Faster action focus.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I love my Z6 but just wish it had faster action focus. So I'm considering a possible trade/sell to a D500, D780, or D850. Just don't want to rush into to anything. It is shoots really nice pics especially with the 24-70 f4 S lens but using my 200-500mm for wildlife action shots I'm getting a fair amount of misses. Now it could be me but just seems to be a little slow getting the focus. The camera is fairly new, has the latest firmware and only 1500 shots, has been a little bit of a learning curve. Any thoughts before I make a rash decision LOL.

quoting myself from a post in a different forum:
current settings: af-c (bbf, really), fc-c priority selection: release, low light af: off, af-assist: off, high+, compressed raw to a single cfe card, shutter: physical, apply settings to live view: off. i've heard that running to both cards can slow things down and i've heard that applying settings to live view can slow things down. turning off the low light assists is a guess on my part as i don't want the camera trying to rely on that and i haven't seen it be an issue anyway.

Here are the primary things I've heard suggested for action:

1) switch to 12-bit. there have been claims this speeds things up. i have not verified.
2) there is a suggestion that disabling subject detection you can use the constrained area modes like group focus which may work better for more action oriented things.
3) af-c shutter set to "release"
4) only writing a single image (no backup)
5) make sure the subject is reasonably large in the frame

quoting myself from a post in a different forum:

Here are the primary things I've heard suggested for action:

1) switch to 12-bit. there have been claims this speeds things up. i have not verified.
2) there is a suggestion that disabling subject detection you can use the constrained area modes like group focus which may work better for more action oriented things.
3) af-c shutter set to "release"
4) only writing a single image (no backup)
5) make sure the subject is reasonably large in the frame

Thanks,
I've made some of the changes from the video and another video I found. I will test it tomorrow.

It depends on what you are trying to shoot, but the 200-500mm is the slowest focusing of the Nikon telephotos. I had pretty good luck with mine. I've been using a Z7ii and 500mm PF for the last year and it works well in Dynamic and Wide Area AF modes for most subjects. There are a couple areas where I noticed it struggled more than I liked. When you try to acquire focus of BIF that is small in the frame (sometimes even larger in the frame) the focus would want to rack in then out before locating the bird causing missed opportunities. The second issue is sometimes focusing very close to the intended area of focus but far enough off that the eye wasn't in focus. Flying birds are easier with a DSLR like a D500 because of the quicker acquisition and less distracting blackout.

That is what I am getting at. Maybe the lens is causing his missed shots more than the camera. I also own a Tamron 150-600 and a 500 PF that are both much faster focus for bird in flight. That 200-500 is a dog
You need to be careful calling the 200-500 “a dog”. There are greyhounds at one end and there are labradors down the other.
The truth is that on the basis of what you get and what you pay the 200-500 isn’t a bad lens. It’s a good entry level for lots of people. That said, it’s no speed demon either. It is a bit slow to focus but worse is the time it takes to re-aquire when it loses it.

my labrador says, "who you calling slow?!" :LOL:
JN6_6919-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

We have a few variables here that bear consideration:
Lakeman posted he has a Z6. I used my 200-500mm lens on a number of Nikon DSLR's from 2016 to 2020. First a D7000, followed by D7100, then D7500. None of those cameras are in the same league as a D500 or D850 in terms of tracking fast-moving objects. In 2020 I decided to go mirrorless with the Z6 - I was just smitten with the advantages of the mirrorless camera compared to DSLR. The Z6 had some drawbacks in terms of acquiring focus on fast-moving birds and sticking with them while using the 200-500mm lens, so that was disappointing. I must add that prior to the Z6 I had never focused much on trying to photograph birds in flight, so I can't comment on whether my previous DSLR's were any better with the same lens.

When the Z6II launched I jumped on that and traded the Z6 on a new Z6II. I believe the Z6II is better at locking focus on a flying bird with the 200-500mm lens than the Z6 was. It is still not anywhere near as capable as the D500 or D850, though. I have also never used the 200-500mm lens on one of those more capable DSLR bodies, so it's very likely that the slow focus of this lens makes it less than ideal for fast action photography on ANY camera body.

There is talk from some well-informed people that Nikon is in the process of writing new firmware for the Z6/7II that will significantly improve the camera's autofocus capabilities, and that a firmware update will be released in the near future. If that happens it may well improve the ZII bodies to the point where they perform almost as well as the D500 or D850. I do believe that there is a lot of unrealized potential in the second Expeed processor that was added to the ZII bodies that could still be unlocked through improved firmware.

So for myself, now that I have more of an interest in BIF photography than before, I'm waiting for two things:
1) New, improved firmware for my Z6II.
2) Nikon's Z 200-600mm lens that is shown on the Nikon lens roadmap. I do plan to purchase that lens as soon as it becomes available.
When the above two things happen for me I'll be in a better position to evaluate whether my gear will perform well enough to satisfy my modest needs for BIF photography. I'm hopeful ...... I cannot justify spending more than 3 or 4 times as much on a better body (Z9) and a faster, much more expensive long lens. For anything other than BIF, my Z6II and my other lenses are more than good enough for the photography I do for a hobby.

So Lakeman, I agree with others here that you likely have two issues; a less capable body (one that is not likely to improve much with firmware updates), and a lens that is not best for action photography. Depending on how deeply you wish to dive into BIF photography you may have to consider replacing both camera and lens. Speaking for myself, though, I would never revert back to a DSLR at this time, no matter how much better they may currently be for BIF compared to the Z6/7(II) cameras. I just like the operation of the mirrorless bodies that much more compared to DSLR's. You spoke of a D780. That camera is probably no better with the 200-500mm lens for BIF than the Z6II, so I would not consider that body seriously if BIF is a major focus for you.

Sticking with your 200-500mm lens you may not realize enough improvement in fast action photography with a D500 or D850 body to make the switch worthwhile. On the other hand, a more capable, faster-focusing lens may also perform even better on your Z6. If I were in your position I would wait a bit longer to see whether the new Z 200-600mm lens works well for BIF, and/or whether the anticipated firmware update makes the Z6/7II significantly better for BIF. You should realize that neither of the Z6/7 cameras or the D500/D850 DSLR's are even close to the performance of the Z9 for action photography. The question is how much are you willing to spend, and how soon do you need that satisfaction?

Does anyone have experience with the Z mount 100-400mm lens? I’m considering renting one with a Z 2x converter to give it a try. Possibly may try a 500mm PF also.

Last edited:
Does anyone have experience with the Z mount 100-400mm lens? I’m considering renting one with a Z 2x converter to give it a try. Possibly may try a 500mm PF also.
I put off ordering it until yesterday, so no real experience with it other than a demo in a local store. I’ve heard favorable reviews on it though and I think there are people using it on here. I think the 500mm PF works very well with the Z cameras. It one of a few F mount lenses I bought to use with the FTZ and have been very happy with it.

I have used the 500 PF with Nikon mirrorless cameras. It focuses quickly, can be easily hand held, is very sharp and the colors are rendered very accurately. The only drawback to the 500 PF lens for me is the 5.6 aperture. On cloudy days or near sunset, it requires a fairly high ISO to capture BIF. On a brighter day, it is outstanding. I did not try it on my Z^ (now gone) but have used it on Z6 ii, Z7 ii and the Z9. Tracking and initial focus lock on the Z6 ii was OK but never great.

i’ve used and liked the sony 100-400 and just received my nikon 100-400 so no experience yet. that said, i’ll be shooting with the z9, and as folks have mentioned, the z6 does impact performance for action.

77A0D682-1828-46B6-B2CC-1948D1E60938.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I enjoy the Z100 400 lens on the Z6ii. I purchased a 2x converter yesterday and returned it today. I took about 180 images --both stationary and birds in flight--and found that pictures taken without the 2x were sharper than with it. (I processed some of the soft images upon returning home and was able develop acceptable images.) I also noticed a problem gaining quick focus on distant objects, it worked fine for close items. I am waiting for a 1.4 which I hope works better. I also have a 1.4 and 2x for my F mount lenses and do not find the same degree of problems with them that I had with the Z 2x.

Back