Fast shutter blur and artefacts. Help please! Answered so Renamed to Rolling Shutter Effect

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

First post so be gentle with me!
I have a problem that I don't know how to describe or name so have been unable to find help anywhere, and couldn't see an answer in Steve's BIF book.

When shooting at high shutter speed (1/2000 to 1/8000) I am getting bits of bird wing in weird places. Many people get stunning shots of humming birds perfectly frozen, and these birds flap much more slowly, so I know it should be possible to get a clean shot. Sometimes it is (almost) artistic, but I would like to know how to prevent and possibly control this effect.

I have attached a few of the best (or should that be worst?).

I have focussed at a spot on a regular flight path to a feeding station, with the light behind me. . Just waiting for the lucky coincidence of in focus, in frame, with pleasing pose and composition. It’s amazing how often small flying birds have their wings folded! ... and yes, I know I need to work on exposure!

1. First is 1/2000 no exposure bias, the second is 1/4000 +2.0 (or too much:eek:)
  2. f2.8
  3. Auto ISO
  4. Tripod
  5. Live View
  6. Wireless Remote release,
  7. Silent shutter, Burst mode Continuous High (approx 7 FPS)
  8. Electronic Front Curtain Shutter disabled
  9. Vibration Reduction Off
850_9899.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

850_0559.jpg

Similar problem from 2022. D850, Sigma 150-600, 1/8000, f8. not sure about the other settings (especially VR and front curtain) but probably on a tripod with remote release. If memory serves I have some with this problem that were hand held, but I am unable to identify them in my collection.

850_5166.jpg

I have many others, and happy to share my mistakes so others can learn. Let me know if you want some more for info or an article.

And finally an almost good one to show what I am chasing... a bit closer, better focus, and more centralised would be nice.

85A_8799.jpg

Rolling shutter effect…cause by silent shutter. Unless you have a Z8or Z9…solution is to use the mechanical shutter.

Last edited:
Anjin, Firstly a heartfelt thank you. I have been looking for an answer for over two years!

I will try that today and hope the birds don't mind the shutter noise too much, but they are getting a lot of free food! I think I will start with longer lens (f6) and gradually bring the tripod closer until I can get close enough to use my 70-200 at f2.8

Secondly, a rather British ironic thank you .... that means I need to get a Z9, and a whole host of new lenses!! Dear Santa, I have been ever so good ...

You could use the electronic first curtain shutter as well as fully mechanical shutter. The efcs opens electronically but still closes mechanically, so no rolling shutter. That's a great camera, no need to rush into mirrorless unless you need/want the advanced autofocus/subject tracking. I think Z8 is touted as the D850 replacement.

I was listening to a podcast by Eric Fossum, one of the developers of the CMOS sensor. He made the analogy of trying to measure rainfall on a football field by lining up many rows of people with buckets. He didnt mention this part but I guess in mechanical or efcs the closing of the physical shutter stops any more rain getting in any of the buckets and allows the contents of each individual bucket to be measured leisurely. But with the electronic shutter the buckets are covered and measured line by line and row by row, so the ones waiting their turn keep getting filled with rain.

Anjin, Firstly a heartfelt thank you. I have been looking for an answer for over two years!

I will try that today and hope the birds don't mind the shutter noise too much, but they are getting a lot of free food! I think I will start with longer lens (f6) and gradually bring the tripod closer until I can get close enough to use my 70-200 at f2.8

Secondly, a rather British ironic thank you .... that means I need to get a Z9, and a whole host of new lenses!! Dear Santa, I have been ever so good ...
No worries…

No need for z nikon camera this I took with a D300. exif data below

DSC_0501.JPG

Standard Information
Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON D300
Software: Ver.1.10
ImageSize: 4288x2848
ComponentsConfiguration: Y, Cb, Cr, -
CreateDate: 2010:10:05 12:53:58
ModifyDate: 2010:10:05 12:53:58
DateTimeOriginal: 2010:10:05 12:53:58
ExposureTime: 1/1250"
Aperture: F5.6
MaxAperture: F2.8