External Monitor for better video recording

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Activert

Supporting Member
Marketplace
We are lucky to have amazing videographers in this forum. By reading some of the video threads posted, I found, that BCG forum is the best place to get the best advice.
I want to improve my Videography. I consider myself a beginner in that area. I know how to set my camera and shoot, but I want to be able to shoot videos let say close to a pro.
Some videographers on YouTube suggests that the use of external monitors for setting and recording videos will help for better recording. They are talking about using Ninja 5 , or 5.2 monitor fo better adjustment of the setting of the camera ( dynamic range, highlight, exposition….). I know that some YouTuber are sponsored to promote some products. Before I starts to shop for an external monitor, I want to know, if it is necessary to have it to improve our videos. Also, those of you who use external monitor, what brand do you use? I will be shooting a lot of videos of birds in the coming months and I really want to learn and improve my work. Thanks for your feedback.
Lina

We are lucky to have amazing videographers in this forum. By reading some of the video threads posted, I found, that BCG forum is the best place to get the best advice.
I want to improve my Videography. I consider myself a beginner in that area. I know how to set my camera and shoot, but I want to be able to shoot videos let say close to a pro.
Some videographers on YouTube suggests that the use of external monitors for setting and recording videos will help for better recording. They are talking about using Ninja 5 , or 5.2 monitor fo better adjustment of the setting of the camera ( dynamic range, highlight, exposition….). I know that some YouTuber are sponsored to promote some products. Before I starts to shop for an external monitor, I want to know, if it is necessary to have it to improve our videos. Also, those of you who use external monitor, what brand do you use? I will be shooting a lot of videos of birds in the coming months and I really want to learn and improve my work. Thanks for your feedback.
Lina
It will change everything for you. It's the one addition that would improve your video by an order of magnitude. I can list everything it does, but it's a really long list.

It adds significant weight (monitor, battery, 2 more batteries, camera cage, cables, etc) and inhibits mobility.

As far as what to buy, first decision is whether you need the recorder feature. Our cameras record internal 8k, so it's not a clear-cut decision. If the answer is "yes," the Atomos Ninja V+ is a great choice.

If you can live without the recorder, Atomos Shinobi or any of the SmallHD monitors. Consider the 7" version too.

Monitor brightness is the most important factor to consider. The must-have features are fast refresh; ability to display false color, vector and graphs; in and out full-size HDMI; ability to display user LUTs; battery life; weather resistance. Resolution too, especially if you are planning to use cine lenses (manual focus) in the future. If you think about using anamorphic lenses in the future, look for that feature too.

There are also $100 monitors, but I've never used them, so can't comment on brightness and features and I don't trust reviews.

In the field I use an Atomos Ninja V+ with my Nikon and Sony cameras. Caged, external power using a SmallRig 99 v-mount battery (meaning fully rigged), AtomX media. In the studio I use a 13" SmallHD Cine 4k production monitor.

Email me if you need more info.

It will change everything for you. It's the one addition that would improve your video by an order of magnitude. I can list everything it does, but it's a really long list.

It adds significant weight (monitor, battery, 2 more batteries, camera cage, cables, etc) and inhibits mobility.

As far as what to buy, first decision is whether you need the recorder feature. Our cameras record internal 8k, so it's not a clear-cut decision. If the answer is "yes," the Atomos Ninja V+ is a great choice.

If you can live without the recorder, Atomos Shinobi or any of the SmallHD monitors. Consider the 7" version too.

Monitor brightness is the most important factor to consider. The must-have features are fast refresh; ability to display false color, vector and graphs; in and out full-size HDMI; ability to display user LUTs; battery life; weather resistance. Resolution too, especially if you are planning to use cine lenses (manual focus) in the future. If you think about using anamorphic lenses in the future, look for that feature too.

There are also $100 monitors, but I've never used them, so can't comment on brightness and features and I don't trust reviews.

In the field I use an Atomos Ninja V+ with my Nikon and Sony cameras. Caged, external power using a SmallRig 99 v-mount battery (meaning fully rigged), AtomX media. In the studio I use a 13" SmallHD Cine 4k production monitor.

Email me if you need more info.
Thanks Nimi. I did not know that there are a lot of things to add and more weight . I will email you tomorrow after I look at all what you mentioned above. Thank you

Lina

With a Nikon camera it is best to use an external monitor. If you have a Canon camera you can use the Atomos recorders for up to 8k as Canon has worked closely with Atomos.

The Andycine touchscreen monitors have a well established track record. They are powered by the standard L-mount batteries.

Not sure which camera you are using, but I find the Waveform monitor on my Nikon sufficient and haven't seen the need for an external monitor. I would expect Canon and Sony to have similiar or better scopes available in camera.

Thank you! I use also Nikon, the Z8and Z
Not sure which camera you are using, but I find the Waveform monitor on my Nikon sufficient and haven't seen the need for an external monitor. I would expect Canon and Sony to have similiar or better scopes available in camera.
Thank you! I also use Nikon, the Z8 and the Z9

Back