External video monitor

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Thanks -- that's not the first time I've heard that. I've been looking for a cage for my Z9 -- think I'll go with Tilta.
I ended up building one with parts from Wooden Camera. Unfortunately no one supports the z9, video-wise. The Tilta is fine, I'm just spoiled by RRS.

I have the Shinobi 7 and it is fantastic on my Sony a1. Not cheap at $700 but the screen is wonderful! I had a different (cheaper) unit that was 5"" and it was worthless.
Have you had good luck connecting to the A1? I’m assuming you just plug and play? Also are you using any type of cage on the body or using it in the hotshoe?

Great thread! So my hot shoe is busy with a Sony mic but if I wanted an external monitor I am guessing I would need to add a cage to the body? If so what option mounts and monitors work with that set up that would still allow my Sony mic to be attached to the hot shoe?

Great thread! So my hot shoe is busy with a Sony mic but if I wanted an external monitor I am guessing I would need to add a cage to the body? If so what option mounts and monitors work with that set up that would still allow my Sony mic to be attached to the hot shoe?
You can just use an L bracket because most have several 1/4 inch screw locations.

I just bought that Sony mic and tried it out today. That little thing is wonderful and no wires. The sound is extremely good

If the Sony mic can be used off the camera shoe a cage is not necessarily needed - there are other options.

I wanted to be able to mount both a 5 in monitor and a shoe-mount mic without a cage. So I chose a shoe-mount top handle. It has 5 cold shoe mounting slots so there are choices where to mount a monitor, shot-gun mic. Can even add a small flat panel LED video light on the handle if needed along with monitor and mic. A versatile handle - I was even able to rig it with the monitor in vertical position along with the mic on the handle for shooting vertical format video using a generic "L" bracket on my A7iv.

The handle is a Small Rig 3764 Top Handle. It can be mounted with handle reversed for mounting flexibility:
https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-top-handle-with-cold-shoe-lite-3764.html

If the Sony mic can be used off the camera shoe a cage is not necessarily needed - there are other options.

I wanted to be able to mount both a 5 in monitor and a shoe-mount mic without a cage. So I chose a shoe-mount top handle. It has 5 cold shoe mounting slots so there are choices where to mount a monitor, shot-gun mic. Can even add a small flat panel LED video light on the handle if needed along with monitor and mic. A versatile handle - I was even able to rig it with the monitor in vertical position along with the mic on the handle for shooting vertical format video using a generic "L" bracket on my A7iv.

The handle is a Small Rig 3764 Top Handle. It can be mounted with handle reversed for mounting flexibility:
https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-top-handle-with-cold-shoe-lite-3764.html
I think the Sony has a smart shoe and the mic feeds through it.

So I decided to order one from Amazon but decided not to spend a lot on one until I try it out and see if it’s something I’m going to use. I bought the feel world F6 plus which is a 5 1/2 inch monitor plus had to get the external batteries as well, I did a weight check on it and it is 2 ounces less then I speed light even with the battery installed so I think it will be fine for my use on the hot shoe. I hope to try it out later today but from what I’m seeing so far, it seems like it will be really useful.
58DB3B9B-0451-45EF-B088-5D82D9D90B56.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
E4A74512-39C7-4FA3-9659-911D75FA4D43.jpeg

So I decided to order one from Amazon but decided not to spend a lot on one until I try it out and see if it’s something I’m going to use. I bought the feel world F6 plus which is a 5 1/2 inch monitor plus had to get the external batteries as well, I did a weight check on it and it is 2 ounces less then I speed light even with the battery installed so I think it will be fine for my use on the hot shoe. I hope to try it out later today but from what I’m seeing so far, it seems like it will be really useful.
Keep us posted on how it works for you.
What is the screen brightness?

Keep us posted on how it works for you.
What is the screen brightness?
It’s only 500nit but just walking outside with it now in full sun conditions it’s a night and day difference than the camera LCD. If I continue to use it I might upgrade down the road but for now this one seems really nice. I have about $250 in it with the batteries because the monitor was on sale thru Amazon.

It’s only 500nit but just walking outside with it now in full sun conditions it’s a night and day difference than the camera LCD. If I continue to use it I might upgrade down the road but for now this one seems really nice. I have about $250 in it with the batteries because the monitor was on sale thru Amazon.
Steven, you might consider getting a shade for the monitor. For my age & eyes, I find the shade immensely helpful. Also, it's my personal preference, I would put a matte screen cover to reduce the flare.

Oliver

Steven, you might consider getting a shade for the monitor. For my age & eyes, I find the shade immensely helpful. Also, it's my personal preference, I would put a matte screen cover to reduce the flare.

Oliver
It actually came with a small shade. I just didn’t have it on there and the photos but it does look handy.

It looks nice. So if I wanted to keep my Sony mic that has to be in the hot shoe how would I use a monitor like that?
Not with this setup. Your mic needs the multi-interface shoe, now occupied by the monitor bracket. As @sh1209 said, you need a cold shoe or a threaded hole somewhere.

It obviously can be adjusted much lower but it can facilitate the use of the Sony mic.
7E020198-3A48-4F7F-816A-D624B7333C11.jpeg

The Atomos Ninja V plus has come down in price and now sells for $599. It weighs only 6 ounces more than the shinobi 5" 4K monitor and a lot less than the Shinobi 7" monoitor that costs as much as the Ninja V+. The 5" Shinobi tops out at 4K/30p so for monitoring 4K/60p one needs either the 7" Shinobi or the Ninja V+ or the Shogun Connect (or the discontinued Shogun Inferno recorder).

Although the Ninja V+ can do 8K/30p it is only with the Canon R5 C and one Fuji camera. For Sony and Nikon cameras the best one gets is 4K/60p with the Ninja V+.

With the Atomos recorders there is quite a bit of fan noise fo not great for use with a camera mounted microphone and so better to rely on the internal recording of the camera.

Last edited:
For a monitor only solution the Andycine monitors are lightweight and very bright. Their C6 6" monitor has a brightness level of 2600 cd/m² and is powered by a single L-series battery which helps keep the weight down. It too comes with a bracket to mount it on a cold shoe.

I mount mine primarily to the top of a Tilta cage for the Z9 which has a cold shoe slot. I have had problems in the past with a speedlight loosening the hot shoe mount enough to need to send the camera in for repair so I am reluctant to use it mounted directly on the Z9's hot shoe.

Back