last edited:
I am a bit surprised that Nikon has not made extension tubes for the Z cameras. Of course, if they did the price would be significantly higher than competitors so there may not be any market for them. Of course if you had a problem with a 3rd party extension tube, Nikon could always, "see if you had genuine Nikon tube .."

I am a bit surprised that Nikon has not made extension tubes for the Z cameras. Of course, if they did the price would be significantly higher than competitors so there may not be any market for them. Of course if you had a problem with a 3rd party extension tube, Nikon could always, "see if you had genuine Nikon tube .."
Maybe they consider you buying a dedicated macro lens is better :)

Back