Fast Raw Viewer Beta has HE* support

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BarkingBeans Coffee

Michael H
Supporting Member
Marketplace
I got an email from them today:

Followup message: Nikon HE/HE* support is implemented in FastRawViewer 2.0.9-Beta: https://www.fastrawviewer.com/blog/FastRawViewer-2-0-9-Beta

I have not tried it yet; but knowing them it should work well.

In terms of workflow, with LR please read the instructions on page 55 of the 2.0 manual.

I probably won't go back to HE* though since I need Apple Finder to see the files thumbnails too.

Last edited:

Followup message: Nikon HE/HE* support is implemented in FastRawViewer 2.0.9-Beta: https://www.fastrawviewer.com/blog/FastRawViewer-2-0-9-Beta

I have not tried it yet; but knowing them it should work well.

In terms of workflow, with LR please read the instructions on page 55 of the 2.0 manual.

I probably won't go back to HE* though since I need Apple Finder to see the files thumbnails too.
Thx BBC - Excellent news - I (and others I think) asked for this feature soon after the Z9 came out. I immediately stopped using HE* when I realized that FRV didn't handle it, and their response was "never, probably"

I wonder if this has anything to do with the RED acquisition since there appears to be some conflict between TicoRAW (who dev'd the algo nikon is using for HE/HE*), and RED compression algo.

In any case, great news that I can go back to experimenting with HE* after >2 yrs. I might use it when wanting unrestricted 20fps bursts, or knowing that I will be shooting at higher ISO's - or both!

Cheers!

...Dave...

I have not tried it yet; but knowing them it should work well..

Thanks for the headsup. I really wanted this since getting the Z8. Jpg fine is aBout the same filesize as HE*, so there is almost no reason to shoot jpg

Just a heads up, as noted, this is Beta software and a number of things don't work as expected, though it does read and display the HE files now. Some of the tools and UI features are missing or don't work as they once did, at least on Win11. Most of my keyboard customizations seem to work as they should, though one in particular is aggravating...I've reprogrammed the R key to move files to the Global Reject Directory that I've set up and every time I use it, a window pops up telling me the move was successful. Disabling that confirmation in Preferences has no effect now. Also no "Contrast" adjustment control in the bottom bar now, though I have it checked in the bar options. Sure I'll find other things as I use it more...or they get out of Beta.

I havebeen using FRVfor many years and us it whenever I have large numbers if images. It is a fantastic product you can purchase outright and receive updates. Support is very fast by email. Since I started using it, they rolled out one big new version, which I had no issues purchasing. I have no hesitation whatsoever, recommending FRV to cull large numbers of images quickly and easily. I hope the are working on an AI version, which I will be happy to buy.

Back